I'm losing Amos.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone. :cry:

Last Friday (5/15) I noticed Amos was a little unsteady on his paws. I thought he was just used to only wire and was feeling weird in the grass. My hubby set up a fenced in rabbit run so the buns could have some out of hutch time in a safe area. The next day after more outside time I noticed that when he would get knocked over he would make no move to get up. I chualked it up to him being intimidated because he had been in the run with all 3 of the beverens; my beveren buck had decided he didn't like Amos, rolled him over and tried to attack his genitals. I put the beverens away and let Amos stay out for awhile longer.However Amos barely moved and was very wobbly. Very reminiscent of the kits.

Sunday, I didn't want to stress him too much so left him in his hutch but noticed he was staying in a corner and not drinking. I moved his water and food dishes to that corner, I also noticed that when he would hop his back end would ... Best way to describe it is a dragging flail. When I tired to get hubby to see Amos would hop normally.

Now I did a cage check and the only thing wrong I could find was; Morning Glory had snuck under the hutch and had started to grow up under it. It seems that Amos had eaten some (I don't know how much), I pulled all that I could find but I'm not sure if I caught it soon enough.

Monday was more of the same, with the wobbling and odd hopping. Except now when he would hop his he'd would go down and almost hit the hutch floor.

Yesterday (after talking to my hubby and having him read rabbittalk, over the weekend) I went out and bought pellets to help supplement the natural foods I've been giving them. Amos is still very unsteady and still not coming out of that one corner. He is drinking very little and only eating the pellets and hay, but none of the fresh stuff I'm giving him.

Is there anything I can do for him? He is literally skin and bones, when he falls over from moving to fast he just lays there. I went out to refill water as it's been unusually warm (high 70s) the last few days, he was laying on his hay with several extremely small droppings behind him, his water was only half gone (the three beverens had drained theirs).

I don't know what to do. With Roxie passing unexpectedly after being bred(don't know if she was preggers or not) and losing the kits earlier this month; I feel lousy.

What am I doing wrong? :cry: :wall: :weep: :boxed: :furious:

It sounds like poor Amos might be really dehydrated. I don't know if it would be too stressful for him, but it might help to bring him indoors, where it might be cooler, give him water with an eyesore or syringe (carefully) maybe some electrolytes.... you need to get him eating and drinking. :(

Susie570":285wg8zg said:
It sounds like poor Amos might be really dehydrated. I don't know if it would be too stressful for him, but it might help to bring him indoors, where it might be cooler, give him water with an eyesore or syringe (carefully) maybe some electrolytes.... you need to get him eating and drinking. :(

I agree about the dehydration. He needs to be dropper fed water or an electrolyte solution if he won't drink on his own.

Small dropping sounds like he is in the beginning stages of GI stasis.

Wool block remedies are good to use at this time, as the lack of motility and dehydration together may contribute to the formation of hairballs or hard-to-pass masses of dry foods.

As Morning Glory is a member of the nightshade family and poisonous, I am not sure there is a lot to do here. I would keep him as hydrated as possible, and hope he pulls through.

*fingers crossed*

While it could be E. cuniculi, I agree that it sounds more like he ate something toxic. And now that he's sick, he could be going into stasis.

We have a house bunny who had E.c., and we nursed him through that, almost losing him. Then, just as he was improving, we got some bad feed (toxic mold), and lost one growout and nearly lost him again.

I agree with the others... all you can do is force fluids and make sure he's eating. He may come out of it, and he may not.

You did say he's eating pellets and hay, which is a really good thing. The tiny droppings... sticky or dry? Sticky would indicate cecotropes. Dry would indicate gut stasis.

For fluid, if he's simply not taking in enough from his crock or from your hand, then you might consider injecting a bolus under his skin.

Friday, to now Tuesday... if he is not worsening, then by now I would think that he would have died, if he was going to. Not that he's out of the woods, but it is a little encouraging. <br /><br /> -- Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 pm -- <br /><br />
Marinea":346xclpg said:
As Morning Glory is a member of the nightshade family and poisonous
Morning Glories and Nightshades are from the same order, but then they split into two families. One with nightshades (tomatoes, bell pepper, eggplant, potato, etc.) and the other with Morning Glories and sweet potatoes.

Miss M":33pwxgc1 said:
You did say he's eating pellets and hay, which is a really good thing. The tiny droppings... sticky or dry? Sticky would indicate cecotropes. Dry would indicate gut stasis.

For fluid, if he's simply not taking in enough from his crock or from your hand, then you might consider injecting a bolus under his skin.

Thanks. I only noticed it on Friday, I don't know if it started earlier out not. He has been drinking from his crock and bottle. Since it got "hot" for WA I gave him both. The berries are dry, I have been free feeding him pellets since I bought them. As far as I know he is doing better. Maybe. Hopefully.

Oh my! Well this is good to know! I just planted some Morning glory, and had NO idea it was poisonous! :eek:
(Not like I would feed it to them with out checking if it was edible though. ;) ) Right now all they get is pellets and hay...and an occasional dandelion. Because I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay to paranoid. ;) (For the moment...)

Anyway PRAYERS for little Amos!!! Keep us updated!! Pull through this buddy!
Rabbits can be very tough survivors, my buck survived a dog attack (Two puncture wounds to the head, one actually went very deep, close to the top of the skull! :shock: ) and a "sniffles" like sickness, with a white growth on his eye, (that he had to tolerate me putting a tea mix into his eye every day for weeks, to heal it.) and sneezing. He's been through a ton, but has come out with only a fold/scar on his lip as a show for his battle wound. :cool: Haha, he is my real survivor. Plus he is the size of a Netherland dwarf! If Harvy could pull through all that, I'm sure Amos has a chance too!!! I pray that he will be alright and that you will have peace! Bless you! I hope he makes it through this!!!!

Preitler":2yy6tpuw said:
Winden (german) (Convolvulaceae), are good rabbit food, they love it, it's just the seeds of some species that contain alkaloids, and not that much, I would think.

Preitler, I don't think that type of morning glory is the type at my place.

baefull.wolfbunnies":3kpzlns0 said:
Preitler":3kpzlns0 said:
Winden (german) (Convolvulaceae), are good rabbit food, they love it, it's just the seeds of some species that contain alkaloids, and not that much, I would think.

Preitler, I don't think that type of morning glory is the type at my place.

Then what kind is it?
Perhaps you should post some pictures???

From my understanding (Ok, experience with those types of "kids") the part of the plant that was being used as a hallucinogen was the seeds.

yep, from wikipedia:

The seeds of many species of morning glory contain ergoline alkaloids such as the psychedelic ergonovine and ergine (LSA). Seeds of Ipomoea tricolor and Turbina corymbosa (syn. R. corymbosa) are used as psychedelics. The seeds of morning glory can produce a similar effect to LSD when taken in large doses, often numbering into the hundreds. Though the chemical LSA is not legal in some countries, the seeds are found in many gardening stores; however, the seeds from commercial sources are often coated in some form of pesticide or methylmercury.[4] These coatings are especially dangerous if one has a history of liver disorders and may also cause neural damage.[5][6][7]

Sorry about the communication delay guys.

I went out of town for the weekend starting last Thursday (5/21) and actuality just got back to Wi-Fi. I went down to a memorial weekend long, peninsula wide, garage sale that my husband and I do yearly on the coast. The house we stay at had no internet and we have really limited data.

I had a neighbor watch the bunnies for us and as I got no frantic calls/texts I assume everything went well. I will be able to give you guys a better update tomorrow after I get sheen with bunny chores.

Hi guys,

So did rabbit chores this morning and then started doing other chores and realized I hadn't told you guys anything.

Amos is doing great! He is hopping normally, has that healthy spark in his eyes, is drinking normally and his fur no longer feels brittle/gritty.

He actually binkied when I brought him food this morning. I'll still keep a close eye on him, but I think he is out of the woods

Latest posts

Back