Is it really possible to cut costs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PulpFaction":307ai1l1 said:
Devon, cutting litter in pans and changing more often is a good idea. Do you have duratrays or regular metal ones? How do you prevent calcium deposits? I find that with some rabbits, even leaving urine in the pan over night will start crusting it up. I think I will be investing in duratrays first chance I get. I suspect it will increase their longevity with winter changing quite a bit. (Metal ones tend to, um, dent when knocked repeatedly against solid objects to loosen their frozen contents. Go figure.)

I have metal trays that I'm slowly going to replace with Duratrays, honestly some of my trays are literally crumbling and they're just a few years old.

Calcium deposits on the cage floors I scrub with a bbq brush and a vinegar/water solution. As for cleaning the trays I use a wide metal putty knife/paint scraper. Dump the trays scrape the contents spray with deodorizer and disinfectant replace (in the winter I don't have running water to clean them). In the case of frozen piles the putty knife does a great job of prying them off the metal a bit of force is required though. I don't use vinegar on the trays because it makes them wear out faster.

A couple of my trays were actually frozen to the cages when I cleaned them today I had some rather annoyed rabbits by the time I pried them free.

I don't like stainless on galv cause it will 'clean' the galv right off the wire

Jack":132r7j7l said:
I put the stall ease stuff for horse in the pans, it helps cut the smell, I don't put litter in the pans, I just dump some snow in them and use putty knife to scrape it clean.

Stall ease is the clay sand stuff, right? Where do you get that? I know the have Sweet PDZ or whatever at Wal-Mart, same stuff?

If you are looking to cut costs on Water-bottles:
We all have experienced the water-bottle that cracks or breaks
haven't we? Try using Soda Bottles the 32OZ cap will fit
either a two liter or one liter Soda Bottle.
You can purchase the Caps through most Catalogs.
I fashion my own holders from Cage wire.
I use a two liter bottle especially with the Dams with kits.
I hope this helps some.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

your right, ug, don't get the stall ease, I use the sweet PDZ, thas the right stuff, if granular and doesn't turn to clay, and works well

Latest posts

Back