Impacted scent glands??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockyhillrabbits

Reaction score
My Rex buck, Lee, has had some issues with poor coat, weight loss, lack of appetite, which I guessed was mainly due to how hot it has been here. Nobody is exactly going crazy on feed lately. But yesterday evening I pulled him out and was trying to get some tufts of hair out and flipped him over to check his belly. His scent glands were so full of gunk that it feels swollen by his penis. I flushed the glands with water in a syringe and took q tips and gently wiped out what I could. It still feels harder than I think it should around his penis and he barely touched his pellets since yesterday this morning. He isn't very old, I think he's coming up on 2.
What can I give him or what else can I do?

Sounds like it could be infected, though it may just be irritated. The swelling/hardness could take a while to go down. I would put some tea tree oil on it for an antiseptic and just check on it daily. Make sure his cage is clean, if he's on bedding ether remove it or change it daily.

Latest posts

Back