Iodine added to water! (Health hack!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartbased Homestead

Reaction score
Hi rabbit fam!

I've seen in rabbit circles ACV recommended in water, which I do not oppose. But personally I do the opposite to my water - instead of probiotics I add a sterilizer, even though I don't believe germs cause disease.

I don't do it for the sterile effects but rather for the metal toxicity prevention (and the nutrient boost that comes with it). The scientific explanation is that in lieu of iodine - the body uptakes metals inappropriate for it's biology - like aluminum and other toxic metals. Obviously I know very little about this subject, but I do know aluminum is destructive, and metal toxicity is the underlying cause of many diseases. I welcome additions from more studied individuals!

Another benefit of iodine in the water is that it prevents bio build up in lines and buckets, keeping your system less prone to clogging.

There are ineffective iodines, you can't buy higher than 2% on amazon or any irl stores. I purchase mine at 10 or 20 % from Lugol's naturals website.

Warning! Please note! Use with caution. Iodine is very easy to overdose on and can result in death. I only use 4 or 5 drops in a 6 gal bucket.

I don't think this is a good idea at all, or does what you think it does. Also I'm sure you're wrong about germs not to be the cause of diseases. Sure, toxins are a cause too, and stress too can compromise the immun system.

Aluminium is under scrutiny for some things, like contributing to Alzheimers, but metal toxicity is on a somewhat higher level. Unless you happen to live in Flint and assuming that iodine does those things, it is way more likely that you add an additional problem instead of solving something that in most of western countries isn't one.

Last edited:
NL pretty much has the best drinking water from the tap in the world, adding things to prevent toxicity is more likely to make it toxic instead.
So many baseless, fear-based "this will likely be bad" statements. No actual scientific understanding, just woo-woo 'we don't understand this so therefor it's bad' statements. A true tragedy of the mind.

Thank you for reminding me! When I had the rabbitry in the larger (hot) area for the winter I had a spray bottle of betadine (povidone iodine) that I spritzed into their water every once in awhile. Never hurt anyone :) When I moved to the tiny 'summer' area under the trees, I moved stuff over piecemeal because I have little room. I need to grab that bottle. A couple of the automatic bowls seem to get slimy, that should fix it.

Just info, I have never had an adult or young rabbit ever get sick or even have mites - they are super healthy & withstood the 117' heat with no problems. During the heat one doe raised 10 healthy kits and one raised 9, so no problems in that area either.

When I scratch myself on rusty wire covered in rabbit urine, I spritz it with betadine, it heals within a day and I'm 67.

For myself, I take Lugol's iodine every couple days and I no longer take thyroid supplements prescribed by the doctor!!! NEVER AGAIN!!

BTW I bought 10% Lugol's made in USA online through Walmart site. I'd prefer to go through Lugol's but didn't know they had their own site.

So...

1. You stated :germs don't cause disease: Since this thinking goes against common knowledge based on scientific research, explain yourself. Not just what you believe that what you have studied and learned. I'm not interested in your gut opinion but in FACT.
2. iodine is good for SHORT TERM prevention of water born pathogens. I've found only one person that advocated for it's use against metal toxicity, but there's not real proof beyond this one person's reasoning. Most of the generally accepted wisdom is that long term use of iodine isn't to our benefit.
3. You are equating rabbit need with human needs. Just because humans can do something (ill advised or no) doesn't mean that's safe for rabbits. if you could actually SHOW ME a study on rabbits suffering from metal toxicity that would be fantastic. OR even show me a real study on iodine preventing metal toxicity in humans on a LONG TERM SCALE even better... because that is what you are advocating. Give me proof... or stop spouting controversial... nonsense?
4. If you are going to say controversial things I would suggest you come up with real studies and real proofs for your statements instead of doing the "I'm not expert but I believe XYZ but welcome the input of experts". But doing this you are basically being a person trying to cause disharmony. We're on this board to be genuinely helpful to others, not to cause disharmony or present odd theorems without solid backing behind them.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I seriously do not care if anybody follows anything I say or not. As a matter of fact I probably prefer they don't. However I just put it out there as my own experiences. As with everything use your own judgment. I can just tell you it's worked really well for me and keeps my water containers slime free and my rabbit's super healthy. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Regarding the other posts and "Peer-reviewed studies and accepted science", that's the problem that got us into the situation we're in today where 99% of people take some sort of pharmaceutical drug and everyone worries about whether they're ill or not all the time.

One thing that will explain the current situation is to look into how the Rockefellers changed the medical education system from natural medicine to pharmaceuticals. It's well documented. Here is a concise explanation which you probably won't believe becomes it comes from a naturopath, so look it up yourself in a place you will believe. How Rockefeller Created the Business of Western Medicine

You are hopefully aware that for the past 3 years they have been publicly censoring highly educated well-respected doctors if they vary from condoned language. Do you think this is actually a new behavior?

Again just my outlook and again I don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees. But I feel that if someone out there would like to know that they are not alone in thinking this way I will put it out there. If they want more information I'm glad to provide it. And again YMMV.

Ps. bacteria and toxins can cause illness

I must say that I am very saddened by the attacks against someone sharing their experience/thoughts.

If I see a post that says rabbits' personalities & health are based on their horoscope signs, I can choose to believe it or not, and I can do more research or ignore it.

I don't think anyone should be accused of causing disharmony with those who do not believe in horoscopes.

How much do you want to bet there are people on this site that DO believe that the moon influences their rabbits?

Should we shut them down? Not allow them to put their opinions/beliefs out out in public?

Thus - "I don't believe it and you shouldn't either. If you believe it you are disruptive. We must all believe the same thing and you must prove anything you have to say."

Last edited:
Hi rabbit fam!

I've seen in rabbit circles ACV recommended in water, which I do not oppose. But personally I do the opposite to my water - instead of probiotics I add a sterilizer, even though I don't believe germs cause disease.

I don't do it for the sterile effects but rather for the metal toxicity prevention (and the nutrient boost that comes with it). The scientific explanation is that in lieu of iodine - the body uptakes metals inappropriate for it's biology - like aluminum and other toxic metals. Obviously I know very little about this subject, but I do know aluminum is destructive, and metal toxicity is the underlying cause of many diseases. I welcome additions from more studied individuals!

Another benefit of iodine in the water is that it prevents bio build up in lines and buckets, keeping your system less prone to clogging.

There are ineffective iodines, you can't buy higher than 2% on amazon or any irl stores. I purchase mine at 10 or 20 % from Lugol's naturals website.

Warning! Please note! Use with caution. Iodine is very easy to overdose on and can result in death. I only use 4 or 5 drops in a 6 gal bucket.
It's not all THAT easy to overdose on, at least for humans. You could do it, but not without taking an awful lot of it (and it doesn't taste very good, so... Maybe more likely for rabbits, though. I don't know. I take Lugols myself; the 5%. It's helping with my hyperthyroidism.

For the first time ever, my labs have improved & the doc lowered my dose of synthroid. The only thing I had changed was taking up gardening. No one even suggested (nor did it occur to me) that as we need iodine for proper thyroid function, and iodine comes from plants growing on good soil and/or soil fertilized naturally, we might need to supplement iodine.

Commercial fertilizers are mostly made from petroleum products. That works for the plants. They get what they need, but we don't get what WE need, not once the natural minerals in the soil have been depleted. So... Anyway, like I said, It does appear to work.

As for the bunnies, maybe I'll add a bit of iodine for them in the winter. (Good idea!) All summer they've gotten plenty of yummy weeds... they love thistles & bindweed & all sorts of things & my hubby likes to have me pulling them up, so that works for everyone. 😏 In winter though, they mostly get by on pellets, so a few drops may be in order.

It's not all THAT easy to overdose on, at least for humans. You could do it, but not without taking an awful lot of it (and it doesn't taste very good, so... Maybe more likely for rabbits, though. I don't know. I take Lugols myself; the 5%. It's helping with my hyperthyroidism.

For the first time ever, my labs have improved & the doc lowered my dose of synthroid. The only thing I had changed was taking up gardening. No one even suggested (nor did it occur to me) that as we need iodine for proper thyroid function, and iodine comes from plants growing on good soil and/or soil fertilized naturally, we might need to supplement iodine.

Commercial fertilizers are mostly made from petroleum products. That works for the plants. They get what they need, but we don't get what WE need, not once the natural minerals in the soil have been depleted. So... Anyway, like I said, It does appear to work.

As for the bunnies, maybe I'll add a bit of iodine for them in the winter. (Good idea!) All summer they've gotten plenty of yummy weeds... they love thistles & bindweed & all sorts of things & my hubby likes to have me pulling them up, so that works for everyone. 😏 In winter though, they mostly get by on pellets, so a few drops may be in order.
Addendum: By "an awful lot of iodine" from my research, doctors used to prescribe up to around a hundred mg, but usually lower doses, (for a human, of course. Wayyyy too much for a little bunny). Before we began to add chlorine to our municipal water supplies, iodine was often used to make water safe to drink. Even now, it's used for long hiking trips where the hikers may need to drink from creeks or lakes, etc. So, it's a pretty safe supplement/water treatment as long as it's taken in appropriate amts (which is the case for pretty much every supplement).

I must say that I am very saddened by the attacks against someone sharing their experience/thoughts.

If I see a post that says rabbits' personalities & health are based on their horoscope signs, I can choose to believe it or not, and I can do more research or ignore it.

I don't think anyone should be accused of causing disharmony with those who do not believe in horoscopes.

How much do you want to bet there are people on this site that DO believe that the moon influences their rabbits?

Should we shut them down? Not allow them to put their opinions/beliefs out out in public?

Thus - "I don't believe it and you shouldn't either. If you believe it you are disruptive. We must all believe the same thing and you must prove anything you have to say."
That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying back up what you are saying instead of saying "this is what I believe but other experts can pop in" but this is what I believe and this is WHY I believe it. Something definitive that one can truly then think about and work with to do additional research. But when people follow up with disagreement those people are feeling "patted on the head and shushed like disagreeable children". Be adult and factual in discussions. Use facts not just gut feelings and suppositions when postulating something that goes against the established norm.

And yes, there are lots of people who breed to the moon. I don't get it. I don't really care. I won't discuss it. But I've read enough posts by people who DO breed to the moon to understand their reasoning, their reasoning seems illogical to me, ergo I don't get the focus on it.

That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying back up what you are saying instead of saying "this is what I believe but other experts can pop in" but this is what I believe and this is WHY I believe it. Something definitive that one can truly then think about and work with to do additional research. But when people follow up with disagreement those people are feeling "patted on the head and shushed like disagreeable children". Be adult and factual in discussions. Use facts not just gut feelings and suppositions when postulating something that goes against the established norm.

I appreciate the clarification. I really don't care to discuss this endlessly either, however, I will point out that "the established norm" has not been proven. It is theoretical - "germ theory".

If one does research through an unbiased source (meaning not funded by Rockefeller, Pfizer, etc) you can see this. It has been well hidden, but is coming out.

The germ theory is a theory and they have never 'proved' the 'established norm' but it makes a lot of money for them.

Terrain theory (the idea that 'germs' are all around all the time, but everyone is not always sick, it is dependent on your body/mind/soul condition & ability to be affected. Witness the people who nursed the dying, or even people within a family unit)

So, basically, neither of us can 'prove' our theories. What really opened my eyes is the fact that they are now openly censoring doctors, scientists, biologists, virologists & more if they do not agree with the current 'party line' ... One may choose to look deeper or to continue down the old path.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

I just want to make a note about scientific theory because its something that I see mentioned here a lot.

A scientific fact = hard data (as in the results from an experiment).
A scientific theory = an explanation of the facts

Typically by the time something has been called a Theory, it has undergone significant testing and scrutiny and is as "proven" as it would ever be. Science, generally, does not PROVE anything. All we can say is that "at this point, all of the facts explain this." There is no point where a Theory becomes a Fact.

The other aspect of a Theory is that it is able to predict the outcomes of further testing due to the prior testing. For example, The Theory of Gravity is still a theory but I can predict that when I drop something, it is going to fall and all of the scientific evidence at this point predicts that it will fall.

One of the cool things about science is that it is generally open to scrutiny and as soon as facts start showing evidence away from anything that has been generally accepted by the scientific community, that it will be explored. But this is also why double blind controlled experiments are the gold standard for scientific experiments (vs anecdotal evidence or case reports.)

Also, of note, good science tends to test something against what is believed (the null hypothesis). In layman's terms, I want to be proven wrong.

There was also mention of "natural medicine" and I will tell you that there are studies on these in the scientific community and some of them have even been proven to work. Example: tea with honey and lemon has been shown to be affective supportive treatment for viral respiratory infections.
One such study: Prevention and Treatment of Influenza, Influenza-Like Illness, and Common Cold by Herbal, Complementary, and Natural Therapies - PubMed

When it comes to the specific topic here of iodine, my general input would be that "the dose makes the poison." Because, hell, even too much water can kill. This discussion has informed me on a few things - Went to pubmed.com and typed in "iodine deficiencies" and am learning a bit about how iodine supplementation is used clinically.

Back