Is 10 months too old to breed Netherland Dwarf doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the doe and how she was fed, if she was allowed to develop fat around the ovaries, and if she is narrow to begin with. I bred a holland for the first time at three years old and got 1 live kit out of five breedings. I bred a mini rex for the first time at 8 mos and she died. If the price is right, I'd try a 10 mos old, but wouldn't go past a year.

The rule, as I see it with everything I've read, is to stay under a year for first breeding with small breeds. 10-12 months is optimum. Anything after that, you possibly will have issues. I know there are cases where all went well with a older doe first time, but it seems they are far and few. Best bet, stay under a year.

Karen

I think I'll go ahead then. The other question I have is -- How do you tell if your Nethie is fat? I really can't tell, in photos of other peoples nethies they usually look pretty round- mine looks round too, but I don't know if that's how she's supposed to be or if she's just fat. I know with dogs, if you can't feel the ribs they are too fat- but how do you tell with a little rabbit?

I go by my rabbits spine. Willard is a true Netherland so he's my guide. If I can feel his spine, I know he's not fat. But if there is padding there and not feeling the spine, I know he's putting on weight. Can understand what you mean by being round and can't tell. That's why I had to research and this guide is what I found. Though he's just a pet, I don't want to let him lose his figure. Been like that with all my pets.

Karen

Latest posts

Back