In Ontario, what are the options for bulk pellet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezewind

Reaction score
In Ontario, what are the options for bulk bag rabbit pellets?

Recently I bought a 25kg (55 pounds) bag rabbit pellet, and discover it has corn in it! I don't know what to do with it.

People of Ontario, can you share your secrets of what and where do you buy your rabbit pellets?

I am try to lower to cost a little. I thought 25kg bag will be cheaper.

Thanks

Any feed store I have dealt with has bent over backwards to make it right if there is a problem with feed. I haven't fed rabbit pellets since about 2006, but there has been the odd problem with chicken feed and the feed store has always given me a new bag. Sometimes you get corn in with other feeds because some remains in the chute from a previous processing. So I suggest talking to the store where you got the pellets and taking in a sample to show them.

Thanks MaggieJ, Thanks Dood

Dood, thank you for your information, I really appreciate your help.

For your information, I bought from TSC, Rolling Acres Rabbit Breeder. It has lots of corns. quality relative to my previous pellets are poor. It does not smell fresh. It is very dusty! I have to sifter the whole bag.

Maybe I should take some pictures to show others about the quality of this brand.

MaggieJ, How do you feed your rabbits without pellets? I am very interested to know and very curious. do you feed them with barley Fodders? Isn't that will be more expensive?

Thanks

I was unhappy with the two pellet choices available to me. The rabbits didn't like the Shur-gain pellets and so wasted a lot and I found out that the Purina pellets contained animal tallow, which I do not consider appropriate for herbivores. (This may have changed... It was years ago.)

I was already supplementing the pellets with healthy weeds from spring until fall, so it was an easy matter to start feeding them more of those and alfalfa hay as well. I found they were happier if they also got small amounts of grain. Given natural foods they soon lost interest in the pellets. That last bag seemed to last forever.

Rabbits on a natural diet grow out more slowly than rabbits on pellets, but the overall cost per pound of meat was, for me, about half what it was on pellets. A good source of alfalfa hay is important if you are contemplating natural feeding. Here I can get it for about $3.50 a small square bale...Much cheaper than pellets.

Recently I have been experimenting with sprouting grain, especially in winter. Since you get far more nutrition and weight with sprouts or fodder, it is a very economical way of feeding rabbits.

We have a whole forum for discussing natural feeding and it may interest you to read there for more details. Natural feeding has really caught on in the past five years or so and we are gradually retrieving information about it that was nearly lost during the second half of the 20th Century.

Edited to add: Rabbits on a natural diet need to have access to a trace mineral salt block. I buy the reddish-brown ones for general livestock. They weigh 2 kg. and cost about $3. If your rabbits are in cages, you can knock chunks off with a hammer and serve it in small crocks.

Latest posts

Back