Is my rabbit pregant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay2322

Reaction score
On August 28th we saw our male trying to get one of our females pregnant. We aren't sure if he got her or not because we walked away.

Soon after we saw she was growing a dulap. (She is a Rex rabbit). My grandfather told us she is most likely pregnant however we aren't sure. Soon before that we had noticed aggresive behavior we hadn't noticed before. (She growled and bit my hand)

Wednesday Septmeber 22nd we moved her into a pen on her own. Yesterday and today (today is Sunday September 26) we have realized she hasn't been touching her pellets but she will eat greens. We have also noticed hair in her water.

I forgot to mention the past three days she has been laying in her straw more then normal. She has formed almost a cradel in it.

We are having trouble figuring out whats going on! Is my rabbit pregnant?

Last edited:
Hi Kay,

Your doe is probably pregnant, but that is not the major concern at the moment.

You need to treat her as though she is pregnant, even if it turns out she is not.

If you haven't already given her a nest box, please do so immediately, so she can build her nest and get comfortable with where she will kindle.
If this is her first litter, this becomes doubly important. Our nights here in Southern Ontario are chilly just now and you don't want to find chilled dead kits scattered across the cage floor.

Do it tonight. If you don't have a proper nest box (and you should always have one in reserve) improvise with a plastic bin or even a cardboard box with an access door cut in it. Be sure to anchor it to the cage wire so it won't tip, and don't put it near the doe's potty corner or she may inadvertently pee on the kits.

The buck had means, motive, and opportunity -- I doubt very much that he did not follow through. Rabbits are induced ovulators -- for those unfamiliar with the term, this means that they will usually ovulate in response to sexual stimulation. This is one strategy nature uses to ensure survival of a prey species. So one must consider a rabbit pregnant if she had contact with a buck, even if you did not witness the act itself.

This is not an emergency yet -- make sure it doesn't become one.

Hoping for a successful kindling for your doe. I'm glad you joined RabbitTalk when you did, while there is still time to take action. She may kindle anytime in the next few days but leave that nest box in the cage for at least a week to ten days. So often I've heard the sad refrain: "We didn't think she was pregnant after all, so we removed the box. She kindled the next night and they died on the wire."

based on what you are seeing, assume she is pregnant, get her a nestbox ASAP. If she has a solid bottom to her cage and you don't have a nestbox give her a WHOLE WHACK of straw/hay to use until you can get a nestbox built for her. Items Some people use if they don't have the means to build a nestbox out of wood: orange crates, square cat litter pails (cut half the lid off for access and anchor (they tend to be tippy) and stuff it full of hay or straw, in a pinch a very solid cardboard box will work, make sure it fits her length plus one inch all around.

Thank you all for the replies. We put a nesting box in her pen!!!

I will keep everyone updated on if she had babies.
Yes, please do! I always like hearing the end of the story. It also lets us know if we were correct in our assessment of the situation.

Thank you all for the replies. We put a nesting box in her pen!!!

I will keep everyone updated on if she had babies.
Your rabbit also needs plenty of material to build the nest with. Did you put straw or hay in there as well?

Kay, you sound like a most observant and mature young woman to me -- I'd have guessed older than 12. When one begins any new venture, there are always a lot of specific terms to learn - and it takes time to get used to them. You're doing fine. Don't be afraid to ask about any term that puzzles you. We all had the same learning curve when we were beginning with rabbits.

Kay, you sound like a most observant and mature young woman to me -- I'd have guessed older than 12. When one begins any new venture, there are always a lot of specific terms to learn - and it takes time to get used to them. You're doing fine. Don't be afraid to ask about any term that puzzles you. We all had the same learning curve when we were beginning with rabbits.
Thanks so much!! I'll let you know if I have any questions

Last night I gave my doe a cardboard nesting box and I came home from school today seeing that she ate a small portion of it. Is this normal behavior? Should I leave it in or take it out?

if you can, pick her up and place your hand on her abdomen right under her hind legs and feel with your fingers, since she is so far along, feel for any hard round masses and it shouldn't be too hard. Don't be scared to feel around and see if maybe you can feel a baby or two to see if she is pregnant. Even if you don't feel anything, continue treating her like she's pregnant.

if you can, pick her up and place your hand on her abdomen right under her hind legs and feel with your fingers, since she is so far along, feel for any hard round masses and it shouldn't be too hard. Don't be scared to feel around and see if maybe you can feel a baby or two to see if she is pregnant. Even if you don't feel anything, continue treating her like she's pregnant.
Thank you! It's already dark so I will try in the morning!

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but it is also normal if she starts pulling her fur out. She will use it to line her nest with. If she is pregnant, will this be her first time? How old is she?

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but it is also normal if she starts pulling her fur out. She will use it to line her nest with. If she is pregnant, will this be her first time? How old is she?
She is 6 months old so yes this would be her first time.

Back