Improving air quality

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siddsaysgimmie

Reaction score
I recently moved and the rabbits are in our basement. It's old and basement-like, so there are only two little windows and not much air flow. Is there anything I can possibly do to improve air quality down there? I want to make it safe for them since I have no where else to put them.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Before making a suggestion, could I ask a few questions.

What type of basement other than "old" is it?
Is it finished or not finised? Damp or not damp?

Does the Sun enter through any of the windows?

Are your utilities in the basement? If so, are they oil, gas or electric? This has a lot to do with the air quality you are putting your bunnies in.

You need to know all of these before you can really consider housing your bunnies in a basement?

Is there any place outside that you could put them? My rabbits are in our living area, and never considered in our basement, which is dry, two windowed, and has a gas heater there, along with a water heater, water osmosis system.

Karen

Get two box fans, fan A goes into window A, facing in to pull fresh air into the basement. Fan B goes into window B, facing the outside to push old air out.
But you also have to keep everything in there clean and dust free.

ChickiesnBunnies":1rhs5sws said:
Get two box fans, fan A goes into window A, facing in to pull fresh air into the basement. Fan B goes into window B, facing the outside to push old air out.
But you also have to keep everything in there clean and dust free.

Maybe have a filter for incoming air and exhaust fan for the outgoing air. But also remember dampness brings mold and mold is not good for bunnies.

Karen

The sun does go through the windows. It is finished. We use a wood stove which is in the living room so I don't think anything is used down there. The house is just older but there's definitely no mold or anything. The whole place is really dry with concrete floors.

I can't put them outside because my cages are not meant for outside (I have no where to put them so they would be sheltered), dogs often run through our backyard and it gets really cold here.

siddsaysgimmie":2mtdmbow said:
The sun does go through the windows. It is finished. We use a wood stove which is in the living room so I don't think anything is used down there. The house is just older but there's definitely no mold or anything. The whole place is really dry with concrete floors.

I can't put them outside because my cages are not meant for outside (I have no where to put them so they would be sheltered), dogs often run through our backyard and it gets really cold here.

Sounds like a really good place for your rabbits. I would just use fans to keep the air circulating. There's already sunlight coming through and it's nice and dry. Plus will be warm for them in the winter.

Karen

It's not fancy or anything, but I was hoping I would be able to do a few things to make it better. It is quite dusty down there but a lot of the owner's stuff is still hanging around so I'm having a hard time cleaning all of it up. So would it improve the air when I'm able to ShopVac the place up a few times? Maybe that's why the air feels weird down there..

Is there any way to position the fans to make it circulate very well? I'm looking into finding a box fan for the window (hopefully there's one that fits). Would an air purifier do anything for them?

I have about 10 adult rabbits at all times and right now I have 13 babies. I clean the cages about twice a week. There are lights down there but I'll be getting a few more. I can't open the door to the basement in the winter though. It should be fine when I'm able to use a few suggestions and get everything running, right? I hope so.

I have an air purifier (an ionixer sp?) in my living room as well. Helps fight bacteria. No matter what I do, clean ducts, vacuum everything, still have dust. But rather have it dry here and fight the dust than have it damp and have to fight mold or other health issues.

My rabbits do well here inside. I clean cages every other day myself. Usually just litter boxes during the week (unless some accidents occur), and a full clean out on the weekend. Keeps the urine odor down, and my bunnies are all healthy and happy. With the way my husband positions the fans, on a nice day I can have the windows open and get a nice airing. The rabbits enjoy that time.

I don't think you and your rabbits will have any problems. Sounds like they will be just fine.

Karen

Also an air filter will do a excellent job for the dust control. The fan will blow the existing dust out. Very fortunate to have a dry basement.

Latest posts

Back