I'm a success!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbelle

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally butchered 5 buns - was a bit late, and they were pretty fat, but I did it in about an hour and a half and have them in the freezer for the dogs. I figured that the first time I wouldn't worry too much about it being an antiseptic operation, getting the site fixed to work well etc. Anyway, I'm proud of myself for getting it done all by myself. I know my daughter was expecting me to ask her to help, so I didn't. Another milestone passed!

Good job! I found that after the first couple it gets much easier, as you know what works best for you.

I wouldn't say sterile, rather clean, the main thing is the prep surface, once the meat is stripped from the hide and guts (with the intestines coming out intact) it should go into the clean side, actually, if you want to be kinda paranoid, read the Kosher laws, cause that is about strict as it gets.

Congratulations! If you did 5 in an hour and a half your first time, I'm guessing it wasn't so late that the hide was thoroughly stuck to the meat, which is good! :)

I'm not unfamiliar with butchering in general, and also read up on the best ways here. It really went very well - I did kennel my LGD so she wouldn't be upset at me killing her charges. My biggest challenge is keeping my knives sharp. I know what a really sharp one feels like and I hate sawing at whatever I need to cut. Anyone got any suggestions? I only have one of those sharpeners that you drag the blade through, each side on an angle. I remember my dad "honing" his knives on a stone, but don't know that I am competent to do that. J*

eco2pia":c297j572 said:
Kosher rabbit? lol. that's like an oxymoron or something...:)

Eating Rabbit is NON Kosher, however, I think that Jack is refering more to the laws as if it was a kosher animal. IE-proper killing, cutting, and draining of the blood. Since Kosher meat has a very strict way of preparing their meat theory would be that it is more sanitary and healthy. Again, Rabbit is NOT a kosher animal though, so don't expect it to be blessed by a rabbi. LOL For anyone wondering, Rabbit is unkosher because although it chews its own cud, it does not have hoofs.

Latest posts

Back