I'm getting Texas A&M Rabbits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Woo-hoo! :D

I didn't think I'd be able to get any, but I've reserved a buck and 2 does, all unrelated Texas A&M New Zealand rabbits! Paperwork included and at only $35.00 each!

These are young, at 4 weeks old and I have to wait two more weeks before picking them up, but they'll make a nice addition to my stock. :)

Happy dance! :bananadance:

Neato! Congrats!
I've heard about A&M rabbits, always thought they sounded interesting.
Let us know how they work out for you!

MaggieJ":1x2v3qx6 said:
Sounds like you are thrilled, TMTex!

:congratulations:

Are A&M rabbits a particular strain? I've never heard the term before... What does it stand for?

Yep, I'm pretty happy! :D

mystang89's links are the ones. I'm getting the NZWs.

KKRabbitry":1x2v3qx6 said:
Neato! Congrats!
I've heard about A&M rabbits, always thought they sounded interesting.
Let us know how they work out for you!

Thanks! I'll do that. It'll be some time before they breed, but I'll be keeping close records on these.

cmfarm":1x2v3qx6 said:
Are these the ones you are getting? http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/4314368930.html
I was thinking of getting some too! I just need to get things better set up for the rabbits I have before I get more. Need more cages and more shelter still.

Yes, those are the ones! :)

I need more cages and such too, but I'm willing to cull to make room for these. I have 2 does that I was saving for my nephew, but he hasn't picked them up. They're beyond roasters now. I guess they would be stewers? Also, there's the one doe that bit me. I tried breeding her, but she hasn't produced. She also starts to attack when I clean her hutch. Maybe some stew coming up there.

I have some pedigreed NZWs that I might try selling to make room too.

CONGRATS TMTEX!!!! =D
Dr. Lukefahr's rabbit program is fascinating, and I have heard wonderful things about the stock. Looks like the seller is doing a great job too - even biosecurity!

aren't these rabbits all destined to produce terminal offspring?

That's what they are bred for... to help you produce better growing offspring that are meant to die. (unless I am missing something somewhere)....

I'm glad you found some that should help your herd produce faster growing kits...

"New Zealand White does are maintained on an 8 litters/year schedule that produces approximately 30 market fryers per year" taken from link in above post

That seems very low

Also on the site they showed a picture of a furless lop breed. They looked interesting.

ckcs":3j2v8gc2 said:
"New Zealand White does are maintained on an 8 litters/year schedule that produces approximately 30 market fryers per year" taken from link in above post

That seems very low

Also on the site they showed a picture of a furless lop breed. They looked interesting.

No, these are not ALTEX....they are purebred NZW. I have three does and a buck from Dr. Lukefahr's program as well.

__________ Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 pm __________

Miss M":3j2v8gc2 said:
:congratulations:

That's waaaaay more affordable than I've heard of these rabbits being before!

No, they are only $35, straight from the barn at Texas A&M, Kingsville. It's the ALTEX you are thinking of. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm __________ <br /><br />
TMTex":3j2v8gc2 said:
Woo-hoo! :D

I didn't think I'd be able to get any, but I've reserved a buck and 2 does, all unrelated Texas A&M New Zealand rabbits! Paperwork included and at only $35.00 each!

These are young, at 4 weeks old and I have to wait two more weeks before picking them up, but they'll make a nice addition to my stock. :)

Happy dance! :bananadance:

I love my TAMUK's (as I call them), they are great mothers, champion milkers and they are WAY more heat tolerant than even my Cals. I cannot keep them, they fly out of the barn as fast as I breed them.

OneAcreFarm":1eihw54a said:
No, they are only $35, straight from the barn at Texas A&M, Kingsville. It's the ALTEX you are thinking of.
You are right... I saw T A&M, and assumed Altex. :oops:

But wow, it sounds like these other buns are really nice, too!

How exciting! If I lived closer to Austin, I would've called about them, too. At least you have a couple of weeks to make room! Please keep us posted on how well they do. I would love to know what kind of litter sizes you get in the future.

cmfarm":3kg8yz82 said:
We must not be that far from each other then. :p

Probably fairly close if Round Rock is in easy driving distance. I'm in the San Marcos area.

Of course, Austin drivers are in between. Scary thought. ;)

OneAcreFarm":3kg8yz82 said:
...I love my TAMUK's (as I call them), they are great mothers, champion milkers and they are WAY more heat tolerant than even my Cals. I cannot keep them, they fly out of the barn as fast as I breed them.

That's great news! I'm confident that I'll like mine as well. :)

coffeenutdesigns":1tiwg2yh said:
How exciting! If I lived closer to Austin, I would've called about them, too. At least you have a couple of weeks to make room! Please keep us posted on how well they do. I would love to know what kind of litter sizes you get in the future.

Mine don't get really huge litters...one has litters of 10-12 and usually raises them all, one has 6 every time and raises them all, the third is kind of hit or miss....5 here, 9 here, etc. But, they almost always raise all their kits to weaning.

I am not in TN anymore...I am in Texas. Austin to be specific. I am getting some TAMUK kits myself, but from a different source. I would love to trade kits sometime.

Maybe visit each other's rabbitry?

Joe

Joe n TN":2cs25xvg said:
I am not in TN anymore...I am in Texas. Austin to be specific. I am getting some TAMUK kits myself, but from a different source. I would love to trade kits sometime.

Maybe visit each other's rabbitry?

Joe

Welcome to the Austin/San Marcos area! Sure, we should get together sometime and swapping kits sounds like a great idea. We can have more diverse genetics in our respective stocks. It'll be quite some time before my TAMUKs are ready to breed, since they're so young, but that day will come.

I have a closed rabbitry and don't sell, but would welcome a fellow breeder so we can swap ideas on how to improve things. My biggest battle so far has been fire ants. I've tried everything including toxic chemicals, but they're persistent. I'm converting my hutches to hanging/stacked cages to help with that ongoing battle.

Ah yes ants, same trouble here but solved. Raised cages for the rabbits, fenced with chicken wire under the cages (make a way to open it to clean out under there.) Once a week let your chickens (get 4-5 if you don't have them) run under there and don't feed them that day. Ants gone, pesticide free. :) The chickens eat the ants and dig up any egg piles and eat those too.

Latest posts

Back