I will find you !!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gracious! I wouldn't want to see that same expression on the adult version of that puppy!

Whoa, what an expression! :shock:

Too funny, on a little puppy!!! :rotfl:

(I'm with MSD, though... I wouldn't want to cross him when he's grown!)

playing the devils advocate here. BUT !!! if dogs are trained and socialized properly they SHOULD be JUST FINE :) Ive had "Bad Dogs" ie: Pits, Dobie's Shepherds and the like the only one I had put down was a GSD that had been abused before I took him home and he just could not get over it. That was a sad sad day. Animals are victims of humans, some who seem to think they are here for us to do with as they please

The scariest dog on the planet is under 10 lbs and treated like a spoiled child. I will trust a Pitbull, Dobie, Rottweiller, etc that I've never met before long before I trust some foofoo thing that's carried everywhere.

I agree, 3mina, plus the little ones are sneaky and will try to bite you from behind. Though I guess that's understandable, since they're not big enough to go toe to toe with the big dawgs.

Cindi Davis":3pzjfawl said:
playing the devils advocate here. BUT !!! if dogs are trained and socialized properly they SHOULD be JUST FINE :) Ive had "Bad Dogs" ie: Pits, Dobie's Shepherds and the like the only one I had put down was a GSD that had been aboused before I took him home and he just could not get over it. That was a sad sad day. Animals are victims of humans, some whom seem to think they are here for us to do with as they please
We weren't saying he's a bad dog, just commenting on the expression on his face. :) Such a serious, all-business expression, but hilarious on a little puppy face! :lol:

Kinda like this picture:
407724_479898418721372_1138298325_n.jpg

I LOVE my foofoo puff ball. Though I have to say he is timid and may bite if cornered by a stranger. :x My Pitbull on the other hand was wonderful. But the neighbor lady was terrified of him and so we had to get rid of him. I was so upset that day.
And grooming dogs in Chicago, The only dogs that bit me were the little ones and the worst bit was from a miniature Dotson.
Ridiculously sharp little teeth went right in between my knuckle and It got infected and nerve damage. Only once did a guy bring in a pitbull that was mean and had to be muzzled. And well the guy was not upstanding type citizen either. He thought it was soooo funny. :evil:

When I worked in grooming shops, kennels, and veterinary hospitals it was never the big "aggressive" breeds that were a problem. Lhasa Apsos were notorious biters and Afghan Hounds were unpredictable (they don't give a warning, they just bite!), and Chows were especially dangerous and nearly always muzzled when handled. The Shepards, Dobies, Pits, and most Rottweilers were all big babies.

Ive had smaller dogs act way more aggressive than the big guys. its strange to me that it happens but it do :)

My little Corgi girl (who is growing like a weed) is fearfull to almost the extreme. SO I take her almost everywhere I can and have people pet and talk to her. The next hurdle is strange dogs, They terrify her big time

I think one should NEVER generalize what an unknown dog is going to act like based on its size, age or breed.... NEVER!! Always go by the body language. If you don't understand a dog's body language then learn, especially if one tends to meet a lot of dogs. Saying small dogs are more aggressive than pits or rotties for example is just as bad as saying a PitBull (I absolutely hate this breed name!)is a dangerous breed. I don't understand how people can defend a dog bred for fighting/killing other dogs(what the term "pit" refers to and why I don't like it) and in the same breath generalize that small "fluffy" dogs are more prone to being dangerous. All dogs give warning, the problem is you have to see it when it is shown, sometimes it is not very long time from when a dog shows his discomfort and the time he will decide he has to do something. Small fluffy dogs have a lot of that body language hidden in their long flowing locks..they also may have restricted vision that makes them defensive. Tail-less dogs may make it hard to see what they are thinking especially by other dogs. Grooming other peoples' untrained, unsocialized dogs does not make that a standard breed behaviour. People also tend to treat small size dogs like toys, they don't shape correct behaviors and laugh when they do what would be considered dangerous coming from a big dog. So when the argument is made that Pits etc. can be sweethearts because it is "environment" shaping their behaviours, then the same can be said for all the badly behaved toy breeds you would come across.There are bad owners of every kind of dog just as there are good owners of every breed of dog. I always look at each dog I meet as an individual and don't pre-judge based on it's breed.

My "generalization" is based on 12+ years of dealing with dogs of all types, personalities and temperaments. I DO read body language, quite well thank you, and I am magnitudes more careful with small and toy dogs because people think the aggression they show is cute. Things that wouldn't be tolerated in a dog that weighs thirty pounds is encouraged in a dog that weighs three. Untrained, unsocialized dogs are everywhere and and grooming is a stressor that brings out a dogs basic responses good or bad. I've noticed the exact same ratios in the dog park and the vets office. There are two chihuahuas at the shop I work at that if they were the size of pitbulls would have been destroyed years ago because they are nasty little dogs that are dog and people
aggressive but since they weigh a combined ten pounds or less it's ok. I never said I judge on looks or breed, I said small dogs are more likely to be nasty because I've seen that, over and over and over again. Empirical evidence counts.

Devon's Mom, I do too each dog is an entity unto itself and should be judged as such
Heck I like all dogs doesnt matter the breed

Untrained little dogs are a pain. My mom has 2 beiwer terriers who are untrained. I cringe when they visit. My 9 year old is rushed and snapped at when she sits on the couch. It usually takes a little reminder from me for it to think twice. Don't worry I don't hurt it I am just firm with it. I also have a small beiwer that is sweet and gentle. He is trained to sit, come, down, Stay, off and walk nice on leash. The only problem I have is if my severe mood disorder child is in a rage my 5# pup will try and get him away from me. I put him in a crate when son is like that. He is responding to my anxiety. I am worried if I allow it he will then become a biter which is not OK. The sweetest dog I had in my entire life was a pit mix. Everyone loved her. People would stop on their walks and reach over the fence to visit her.

I have worked with animals most of my life. smaller dog breeds have a higher bite persintage. and at the top of the list is cocker spaniel. I have wolves. my male use to sleep with me. most people find that suprising. my mother had a wirehair doxy. he bit my brother and almost broke his finger. the track records speek for them selves. i do not hate little dogs but i doo have more caution with them. most are cute, lots are sweet. even if the owner says the dog doesent bite I still keep an eye out.

Latest posts

Back