Is it the time of year? Understanding frustrations...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there something with this time of year? I have been reading a number of threads on breeding frustrations and was thankful to not have had to really deal with it... until now. I have had a few stubborn does, but usually would get at least one or two to lift eventually. I tried 5 different does of varying ages with 2 different bucks today. A couple newbies, a couple proven breeders. Bucks were all in, rip roarin' ready to go! The does? Not so much... their butts were glued to the wire! Maybe they are trying to tell me something? We're predicted to have a cold winter, and I know animal behaviors can really tell the forecast if you pay close attention. I am wondering if they know of impending cold weather and instinctively know that kits wouldn't be a good idea? Or do you think being domesticated takes some of those instincts out?

Mine breed all winter long, even through our terrible winter last year.

I find they are more likely to be in the mood during nice weather, so in winter I'll wait for the type of day I want to be out there standing with them.
Bright sunny winter days make them feel frisky, I guess. ;)
Morning or evening is best, since those are their peak activity times.

Mine don't slow down in the winter and I breed all year here in Ontario but I do supply artificial lighting l which is supposed to help keep their libido up

It was right at noon, so maybe I interrupted their siestas :roll: .

I don't have any supplemental light, and I know my chickens stopped laying weeks ago... hmmm...

I've had best luck first thing in the morning. Did add a light to the rabbitry today. I have read that rabbits breed best when they get 14-16 hours of day light. But there is so much information and each rabbit is an individual and they have their own plans. :x :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some find light helps and some find it doesn't matter. When mine were outside they were kept in a rather dark building that was even darker in winter when the doors were closed. Most bred all year but only some could manage to raise kits through our cold spells. I had one doe that was bred almost constantly for 4years straight. She was impossible to handle or contain in a colony when she wasn't bred. She'd tear wire barriers down to get to bucks and attack the wire in cages. I think her restlessness when not bred was more stressful and used up more energy than just breeding her so I did what she wanted. She was happy, stayed in good condition except some rough areas of coat from pulling fur regularly, and given enough straw she would bury her nest box 3' deep until I wasn't sure how she got to the kits. At 4 weeks old the kits would pop out no matter how cold it got in Jan. A week of -30F didn't stop her.

I'm wondering if he was still successful in his flailing because I put 3 of the same does in again this morning and all three were very vocal with him, one full on fought him (I wasn't expecting that and had to reach in bare handed/armed :x thankfully no damage done). I guess time will tell! I have had a doe get pregnant without lifting, and no fall offs from the buck. I figured it was a fluke... maybe not? I know all had wet rear ends when I put them back :roll:

Either that or he's that annoying :lol:

Bred two does a few weeks ago. Mine are under lights. I bumped it up to 14 hours a day for the two weeks prior to that and those two does lifted like champs, something they don't ever do lol.

Latest posts

Back