I think I pushed her too hard. :-/

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Cal Luna is about the best rabbit, and breeding doe I have. So has great litters, no losses, and is absolutely one of the best mothers!

Just after she has kindled her second litter I checked out her body condition, and she seemed very well so I decided that I wanted to go for 1 more Cal litter before the hot weather hit so I bred her again while she was taking care of litter 2/3. I weaned out litter 2/3, and put her in another cage so she could kindle litter 3/3. After kindling she looked good still, but as the kits were 3-4 weeks old I noticed her losing some weight. The kits are now 5 weeks old, and she is still losing weight, and feels quite boney. Not OMG she's going to die tomorrow boney, but quite enough to have me worried. I decided to start slow weaning litter 3/3. They have been eating, and drinking on their own, but still take from mom when they have the chance. So what I have been doing is removing Luna every other day, and letting the kits eat, and drink on their own while Luna gets a day of rest, and unlimited everything. Then the next day I put Luna back with the kits, and still give her unlimited everything.

I tried to find some Calf-Manna, Manna Gro, Manna Pro at the stores, but I could not find ANY! I looked on Amazon for Manna Pro rabbit feed, and they have 50lbs bags, but want $60 for it, ummm no thank you! :x

My rabbits are fed AMD PenPals 16% pellets, rolled oats, and pressed alfalfa cubes, along with a bit of grass when they are walked.

What else could I give Luna to help her get her weight back?

At five weeks, those kits can be weaned completely right now. Most does I've had started weaning their kits at four weeks or even earlier, though I had one that would keep nursing them until I took them away. It sounds to me as though Luna needs a complete break with unlimited anything -- the sooner the better.

I had a doe fall off like that too, and I just weaned the litter and started adding a tablespoon of oats and boss once a day.(one part boss mixed with 3 parts oats) I also had her wormed with zimectrin just for good measure. I also started to let her run out of feed, so she was good and hungry when I fed her her 1 cup of food. Sometimes she was out and sometime she wasn't but I think on full feed she was just not that interested in it as much. She always got a cup as long as she was out at feed time. (I feed twice a day) All these things helped her get back in shape in short order. I don't know which one helped the most but she was falling apart so fast it scared me.

Latest posts

Back