If I breed a broken colored rabbit with less than 10% . . .

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
. . . color to a solid colored rabbit, how many false charlies would I get? Would it be 25% solid, 25% true broken, 25% false charlies and 25% :?: :?: :?: In my " :!: unexpected :!: " litter I have a small doe, but she's a false charlie, I like her and have already dubbed her with the name Charlotte (although she is more commonly called Charlie :roll: ). I am seriously considering keeping her, but if I breed her will I get a lot of false charlies?

I'll try to post some pictures of her later.

Breeding a true Charlie to a solid should produce 100% broken

Breeding a broken to a solid should produce 50% solids and 50% broken

False Charlie's (and booted brokens) are created by unknown modifiers so there is no way to know which kits will get these extreme (or limiting) white genes.

A false charlie is genetically the same as a broken but looks like a charlie. It comes from modifiers we don't have a way to calculate that causes more or less white. You cannot tell a false charlie from a true charlie without knowing the parents and often having test bred the rabbit. If it is a false charlie then you will get solids when bred to a solid and if it's a true charlie you will get 100% brokens when bred to a solid. It should be 50% when broken crossed to a solid but the odds are not per litter, just overall, so you might get a litter of all solids or all brokens instead. Multiple litters may be needed, especially with small litters, to feel confident whether a rabbit is a charlie or a broken with a lot of white.

Breeding a broken, charlie or not, to a solid can give you every pattern under the sun depending on those modifiers. You could end up with a bunch of nearly all white rabbits or a bunch of booted rabbits with everything in between. That's why it's suggested to only use solids with well marked brokens in their background. Even though they don't show the broken pattern they carry modifiers that will effect the pattern of the broken offspring.

Thanks. I am pretty sure she is a false charlie because her father is broken and her mother is solid. The only way to get a true charlie is the parents both have to be broken? Correct?

I think I may keep her if she has type like her mother, to experiment and play around with so I can learn more on genetics.

Here are some pictures I just took, please excuse the bad quality trying to take pictures of a 2 week old rabbit by yourself at 9 pm isn't easy, especially one that wants to explore and not pose for the camera.

Attachments

• SAM_1924.JPG
    SAM_1924.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 301
  • SAM_1928.JPG
    SAM_1928.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 301
  • SAM_1929.JPG
    SAM_1929.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 301
  • SAM_1927.JPG
    SAM_1927.JPG
    424.9 KB · Views: 301
  • SAM_1926.JPG
    SAM_1926.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 301
  • SAM_1930.JPG
    SAM_1930.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 300
Yep, as said, both have to be brokens to get a true charlie. The baby pictured doesn't even look like a false charlie to me, there is enough color to be more than 10%. Another judge may have a different opinion though, however I was told that if there is a line of spots, ears, and face marking then you are good to go as far as amount of color goes.

Yep the requirements are eye, ear, and nose markings with the nose marking preferably being even on both sides. Then some spots down the back. So it may be entirely showable.

akane":2g582jtm said:
Yep the requirements are eye, ear, and nose markings with the nose marking preferably being even on both sides. Then some spots down the back. So it may be entirely showable.

Really? Now I'm super excited!

didn't look like a charlie to me either. :) If shown you might get comments of light in colour (I just recently did a doe with a touch more colour then this one).

Thanks. I am going to try taking her to some shows this fall (if I keep her) and see what the judges say.

Latest posts

Back