Inbreeding???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offherrocker

Reaction score
I was under the impression you could line breed, but breeding full brother to sister was a bad idea....I got the pedigree for a new doe and her parents are full siblings. How big an issue will this be later down the road? Breed is Rex.

not a major deal at all.

You can breed any rabbit to any other rabbit. and like with any other breeding you can get good or bad results. You can get really good results. Is the rabbit you bought hearty and healthy? No bad teeth? No bad feet? Looks and acts good? Then don't fret on it.

Buck you plan to breed her to will be unrelated i think? Then no, it is not an issue as such. Multiple generations of brother to sister i have heard of serious problems with though. Infertility, health issues and so on. So a once maybe oepsie, is not a real problem.

From my understanding the closer related the more pronounced the traits, good or bad.

So, if you have two unrelated rabbits lacking in fur density, their off spring could also have the same or worse fur density, or depending on their lineage no problems at all. However, If you take full sibling with the same fur density problems and breed them together you will get 100% terrible fur density on those kits.
But, the same goes for really good traits, which is why some people will do full siblings when they are confident in their rabbits health/traits.

Most people don’t do/advise against this because of the possibility of the bad traits coming out, but if you know what you are doing it isn’t a terrible thing once every so many generations.

Latest posts

Back