injured kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
my flemish doe somehow cashed a kit's lip open. you can see his teeth through it. the kit is 5 days old. what should I do? it bled a little, but is not bleeding now.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:55 pm __________<br /><br />er...gashed it open, not cashed.

How big is the gash? Is the kit still able to nurse? If so (and you can tell by looking for a round belly) I'd probably just leave it alone and hope it heals over by itself.

I've heard of using crazy glue to close an injury, but I wouldn't even try it myself for fear of gluing more than the gash.

We've super glued our kids before- DD got a 1/2" gash on her scalp and that was our first attempt since a scar wouldn't show- worked great, and she chose that option over getting stitches. Mouth injuries heal very quickly though, so Maggie's advice to just leave it alone may be your best option.

I put peroxide and corona ointment on it with a qtip. I don't know if it will still be able to nurse. The gash is on the side of its face under the eye, and goes toward its nose. I guess we'll see how it does tomorrow.

Peroxide is not a good antiseptic. It is good for getting debris out, rinsing teeth, and for sterilizing surfaces (when in much higher concentrations than standard store bought) but it is horrible for basic wounds and especially wounds on something with thin skin and tissue. In study it did the most damage to healthy tissue of anything tested, slowed wound healing greatly, increased scarring, and I personally have seen the excess scar tissue it can create requiring it to be cut back down and the wound reopened to heal properly.

The best thing in studies and safest is chlorhexadine or betadine. I generally prefer betadine. If using repeatedly without bandaging or applying something to keep the tissue moist you may want to dilute the betadine to a weak tea color before rinsing the wound to help prevent over drying the tissue and again slowing healing. Otherwise it can be used to rinse a wound full strength before or between other treatments. With wounds that can be bandaged betadine can made in to sort of a poultice by soaking sugar in it to make sugardine and applying. Good for punctures and to help draw out abcesses. Another benefit is neither betadine nor chlorhexadine sting.

akane":1ar7sytg said:
With wounds that can be bandaged betadine can made in to sort of a poultice by soaking sugar in it to make sugardine and applying. Good for punctures and to help draw out abcesses. Another benefit is neither betadine nor chlorhexadine sting.

Sugardine- that's a new one for me. Great to know!

We have a gallon of Betadine and use if for lots of things. 4Tblsp to a gallon of water makes a great, all purpose disinfectant. 2Tblsp to a gallon makes a good wound wash. 1Tblsp to a gallon will sanitize drinking water.

baby looks good today, the wound is closing up. no bleeding. I put it in with mama by itself to feed. when I checked it several minutes later, it was fat as a tick! so it's nursing fine. but dang it, I did lose the teeniest kit today. it just didnt seem to get any bigger or stronger.

Sorry to hear you lost the littlest kit, but I am glad that the injured kit is feeding well. I recently lost 6 kits due to low milk production and was so disappointed, especially since I tried really hard to save them. Sometimes things don't work out as we plan despite our best efforts. I always am saddened by the loss of new life before it has a chance to fully enjoy all that life has to offer... it seems so tragic to be born and then die so soon. There must be a reason- but it sure would be nice to know what the "Grand Plan" is so we could take comfort in that at least.

Not a problem when it's usually my white martial arts uniform I'm getting blood out of. Everyone went to black recently for such reasons but I can't afford a new one when they are $80-$100 so there's 2 of us still in white.

Latest posts

Back