I'm such an Idiot!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
Doe + Buck = Kits
Well, most of the time.
I was beginning to think my buck was worthless or my doe's were brats, or both. Guess not.
In September I tried to breed my two Polish does, one is a maiden the other has had a litter, to my one Polish buck, he attempted, albeit half-heartedly, to do it. I figured out of the 2 at least one would breed. Nope. Not a single kit from either. Okay, tease them by switching them around in their pens, give them the suggested things to make them cycle more strongly.
Neither doe wanted to cooperate when it came time to put them together, the blue flat-out refused and decided she wanted to, ahem, punish the buck. So I had to pin her down and try to get her to lift. The buck tried, but not very hard and never fell off. I tried several times, same result each time.
Alright it's Expresso's turn, tossed her in the pen, and the buck and her sniffed, chased each other and she flattened out and let him do his job he fell off once.
So I waited, apparently when I counted up the days on my calendar I counted wrong, so I marked them off as Not Pregnant.
Apparently, they had other ideas. I noticed Expresso had a hay stache, peeked in her box and she built a nest! I was shocked! After checking the other doe's box (and finding nothing), I gave Expresso more straw to build her nest and promptly counted up the days, turns out today is Day 31.
Oops! My bad, I have no ideal if she will have any or not, although with my luck she probably will (I'm being sarcastic), last time neither one nested.
The last time the blue doe kindled she built her nest at the last minute on Day 31. The black has never had babies, so I don't know how she will act.

My biggest problem will be keeping the babies warm. Tonight it's going to be about 10F and tomorrow it will be around 25F maybe?
I hadn't expected it to be this cold in November, because it usually isn't. I set up a crate with straw and a pan ready for an inhabitant (with babies).
I was keeping my 1 1/2 lb doe in it, but she'll either get stuck in the carrier or her hutch.
What should I do for keeping the kits warm (if they do kindle)?
Also should I go ahead and move the doe inside the building or wait and see how the babies do (if she kindles)?

Thanks.

An option I have used before is to take the kits inside and bring them out twice a day for feeding. Last winter, I did that for my litters.

*fingers crossed for healthy kits*

This morning when I did my chores, I checked her nest. She has added more straw and she pulled some fur, not a whole lot.
So far no babies, I don't think the blue is going to have any because last time she had them on Day 31, and technically they are both overdue.
If I have to I will bring them inside and take them out to nurse, although I would prefer not to because I'm worried someone might get into them.
I guess I could put them in the basement up on a shelf, but there are snakes and mice down there. Guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Do not put them where there is snakes or mice!!! They will quickly become dinner! If you have kids or doge or cats you can put the nest box where the animals can't go if it's kids just show them the babes and explain to them that until their eyes are open they (the kids) can not hold them. Mostly for fear of squishing or dropping them.
You can cover your cages or hutches to keep warmer....some of the members here do that. I don't have that problem as it only gets down to about 30F or so here.But we do shelter from the wind and rain with tarps. our bunny "barn" has a solid roof and will have sides before it gets to the lower temps...
Good Luck with your new litter(s)

Latest posts

Back