I think lucky has mastitis.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
I was checking on Lucky today and I noticed that she has a large lump on her lower abdomin . She was a bit cagey so I did not pull her out for a closer exam. I had some taramycin on hand so I put that in her water. What else should I do? Should I try to extract the infection from her?
I did read on here that I could dry up her milk by using sage and rebreeding her, but what about her kits? They were born on the 12th? Ten days is too young.
I am also afraid to foster them to the other doe who has 14 day olds can't she catch it too?
In fact I started her on the taramycin too. I stopped feeding calf mana. Should I also restrict the crimped oats? I just introduced the oats this past week and I wonder if that could have caused this.
I have never had this problem before.

You need antibiotics NOW, feel the lump, see if it's focused on a nipple, if you can milking it, getting it to drain is best
I have a rabbit that completely lost one teat, I open it up and drained it (lancing) then slathered on a horse balm thats 90+% sulfur flour and 5?% pine oil, while loading her up with PCN (penicillin)

The lancing, and balm did the job, the balm basically mummified the infected tissue that her body had walled off, and I had to go in and 'peel' it out every other day.
not pretty, BUT, she made grand champion at the last show, so it was worth it.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:41 pm __________<br /><br />OH, the LAST thing you want to do is dry up her milk, do that and you trap the infection.

Penicillin. Where do I get it? Should i ask at my feed store? I have read on here people talking about giving injections but where do I get these things? It is the one in the picture and she has grown on me.i don't want to loose her but a vet is too expensive.

I am pretty certain that injectable penicillin is available w/out rx at feedstores for large animal use. You can also apply a hot compress to the area and try to express the milk. In the first days after giving birth, I would become painfully engorged, so much so that it was almost impossible to get the baby to latch on, and taking a hot shower really helped the milk let down.

I hope you solve the problem! Good luck!

We went through a similar situation with our favourite doe, Alice, this summer past. Here's the link to the thread:
topic4207.html

You need to determine if it is mastitis or just an abscess and for that you will need to get her out of her cage and examine her. Wear gloves it you have to. In Alice's case, it turned out to be an abscess (no mammary gland was involved) and we lanced it, cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide (helps to liquify the thick pus) and applied triple antibiotic ointment. Her kits were about four weeks old so okay to wean. We gave her daily shots subcutaneously of Penicillin G with Procaine, which we bought at the feed store, for several days. It is for larger livestock, but works fine for rabbits if you calculate an appropriate dosage. She made a full recovery.

I have no firsthand experience with mastitis, so will have to leave that for others to give their input. The issue of the kits is one you need to look at. If it is mastitis, she needs to have the milk drawn off. I don't know how antibiotics affect nursing kits.

I got the penicillin and it is the same as on your post Maggie. 300,000 units per ml. She is about 8 lbs or a bit more so I figured that she needed .50 cc. Now my problem is that the syringe that I got are in MLs not ccs . Is the conversion 100 ccs equals 1 ml? If so I am in so much trouble with this syringe!
Oh wait so 1/2 a ml is = .50 cc??? That is doable on the syringe.
So I looked it up and yes it is 1/2 a ml or .05 ml.
Now to go wrestle a rabbit. Wish me luck. Ha ha with Lucky.

Make sure you are using at LEAST a 22g needle, or it will take forever draw up and then inject.

That will work, just make sure you inject it with the beveled portion of the needle facing up. Otherwise, it may make a larger hole that will bleed more.

OneAcreFarm":m7k7zbma said:
make sure you inject it with the beveled portion of the needle facing up.

I didn't know that. I guess I have achieved my daily quota re: learn something new every day. What a relief! I am free to wander about in a fog of stupidity for the rest of the day! :p

MamaSheepdog":3qibwkga said:
OneAcreFarm":3qibwkga said:
make sure you inject it with the beveled portion of the needle facing up.

I didn't know that. I guess I have achieved my daily quota re: learn something new every day. What a relief! I am free to wander about in a fog of stupidity for the rest of the day! :p

Ever notice how some people can give a shot or draw blood from you and it does not really hurt or leave a bruise? And with other it hurts like crazy and leaves a huge bruise? This is usually why that happens...when you use the needle "bevel down" the blades on the needle (yes, it has blades on the edges of the bevel) will actually slice the tissue/vein. When used "bevel up" as they are made to be used, the needle penetrates without slicing any adjacent tissue. I ALWAYS watch the person giving me a shot or drawing blood and if they aren't doing it right, I speak up.

All done. Phew. Lucky is a trooper. She did question my credentials a few times. My son was the orderly. He would be a fine vet.:) I figured I did it well enough. No blood and she is not dead. When I tried to extract the milk/pus from the swollen teats it was so thick but white; looked like Elmer's glue. I did not get much out of the one she is most swollen with. I hope I got it started for her. She is in there now nursing her kits. I have brought her into the garage in a different cage. I am worried about it spreading to the other nursing doe.
How many more shots do I give her and how long should she be quarantined ?

I would treat her for at least a week. Is the dosing once a day or twice a day? And keep her nursing and also keep trying to express that one swollen teat. The kits may avoid that one and she needs to have it cleared out.

Yes . I am pretty sure. The one lump turned out to be two teats swollen together. They were hot to the touch , but still sort of soft. One is way more swollen than the other. About an hour after I initially saw her nursing, I went out to check on her and she jumped back in the box. She let them latch on and was going to jump back out. Not this time.I put my hand on her back and just sort of applied gentle pressure when she acted like she was going out again. When I thought about 10min had passed I let her out. I did notice that she flinched a few times when they were nursing.The swelling is still there but maybe just a bit better.
Could this behavior have caused her problem in the first place? Jumping in and out like the Ninny that she is. She is one of the nicest meat mutts I have but she is not at the top of her class.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 pm __________<br /><br />Thanks Oneacre. I thought it was just once a day. I need to check.

Latest posts

Back