Ideas on modifications to a rabbit hutch I purchased

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I purchased a used rabbit hutch for $40. Here is a picture of it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Hutch-Size ... bbit+hutch

Now, notice that the description on the link says "outdoor hutch"...

Admittedly, I should have looked closer before putting a deposit down but I didn't. I saw that it was in need of a good clean-out and a few fixes and modifications. As my friend said when they delivered it to me today (I don't own a truck)...this is not made for outdoor use. The back side wood is too thin to last long outdoors. I need this for outdoors.

So, help me brainstorm some easy modifications to make it serviceable for at least a long enough while to feel I got my money's worth out of it. I need this to preferably house two adult rabbits and a litter of kits OR the doe and her kits and I'll house daddy elsewhere. (These are the rabbits I'm going to be trying to capture this week...they've been living wild in a mobile home park.

1. I'm wondering if the back could be either replaced with a better wood backing or with wire...not sure it the back board is "structural" or not is my concern with using wire.

2. The ramp just will not do...I need to either close off the two levels and make two cages OR find another way to provide access from one level to the other.

3. The floor of the upper level is particle board...it will need replacing...I'd prefer with wire but not sure how, in this design, to deal with potty issues...

4. floor on lower level really needs to be replaced with just wire...not that half-wood/half-wire deal

__________ Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 pm __________

Okay, I have taken out the dividing wall in the upper section and another piece of wood that went...I'm not sure where... I really think the wood floor in the upper cage needs to be replaced as it is chewed and stained with urine...and sterilizing nightmare.<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 pm __________<br /><br />Thinking.... remove the upper level floor, remove back wall...add platforms/tiers along the sides to make use of the height...

or...I could replace the back wall with a better piece of plywood and still do the platforms....

Ugh I have almost the exact same hutch. Sitting empty.... In my yard. Potty issues where to big of a pain in the rear. I'll be following this thread closely~

As much as I hate to say this,
I believe that it is going to cost you
more in time and money than the price
of the cage to make it operable.
A solid wood floor will just not do.
The upper cage area must have a wire floor
and a drooping board so that the manure falls
to the back and on the ground, not on the
head of the lower occupant. If that can be accomplished
You will need a much denser/Heavier Wood surrounding case
to allow the cage to stand up to the weather.
You might be better off building a shell out of 2X4's
closing the top, back and sides with plywood and hanging
a few all-wire cages from the roof rafters.
I would try to sell the purchased cage to someone who
could use it for a House pet!
Just my thoughts on the problem.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I believe the reviews say it all.....
It doesn't appear it will hold up to a single small rabbit indoors. I seriously doubt it would be worth your time for a litter of babies outdoors.

Well, I can't in all conscience pass it off to someone else knowing it isn't a functional cage. So, at this point, there is nothing to lose to experiment with it and see what comes of it...or strip it of the usable parts for something else....

Latest posts

Back