interesting salt lick

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get ones like that for my horses, they last forever and don't crumble when they get wet like the pressed salt ones. The horses really like them too.

They seem to like them but it's kind of hard to tell if a netherland dwarf rabbit has been licking a 2lb ball of salt. :lol: It tasted rather strong and odd when I licked it. Much more metallic and maybe a touch bitter compared to normal processed salt blocks.

Yes I have tasted all sorts of animal feed blocks and pellets before giving them to my animals. If it's got something in it that I wouldn't want to ingest in a small quantity then I probably don't want to feed it to my animals in large quantities. Except for the hedgehogs' cat food. I am not a strict carnivore with the digestive tract to handle the possible bacteria on those foods. People have come down with salmonella handling cat and dog kibble or treats.

Don't feel weird, my husband and I try all the animal foods too. Well except the hay...

I'm interested to see how your rabbits continue to like this salt ball. I've been thinking of getting a few.

If feeding a lot of hay and veggies, instead of pellets, -then - I would recomend a salt designed for sheep in your area, -- it will have the minerals typically in short supply in your soils-- I use Himalayan salt on my food, and think it is wonderful--

We're feeding a pellet with no added salt. It's custom made by someone here for small herbivores. We switched to it because that's the best thing we can find for the chinchllas. Chinchillas only eat tablespoons of pellets a day and netherlands don't eat a whole lot so we are just going to feed them all the same thing. It's only slightly more expensive than major rabbit pellet brands.

Ingredients: Sun cured alfalfa, oats, wheat, soybean hulls, soy meal, Choline Chloride, stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin A supplement,Vitamin E supplement, Manganese Oxide, Menadione Bisulfate, dl-Methionine, Zinc Oxide, d-Calcium Pantothenate,Copper Sulfate, Niacin, d-Biotin supplement, Pyrideoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Riboflavin, supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cane molasses.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 18.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 3.5 %
Crude Fiber (min) 18.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 23.00 %
Vitamin A (IU/LB) 13,640
Vitamin D-3 (ICU/LB) 455
Vitamin C (MG/LB) 450
Calcium (min) 0.7 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.4 %

I know nothing about Iowa, -- but,- here -and in the west, selenium deficiency , among other things, in our soils contributes to reproductive troubles, -- so-- is added to salt rations designed for our part of the country. -and so it goes for boron, and other things in other areas--
-------------that is why I suggest Sheep salt for rabbits----------
---- The typical "concentrate" , or "premix", used to make most [if not all]feed rations available to you , from any source, are not going to provide for these "local" requirements. -- the addition of these mineral added salt blocks, will help with many "phantom"problems that we would normally blame on our livestock--or their genetic material--

All the livestock salt and mineral supplements I've seen in stores are just one big brand that is sold all over the country. They are not specific to an area. The same equine mineral blocks we buy here for our horses are the same ones the people on the west coast and east coast using the horse forums buy. The same loose goat minerals I was using for the rabbits when feeding without a pellet is sold in the south.

Akane--I called my farm feed supplier, -- and it looks like you are right-- he has been buying the salt /mineral formulation most used by ranchers in this area from a large supplier, -he has to know what to order for us-- they no longer ship the "right stuff" to each area-- we all have to research and find out what our area is short of and order accordingly--- [I looked up one of them]--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Champions Choice® Selenium “90” Trace Mineral Salt Bag and Block

A fine-screened salt or compressed block specially formulated with trace minerals to meet the requirements of beef and dairy cattle, swine and horses. Selenium is added as a supplement for use in selenium-deficient areas.

Packaging:

50 lb paper bag
22.7 kg paper bag (French/English)
50 lb block with label
50 lb block with sleeve
22.7 kg block with label (French/English) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> http://www.multiminusa.com/resources/trace-minerals
here is a map you can click on to find out about USA local deficiencys--

I learned an expensive lesson about mineral deficiencys when I had a hog farm, I was having a lot of complications at farrowing time. and was spending a lot on antibiotics, and loosing litters to MMA [mastitus, metritus, aglaxia]- My vet had me add selenium, and a few other minerals to my feed ration [I made my own feed at the farm] -and all those problems just went away. -- I had "assumed" the feed companys suppling my "concentrate" and vitimin/mineral "premix" had put what I needed in the sack. I was wrong-- they do not make commercial feeds that supply needs of diferent areas of the country. so-- as soon as I added the extra minerals to my feed that were short in my area, my profit increased a lot, and my labor/ expence decreased a lot. [ a lot less sick animals, larger litters, larger weening numbers,and higher birth weights]-- so - would sugest to anyone who is having a lot of trouble with does at kindling time or complications after birth, to see about adding a little mineral block to see if it helps- "for me at my place" the addition of mineral block with selenium made my reproductive issues just "go away".

I have my hay tested and mix up a mineral mix for the horses to compliment my forage. I've been trying it on the bunnies too, minerals are interesting things.

The guy we get our bales of hay from applies minerals to his fields several times a year. I haven't seen the exact analysis of his hay but it shouldn't need anything added except those vitamins/minerals that break down over the life of the hay. May be why my animals are not huge on mineral blocks like they used to be. We used to have to give a mineral supplement and it would be destroyed quickly by the larger livestock or the animals would develop pica where they ate random items like dirt due to mineral deficiency. For chinchillas we are shipping in a high quality bluegrass from the west coast and cut it with our legume hay for cost. You can find high quality legume hay here if you hunt for it but there simply is no high quality grass hay for animals that can't have constant legume hay.

that is a very amazing hay farmer, -- most "farmers" just add enough "fertilizer" to the field to make a crop and get it sold.[chemical fertilizers]
and-- so- in the US- we have over 10,000 acres of prime farm land lost to "chemical burnout" each year. -- a trend that has no future---

Latest posts

Back