is it ok to use fur from one does nest in anothers nest?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner1965

Reaction score
sumtimes i have i have a does that doesnt appear to pull enough fur for a good nest while the doe nearby has way more than enough.is ok to transfer the fur from one nest to another?is it ok to save some of the fur and nest material for future use?

Lots of people save fur for that purpose. As long as the fur is not soiled and the doe you are taking it from is in good health, I believe direct transfer would be okay... personally, I would prefer to disinfect it in some way first, even if only leaving it exposed to sunlight for a few days.

Maggie was speaking about this in another recent post, and she mentions using dryer lint, tugged apart cotton balls, etc.

I think most does will not have a problem with another doe's fur in the nest, but there could be exceptions. Probably a good idea to air it out rather than use it "fresh". But in a pinch, I would certainly use it.

In the summer I used the large amount of dor fur I brushed from my dog to replace the very soiled bunny fur in the nest... but since bunny fur is so much better (warmer) than dog fur I don't do it in the winter unless the kits have their own fur.
I've had few problems taking fur from one nest to use in another... maybe I'm paranoid, but I plop the doe in the nest with the new fur just so she knows...

Latest posts

Back