Ideas for Avoiding Summer Sterility in Bucks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedWaveNow

Reaction score
I had hoped that, being this is its first year, our buck could withstand higher temperatures. I read that above about 80-85° F bucks become sterile until after about a two week cool period.
Well as soon as temperatures go to 80° F here in Arkansas two months ago, I suspect he's sterile. He's bred before but none of my does are having litters at the expected date.
So I have thought about mounting a cage to the wall of my hen house with a literal window unit blasting him 24/7, but I don't know whether that's necessary. Bringing him inside just ain't an option either.
Has anyone had success with a box fan keeping the bucks fertile through the summer? I just installed their box fans today. Will try breeding two weeks from today. If that doesn't work I guess he'll get a window unit lol.
Thanks in advance.

They don't have much fur on their balls?

I'm not sure about fans, they move air alright but don't cool it, that's fine to keep a shed close to outside temperatures instead of heating up in the sun, but they don't lower the temperature. the cooling effect we feel is because we sweat - rabbits don't do that.

Any way to give him something cool to lounge on? Like a flat stone or tile, maybe with a cooling pack underneath? I even put a Jerry Can I filled at the crook every morning into the hutches of those I could not let out.
Or give him access to the ground, maybe make some tunnels, like by burying some pipes, or piling soil on a sturdy hidey house and keep it moist? Or just enable him to get to cool places like crawling spacees under a shed or so?

Anyway, at the temperatures mentioned heat sterility is something to consider if you are having problems, it's not like they just turn sterile at those points. I definitly don't have that luck (I don't need litters in summer, would be awesome if I had not to worry about keeping the buck away from the does), they always go out of the heat themself if they have the oppurtunity - my buck is free roam in house and garden, he lives a pampered pet life :D.

Attachments

• Kühlung3.JPG
    Kühlung3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Kühlung2.JPG
    Kühlung2.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
Mt thought was to keep a buck from a January litter to breed in summer. I've read young bucks don't have as many issues. Then when fall comes, he goes to freezer camp.

The Rabbitry Center on YouTube created boxes for their bucks to escape the heat in. It works in MI.
Not so sure about in down here in FL.

I'm hoping the TAMUKs will be able to withstand the heat like they were bred for. We hit 90 most of last week. My NZ/CA cross doe sure looked like she was struggling, I probably won't breed her until October when it cools off. The TAMUK next to her did fine.

I put a 12"X24" white ceramic tile in the cage, put a frozen water bottle on one end of the tile and blow a fan at the cage. The ice bottle cools the tile and the fan creates a radiator effect to cool the surrounding area. Almost like a personal air conditioner.

Latest posts

Back