if the three stooges raised rabbits,,

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It would look like this: yesterday, with the bad weather in Georgia, it took me & youngest child hours to get home in traffic. The 11 yrar old had walked home from school and had done a great job taking care of animals and the home while we were trapped. I gave hm praise and a big hug, the opened the bathroom door. The bathroom was filled with rabbits. Loose rabbits. He was afraid the rabbits in the grow-out pen would freeze, so he brought them in. Also brought in my main mama because, oh what the heck, what could one more hurt? She has a soft spot in our hearts. I explained they'd be fine, then shuffled rabbits back outside. Mama's crate needed cleaning,and she'd been shuffled around a lot lately--thought she was ill, then thought a mystery pregnancy, then moved her to a new crate that she was adjusting to since she wasn't pregnant--so I left her in for the night in the bathroom with a feed pail on its side for her to hide in. This morning, I walk on to move her & see fluffs of loose fur. Look in the pail, and there are 9 nice little meat mutts in a nice nest. Guess the mystery pregnancy was real (long story--computer crashed when I tried to type it.). Can I move her back to ger crate, or will she get stressed & quit feeding or kill the kits?. Am. I stuck with rabbits in my bathroom for he next few weeks???? I'm thinking I'll give her a few days to make sure she's nursing, then put her in her crate & bring the to her to feed. Oy!

bathroom full of rabbits...how nice! Sometimes I keep random rabbits in my bathroom, cause it's big, has easy to clean tile floors and no wires to chew.
Not does anymore though, cause they chew up the doors. :roll:

We had a bunny in each bathroom when they were repairing the porch on our apartment 4 years ago. The doe kindled during this time, too... it was quite an adventure! :lol:

Zass":25c0938n said:
Not does anymore though, cause they chew up the doors. :roll:

Yeah, that's what I need: her chewing a hole through the door. Then the cat can sneak in, and we can have a real good time!
Miss M":25c0938n said:
:lol:

I would think you can move her back when you want to, as long as she isn't typically very flighty. :)

She's normally pretty stoic, and deals with most of the craziness that comes with our household. My only hesitation is I didn't know she was pregnant, thought she wasn't feeling well--she was acting "off"--so brought her in the house a few weeks ago to observe her, heard my husband laughing cause "that rabbit has hay stuffed in its mouth and it looks like a mustache!". (He appreciates them, but thebreeding &raising are all mine. ). Ran like heck & gave her a nestbox ( she put a nest in) moved her outside to a larger cage with her box-- and she ignored it. For two weeks. I think she would have spit on the box and cursed its family if she could. Since I'm not sure how/when she got pregnant (safe bet to say it involved the buck, and I was going to blame the kids for letting them "play" together until I remembered I had let him out before Christmas to stretch his legs in the shed while I cleaned crates...considering how slow and bass-ackward he's been when I've watched him breed, he apparently gets the job done quickly when not observed and left to his own devices, even through wire. ). This week, I decided it must be a false pregnancy & she was ready for breeding. Was going to do it after it warmed up this weekend. So she was moved again. The poor thing has been yanked around a lot, and I'm a little concerned she will put her big thumpy foot down and show me she's had enough. Three Stooges, anyone?

Many of my does do the mustache thing two weeks into pregnancy. It's one of the ways I use to tell whether or not they're expecting. In fact, I usually throw a little extray hay into their pen after two weeks just to see what they'll do.

As for moving her - as long as she's usually calm and hasn't shown much concern as you check her babies, then it'll probably be okay to move her to better quarters.

Saw some news video of the road conditions around Atlanta and other areas in Georgia. So sorry ya'll are going through that. Hope it warms up soon and goes away. We're expecting snow tomorrow but we're a lot more used to cold and snow than you guys are. Hang in there - Spring is on the way!!

SuburbanHomesteader":vbd480yn said:
Many of my does do the mustache thing two weeks into pregnancy. It's one of the ways I use to tell whether or not they're expecting. In fact, I usually throw a little extray hay into their pen after two weeks just to see what they'll do.

As for moving her - as long as she's usually calm and hasn't shown much concern as you check her babies, then it'll probably be okay to move her to better quarters.

Saw some news video of the road conditions around Atlanta and other areas in Georgia. So sorry ya'll are going through that. Hope it warms up soon and goes away. We're expecting snow tomorrow but we're a lot more used to cold and snow than you guys are. Hang in there - Spring is on the way!!

Good to know that your does do it as a place marker! She had previously been very efficient: hay mustache, next day fur pulled, then at night kits. She may be settling in to a new pattern. Great little mama--I didn't want to mess that up!

The news coverage didn't exaggerate, unfortunately. My heart went out to the kids who were stuck on the school buses, sometimes for 8+ hours. Feel badly for the teachers, too: they stayed and made sure everyone was ok, even though they had families of their own. Some turned the situation into a fun "lock in" for the kids: games all night, snacks, and movies. They were working hard to keep the kids calm. I didn't see any parents go off on them, and I hope none did-- the decisions to let out late happened on a much higher level. The roads are much better now; just scattered ice patches on the main highways although you have to watch the side roads. We've hunkered down and stayed near home. The kids haven't quite taken it in-- being excited about snow and having three days off from school quickly washed away the delays of the first day. Having baby bunnies in the bathroom hasn't hurt either. Thanks for the kind thoughts--it was pretty sobering, but many folks showed they were made of the right stuff & showed their southern hospitality by directing traffic, sharing food, and giving rides. And we'll get a hint of spring--it's supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back