In need of prayers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvabunny

Reaction score
Saturday, my son's girlfriend had a bad asthma attack which actually killed her. Luckily, they were only a minute away from an ER, where they used the paddles to restart her heart.
Since Saturday, she has been on a breathing tube/ventilator and has been kept under sedation. An MRI shows significant brain damage from lack of oxygen. The Dr. says to expect some vision problems, possibly complete blindness. He also says to expect problems with speech and fine motor skills.

Each time they try to reduce the sedation to let her wake up, she goes into tremors, somewhat like seizures, so they have been unable to determine the complete extent of the brain damage.

This girl is just 18 years old. She and my son have been dating for 2 years and are very close. I expected her to be my daughter in law. Her Mother is a wasted excuse of skin, and her brother is in the military, located in Italy, and trying desperately to get home.

Please, keep her in your prayers, and tell your loved ones that you love them often. In less than 5 minutes, our entire lives have been changed forever.

So very sorry Luvabunny, I have been in very similar situations and know how painful it can be. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and send good energy in hopes that things turn out well.

I'm sorry this is what you and your family are dealing with now. I was praying for much better news. I hope she starts improving very soon, and the doctors prognosis is too guarded and she has a full recovery.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for both families. We also lost a dear, dear friend to asthma. She had battled the condition since she was a child, and at 24, her heart just couldn't take the strain any more. Most people don't understand how really serious it can be.

Special hugs to your son--he must feel so helpless right now.

Sending prayers for that dear young lady, you and your son, her family and all those involved.

luvabunny":3aflhl08 said:
Saturday, my son's girlfriend had a bad asthma attack which actually killed her. Luckily, they were only a minute away from an ER, where they used the paddles to restart her heart.
Since Saturday, she has been on a breathing tube/ventilator and has been kept under sedation. An MRI shows significant brain damage from lack of oxygen. The Dr. says to expect some vision problems, possibly complete blindness. He also says to expect problems with speech and fine motor skills.

Each time they try to reduce the sedation to let her wake up, she goes into tremors, somewhat like seizures, so they have been unable to determine the complete extent of the brain damage.

This girl is just 18 years old. She and my son have been dating for 2 years and are very close. I expected her to be my daughter in law. Her Mother is a wasted excuse of skin, and her brother is in the military, located in Italy, and trying desperately to get home.

Please, keep her in your prayers, and tell your loved ones that you love them often. In less than 5 minutes, our entire lives have been changed forever.

Sending Positive Vibes.
As an asthmatic this is very scary to read. Wishing the best for her and your son.

The update is not good. The damage to her brain due to lack of oxygen has caused her brain to swell, causing even more damage. The Dr. has very bluntly said, in so many words, that this is an injury that she will not recover from.

She is being kept alive on life support only now. She has never recovered consciousness, nor opened her eyes. She has nearly stopped being even reactive to stimulus now. She has seizures almost constantly, and her medication keeps being upped and upped to control them.

My son is taking it very, very hard. At 25, you still believe you are invincible and will live forever. They were making plans to be married, have kids and begin a life together. Nearly everything he has done, been involved in, or planned around for the past 2 years has included her. He doesn't know what to do with himself.

I don't know what to do or say either. They are agnostic, so telling him she is headed to a better place falls on deaf ears. They don't believe in either a Heaven or a Hell, so there is no comfort in saying she will be with other family members who have passed, or that she will be looking down on him from above. His only true comfort is the solace in knowing that she knew he loved her, and they were together in her last moments of consciousness.

Where is the manual for what parents are supposed to do or say in situations such as this? I feel so totally helpless.

Skyrocket":6fg2vq24 said:
As an asthmatic this is very scary to read. Wishing the best for her and your son.
I have never taken the asthma thing very seriously. It only flares up during physical exertion, if I'm out in very cold weather, or sometimes when I am extremely agitated. This really has me thinking, I need to manage my health much better.

I am so very sorry for what your son is going through. :( . I wish I could give words of comfort to him but I am afraid that I cannot. I know it hurts right now but in time he will look back at his memories of her and remember her bright smile, warm eyes, and know that he will find solace in those memories.

skysthelimit":26fb8gg4 said:
Skyrocket":26fb8gg4 said:
I have never taken the asthma thing very seriously. It only flares up during physical exertion, if I'm out in very cold weather, or sometimes when I am extremely agitated. This really has me thinking, I need to manage my health much better.

Neither have I, I've abandoned my rescue inhaler until recently. This has me thinking too, has me fearful too as my asthma has been flaring up with the addition of my lovely bunnies. When I move my buns to the garage it shouldn't be such a problem but with them in the house it seems harder and harder to breathe.

I'm very, very sorry about the update. I wish there was a set of magical words that could be said to comfort him and bring her back. They're only a couple years older than myself and I couldn't imagine dealing with that great of a loss so young. Hopefully he understands that you're there for him in his time of need.

Oh, I am so sorry... you are all in my prayers.

My mom has gotten better about managing hers, but sometimes I have to tell her, "Mom, you're wheezing." "I know... I'll go take it in a minute."

My son... sometimes I stand by his bed and listen to him breathe. Even my daughter, though her asthma is almost a memory.

Back