I saw my doe give birth! update: with picture!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
My husband doesn't get why I'm so excited by this so I have to share it where people will "get" it.

I went out last night to check my new Silver Fox doe who was due yesterday, she hadn't pulled fur or mad a nest but I palpated her and was sure she was preggo. It was her first litter and she is a year and a half and very fat so I was nervous. When I went out to do chores she was pulling a little fur so I gave her more hay and put the hair in the nest box to encourage her to go in it. When I came back 10 minutes later she was in the nestbox having them! You could see her contractions and she was licking a newborn kit and it was squeaking. I haven't done a nose count yet but I'm thinking there is 5. First time I have seen a doe actually giving birth, generally mine go in the middle of the night so I wake up to a cute surprise. Hopefully she mothers them well.

*UPDATE*

I don't think she is nursing them, they are acting very hungry and are thin and wrinkly. I flipped her over to let them nurse last night. How often should I do this? do stupid first time does figure it out? How long should I let it go before handfeeding the kits? I don't like interfering but would hate to lose the whole litter because the doe is dumb. If she neglects this litter will she be better the next time or does she need to be culled?

Further Update: she is now nursing them and they all look fat and happy!

*got a picture of Momma and some of the babies*
039_zps0788e806.jpg

thanks! I just went out and counted and there are 7 little wigglers in the nest! good doe!

Congratulations! I was lucky enough to see one of my does giving birth last week! It was really exciting. Good luck with the new wee ones! :)

:mbounce: :congratulations: :mbounce:

That is great! I saw a doe kindle last week on the wire, it was really interesting. The babies just sort of *plop* out, no umbilical cord attached, and then the placenta follows.

Congratulations on the 7 popples!!! Sounds like she's off to a great start! :good-luck:

Yay babies! :D
I somehow manage to catch most of my mamas kindling, although I like waking up to a surprise best! :D I think the babies are born with a hunger for milk because they always seem to swarm under her. lol Then when she hops out, they all roll and wiggle straight for the fluff pile. I keep trying to get video of them, but it's always too dark! ):

That's Awesome for you. Almost 2 weeks ago I walk out and saw one of my ND's having her babies. She had moved her nest from the box to her litter box (yuk). She had them all on the outside of the litter box. I got the last 2 on video. It was so cool. Don't worry once she was done i put them all in a nice clean nest box. It was so cool.

That's neat! I love watching animals give birth. :)

I usually catch my does in the act when I check them in the morning. If I don't catch them then, I usually do later that day, since I check them frequently when litters are due.

OneAcreFarm":366uzf97 said:
I saw a doe kindle last week on the wire, it was really interesting. The babies just sort of *plop* out, no umbilical cord attached, and then the placenta follows.

Same here, Sistah! :shock: They do just "plop out"! :lol:

When I saw my doe give birth - I walked in and she lifted her head a little bit and there was what looked like a big chicken liver hanging from her mouth and blood around her nose- she was eating the placenta- it was quite a shock and my brain couldn't figure out what it was at first :shock:

LOL, for a second I didn't realize that this was an older thread and I thought that your rabbit gave birth to the kits in the pic! Dang, if they came out like that I want some! :p

Back