Is it okay for only 1 kit to stay in nest box (in Michigan)?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
Yesterday our Sable Point Holland Lop had 1 kit (only 1 :( ). The baby seems to look fine and is doing fine.

The doe pulled a lot of fur to keep it warm, but I'm concerned with the expected weather of the upcoming week where highs will be in the low 40's and lows below freezing.

Our rabbits are kept in our 2 car attached garage where temps usually stay in the low 40's even in the coldest of winters. The nest box has a thin piece of wood for a floor (which is removable) and 1/4"x1/4" mesh underneath so that when kits get bigger and pee more I can take the wood out and so that they don't have to sit in their urine. So for now this single kit is in the next box filled with hay and the does hair. Unfortunately the kit doesn't have any brothers/sisters to snuggle with.

The last litter she had 4 kits, that was at the end of September. I'm surprised that we only got one this time, but maybe it was because winter was still here when we bred her, and it was this bucks first time. I believe I have read on Rabbit Talk that does can have more kits "later", but how much "later". It's been almost 24 hours and she seems as cool as can be, so I would be highly surprised if she were to have more.

We are thinking that we should bring the nest box in the house and just take it out there twice per day, yet we don't want to go out and find babies born (or dead) on the wire if she has more. So how long should we leave the box out there 24/7?

Also can only 1 kit drink that much milk so that the doe doesn't get mastitis?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you very much!!!
:bunnyhop:

You should bring the kit in. A single kit will not be able to stay warm enough. If you don't have a spare nest box to leave with the doe, house the kit in something else when it is indoors. A cardboard box or plastic bin will work fine. Be sure it has a snug nest and if necessary give it a hot water bottle placed on one side of the box so the kit can get away from it if it is too warm.

The doe may have more kits to come, but even if she doesn't her milk supply will adjust according to the demand. Keep an eye open for signs of mastitis, but I would be surprised if it is a problem.

Latest posts

Back