Insurance Eye-opener

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Being that chatty person that i am at times... was talking with my insurance broker last year sometime. Mentioned I had rabbits and sold them. She said 'hmm.. good to know' or something equally vague.

To my surprise... about a week ago our insurance was cancelled because "we breed rabbits and sell them".

I queried this and learned that they won't cover the breeding and selling of animals because of liability issues AND if something had happened and they had learned of the same that it would give them reason to NOT cover any insurance issues.

We'll be getting new insurance sometime this week AND I am NOT allowed at all to have people come to our house to pick up animals. I have to meet them off property (so I have to cross the street and meet them there). (fun NOT). Good thing most rabbits go off property to the big city.

Just thought I'd give you all a heads up and this has been a total eye opener for me.

Didn't realize a simple thing of buying/selling rabbits on or off property could get my insurance cancelled AND if I hadn't told them and made a claim and they learned about it... that it could be denied. Good thing to know. ON A positive note... I will soon have liability coverage if I go to a rabbit show. :)

Might be something you want to think about yourself. :)

Oh wow - pools, trampolines, my MIL (who works in insurance) has "warned" us about all of those, but I would have never though about rabbit breeding and selling. I wonder how much that varies from place to place since my area is largely farmland (well, used to be). Is it the same for any animals I wonder?

I'm not hugely surprised. The liability issue is exactly another reason why my rabbitry is a closed one. If someone gets bitten, even by a rabbit, even by the rabbit they are buying, even after they bought it, if they were still on your property at the time, they're able to go to your insurance company for damages. Might not get anything but the fact it was an incident on your property with something you were "selling"... it's an issue and your insurance company will make it very well known that it's an issue. In my case doesn't help I'm getting a maremma again after the move and those suckers don't play when they decide someone/something shouldn't be there. No thanks to the liability of people thinking they can just swing by whenever and that's not even mentioning buyers tripping and falling or bringing little children that wander off and get hurt while the "adults" are talking. (I was terrified of chickens clear to adulthood because I WAS that kid that wandered off then got jumped by a broody hen when I messed with the adjacent nest. :|)

Deer Heart":3opm3zii said:
I'm not hugely surprised. The liability issue is exactly another reason why my rabbitry is a closed one. If someone gets bitten, even by a rabbit, even by the rabbit they are buying, even after they bought it, if they were still on your property at the time, they're able to go to your insurance company for damages. Might not get anything but the fact it was an incident on your property with something you were "selling"... it's an issue and your insurance company will make it very well known that it's an issue. In my case doesn't help I'm getting a maremma again after the move and those suckers don't play when they decide someone/something shouldn't be there. No thanks to the liability of people thinking they can just swing by whenever.

I actually won't have a yard sale on my property after reading a couple of incidents of people seeking easy money... setting up "accidents" :evil:

I am pretty sure I will have a "closed rabbitry" when I start selling more... too many stories of crazy things happening. Up until now I have either just sold them at the local F&S or sent them to the freezer, but Friday I am meeting a guy with a breeding trio. Glad he was the one wanting to meet so it was a non-issue anyway.

heritage":2cue7fqi said:
I actually won't have a yard sale on my property after reading a couple of incidents of people seeking easy money... setting up "accidents" :evil:

I am pretty sure I will have a "closed rabbitry" when I start selling more... too many stories of crazy things happening. Up until now I have either just sold them at the local F&S or sent them to the freezer, but Friday I am meeting a guy with a breeding trio. Glad he was the one wanting to meet so it was a non-issue anyway.

We get them all the time! Sadly you learn a lot of bad things from humanity when dealing in animal control. Last year we had a woman throwing an absolute snit because we wouldn't "beef up" our report more. She went to a garage sale with her minor daughter. The hosts tiny chihuahua got out and approached them. The mother LET her daughter pet the dog, the dog jumped up on her and scratched her with a claw, did not break skin, left just the white line on skin surface. She verbally attacked the property owners and then called us (even told us that part when she called, admitted that she wanted the dog deemed dangerous and put to sleep and told the animal owners that before leaving she'd make sure their dog was put to sleep) was mad that we wouldn't treat an accidental scratch as a bite. Got even madder when our report reflected exactly what she told us the day of and what she told the officer when they went out. TOOK HER DAUGHTER TO THE HOSPITAL FOR THIS. Then changed her story completely to say the dog ran out of nowhere and bit her daughter. :| She was even more furious when all we did was educate owners on control (not even as dog never left its property) and close it. Was very verbal about her plans to sue them. Right after closure an attorney representing her called for the records of the case. We never heard from her again after that.

Deer Heart":3v80x6we said:
heritage":3v80x6we said:

We get them all the time! Sadly you learn a lot of bad things from humanity when dealing in animal control. Last year we had a woman throwing an absolute snit because we wouldn't "beef up" our report more. She went to a garage sale with her minor daughter. The hosts tiny chihuahua got out and approached them. The mother LET her daughter pet the dog, the dog jumped up on her and scratched her with a claw, did not break skin, left just the white line on skin surface. She verbally attacked the property owners and then called us (even told us that part when she called, admitted that she wanted the dog deemed dangerous and put to sleep and told the animal owners that before leaving she'd make sure their dog was put to sleep) was mad that we wouldn't treat an accidental scratch as a bite. Got even madder when our report reflected exactly what she told us the day of and what she told the officer when they went out. TOOK HER DAUGHTER TO THE HOSPITAL FOR THIS. Then changed her story completely to say the dog ran out of nowhere and bit her daughter. :| She was even more furious when all we did was educate owners on control (not even as dog never left its property) and close it. Was very verbal about her plans to sue them. Right after closure an attorney representing her called for the records of the case. We never heard from her again after that.

My MIL told me of an incident a number of years ago when a newer family to our (very) small (and pretty much all family!) church came in and the child went up to the SS teacher to give her a hug. As soon as she did the child started screaming about being touched and she looked up to see the dad standing there with a video camera. They later admitted they were needing money.

heritage":1pf6lf7z said:
Deer Heart":1pf6lf7z said:
heritage":1pf6lf7z said:

My MIL told me of an incident a number of years ago when a newer family to our (very) small (and pretty much all family!) church came in and the child went up to the SS teacher to give her a hug. As soon as she did the child started screaming about being touched and she looked up to see the dad standing there with a video camera. They later admitted they were needing money.

that's just sick, and disturbing

You know, this stuff sounds really wierd to my ears. Mostly unthinkable over here. Not many here even know the term "Lawsuit Paranoia"...

Insurance...
I don't have any besides the ones that are mandatory, like car insurance, health care, amd if that counts retirement fond, but that's it. I always viewed insurance companies as kind of parasites that take money from people, much, much more than they pay back.

I really and truly believe that insurance is the cause of our soaring health care costs. If no type of insurance had ever been implemented, small town/community doctors would have remained the norm and costs would have remained within what most people could afford. Simple laws of cost and demand. Costs soared and continue to soar because the majority of the people have some form of insurance so hospitals and doctors can count on "most" of their bills being paid. Innovation may have lagged somewhat, but it would have focused on affordable technologies rather than high tech high cost solutions.

We have "opted out" of DH's "good" employer health insurance... and instead signed up with Samaritan Ministries. It has been amazing. People think we are crazy, and I am pretty sure MIL was/is pretty upset about it (we didn't tell anyone about it for a while).

Latest posts

Back