If I cross a chocolate to a black tort...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
If I had pedigrees, I could probably figure out the most likely results, but I do not. Here is what I know about the 2 rabbits:

Chocolate Satin doe has blue-gray eyes that have a ruby glint to them. Does that likely mean she's carrying around REW genes?

Black Tort Satin Buck came from a black siamese and a broken black rabbit.

What do you think the most likely color outcomes would be if I bred the Chocolate and the Tort together? If I want to get more chocolates, would it be a good idea to try breeding one of the resulting sons back to the chocolate mother?

(These are going to be used to produce meat buns, so I'm not worried about "rules" from a show-quality perspective. I am just curious on what my possibilities are as far as rainbows in the nestboxes.)

The ruby cast is most likely just caused by her being a chocolate. The blue-grey color...hmmm.
Chinchilla can turn a rabbits eyes blue, and my chocolates eyes are a softer brown then my black based rabbit's eyes. All my chocolates have red cast eyes.

Breeding a son back should yield you more chocolates, and plenty of other fun colors by the looks of things.
You might want to save a daughter to breed back with the buck too, to see what is hidden on his side.

Chocolate Satin doe has blue-gray eyes that have a ruby glint to them. Does that likely mean she's carrying around REW genes?
No, but she could be a self chocolate chinchilla (aa bb cch_ D_ E_)

Your black tort buck got a shaded, himilayan or REW from his sire (aa B_ Ccchl OR ch OR c D_ ee) and if your chocolate is a self chin then 50% of the kits should self chin or shaded. If she just carries a chin, shaded, himilayan or REW then only 25% should be these colours and if she doesn't have any recessives on the C-locus then you'll likely just get blacks.

If she carries a non extension then you could get torts (or salander if she's self chin)

If the buck carries chocolate you could get some in this variety.

Most likely you get blacks. On the off chance the blue grey in the eyes means the chin gene you could get some variation of the c locus genes (chin, sable, seal, himi, rew). To get chocolates the black tort would have to carry it and to get torts the chocolate would have to carry it. If you throw it all together you could get some weird colors. What does a chocolate sallander look like anyway.....

Apparently this http://rabbitcolors.info/int/en/entry/show.html?id=107

Just in case anyone stumbled upon this post and wondered what the outcome was, we ended up with a healthy litter of 5. Two blacks, two torts and one siamese!

10369068_1444940499093431_5591353810068672830_o.jpg

^ that was at 10 days old

10514160_1463695790551235_461607476940157307_o.jpg

^ That's the siamese buck at 8 weeks old

1547975_1466309940289820_629571897441083040_o.jpg

^Tort and black kits a couple days ago

I would LOVE to see pics of the chocolate sallander. PLEASE?? I bet she is just gorgeous!

Lovely :) I agree that the tort is quite striking and those ears are to die for !

Your chocolate doe had quite a few hidden recessives to produce such a rainbow

Rabbits that look like Siamese cats are actually called "sable points" in rabbits or blue point or chocolate point or lilac point

"Siamese sable" is used for darker shadeds - more like a Burmese cat in colour. The blues are called "Smoke Pearl" just to confuse things :mrgreen: and then chocolate sable and lilac sable :)

The picture of the "Siamese Buck" at 8 weeks,
Looks more like a Californian to me.
A Rabbit that looks like a Siamese Cat
is called a Siamese in the Satin breed.
A nice mix of colors though.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":3m1vpamg said:
The picture of the "Siamese Buck" at 8 weeks,
Looks more like a Californian to me.
except Californians (which are all the himilayan colour) always have red/ruby eyes ;)

A Rabbit that looks like a Siamese Cat
is called a Siamese in the Satin breed.
:shock: There are plenty exceptions :shrug: i swear they do it just to confuse us :mrgreen: I wasnt aware of this one, Thanks Ottersatin :)

Latest posts

Back