I'm back and I could use some help...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SA Farm

Reaction score
Hi everybunny!
I haven't been on here in a very long time (it seems, anyway) because I've been busy preparing to move!
I'm heading out to Alberta and that's where my question comes into play.

I've been working on obtaining NZRs for the last few years and finally have the pedigreed New Zealand Reds I've been waiting for - and now I'm moving. Now, around here, they go for about $20 each without a pedigree. Maybe up to $30 with.

From what I've seen, rabbit prices in Alberta are about double they are in my area. So, do I raise my prices? And if so, how much for pure, pedigreed NZ Reds?

I don't want to raise my prices too much, but my rabbits are excellent quality, handled, and have good backgrounds as well, so I don't want to price too low either.... Especially when people equate price with quality....

I'm also working on changing/updating my website, so if anyone wants to check it out and give me feedback, that would be great!

Any criticism, suggestions, or praise is appreciated! :D

I think you should charge the same as the rabbits in Alberta. You can search the Alberta kijiji or other classifieds to see what the market is like and price your rabbits accordingly

Even better, come chat with us at the rabbit shows so you can see what the other breeders are charging. Kijiji is the home of the undercutter. I was just told by a friend of mine that I wasn't charging enough for my stock.

Thanks! I have checked out Kijiji and mixes seem to be going for about $30, so I'm thinking $40 for my just weaned pedigreed kits and up from there.

I may look into checking out a show or two. Never shown before and never really had much interest, but it's probably worth it to make some contacts :)

Where are you moving to, SA? Welcome to Alberta!

Keep in mind that the cost of raising rabbits in Alberta may be higher than in Ontario. Climate, availability and price of equipment and feed may be some of the things contributing to the higher cost of rabbits. You will need to see what YOUR costs are before you set your price.

Thanks, Schipperkesue! I've considered that. I'll be bringing most of my supplies and housing with me, so the only cost increase *should* be food for the rabbits, but my own cost of living is going to go way up, so we'll see how it goes.

We're going to be in Calgary. Should have a more narrow idea of location by the end of the month. My DH is already there working, but I'm still tying up loose ends here in Ontario for the moment.

I'm really looking forward to moving out to Calgary! I've never been, have only traveled as far as Saskatchewan, so it's as exciting as it is scary! :p :x :D

SA Farm":3muq033p said:
Thanks, Schipperkesue! I've considered that. I'll be bringing most of my supplies and housing with me, so the only cost increase *should* be food for the rabbits, but my own cost of living is going to go way up, so we'll see how it goes.

We're going to be in Calgary. Should have a more narrow idea of location by the end of the month. My DH is already there working, but I'm still tying up loose ends here in Ontario for the moment.

I'm really looking forward to moving out to Calgary! I've never been, have only traveled as far as Saskatchewan, so it's as exciting as it is scary! :p :x :D

Calgary is lovely!

There are things to consider...

If your rabbits are housed outside you may not be able to breed as often, making production more expensive. If they are inside you will need heat and light, again upping costs. Rabbits are not as popular here especially as a food source, thus reduced income. You may have to travel further for feed. Higher fuel costs. There are probably many other things to consider as well...

Hope you enjoy your new life! We are practically neighbors! (Drayton Valley...three hours away!)

Not sure if they'll be in or out - probably a combo since we have housing for both. I won't be bringing too many with me and any extras can always go to freezer camp if I can't find homes for them. I actually really want to start working with pelts, so that wouldn't be too bad :)

Latest posts

Back