i rescued a abadoned rabbit and i think he might have cheyle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue sky

Reaction score
hi
im new to rabbit keeping
i rescued a abadoned rabbit and i think he might have cheyletiella
he has a loss of fur around the neck and a few white flaking bumps on his back and one on his ear
is there any thing i can do besides taking him to a vet? :bunnyhop: (i cant afford it and all the shelters around here are kill shelters)
also can you post pictures on this blog?

There are several non medical treatments for fur mites but thankfully I haven't had to use them so cannot comment on their effectiveness.

I have heard that diatatomous earth will mince them causing dehydration and oil will drown them :shrug:

Sagebrush":2ebjfmt8 said:
Get the food grade not pool grade DE. A small bit rubbed into his fur is all you really need.
a small bit of oil or did i get that wrong
if it is oil what kind of oil?

DE would probably be preferable to oil... with one, you have a live dust bunny; with the other, you have a live oil slick. :roll:

A tablespoon or so of food-grade DE (can be gotten at a lot of feed stores... I found one that had it by the pound), rubbed into the fur especially around the back of the neck, the back, and around the ears. Do this three times, 10 days apart. That should take care of the fur mites. :)

how much should DE cost? how much should i get?and where can i get it? are there any avalible at petshops or superstores? :thankyou:

Here is a fact sheet on DE. If you google diatomaceous earth you will find a lot of information, including some sources.
http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/de.html

If you use oil, use either mineral oil or a vegetable oil such as olive oil. It is very messy. Mineral oil can be laxative, so if the rabbit licks it off it may cause "poopy butt". Use it sparingly, only on and around the affected areas. DE is likely a better choice.

blue sky,

do you know anybody that raises cattle? If you do see if you can beg a little Ivomec (that's a brand name) off them. The injectable kind is what you want. It only takes .08 cc per pound of rabbit and no you do not give them a shot. Just squirt it in their mouth. Give it to them again in 10 -12 days and you'll be done. I've tried DE in the past and yes it works but is kind of slow IMHO. Ivomec works right now! An insulin syringe full (1 cc) is more than enough to treat a small rabbit twice.

:good-luck:

Homer":3obvw1lu said:
blue sky,

do you know anybody that raises cattle? If you do see if you can beg a little Ivomec (that's a brand name) off them. The injectable kind is what you want. It only takes .08 cc per pound of rabbit and no you do not give them a shot. Just squirt it in their mouth. Give it to them again in 10 -12 days and you'll be done. I've tried DE in the past and yes it works but is kind of slow IMHO. Ivomec works right now! An insulin syringe full (1 cc) is more than enough to treat a small rabbit twice.

i wish but no i dont know anyone. :cry:

blue sky":3iqf5biu said:
how much should DE cost? how much should i get?and where can i get it? are there any avalible at petshops or superstores? :thankyou:
Prices can vary a bit... I got it by the pound (you only need one pound, and you will have an insane amount left over for any future problems), and other members on here were jealous that I got it for a little over $1/pound.

This was at a hardware and feed store. Another feed store has it only in 50# bags, and it comes with bituminous clay. No harm in it, though.

You may be able to get it at a health food store or Whole Foods, because some people mix it with juice and drink it for parasites. It is food grade for animals and humans.

I haven't seen it at a pet store, and I just tried a search at Petsmart that was unsuccessful. Looking it up at Home Depot found several products, marketed for use against bedbugs and other critters, but they have "other ingredients", whatever they may be. The DE used in them is food grade, but the "other ingredients" likely are not. I would not get anything but pure, food-grade DE. After all, the rabbit will be ingesting it as it grooms itself. :)

You can also get it online. EBay and such.

if i use olive oil how many times do i have to do it?
I would imagine it would be the same number of times, 10 days apart. This is because you have to catch eggs that hatch after you treat.

Homer":3iqf5biu said:
blue sky,

i wish but no i dont know anyone. :cry:
You can get ivermectin (same stuff) for horses at a feed store or online. The oral horse ivermectin is 1.87% strength, and you give a pea-sized amount (little pea for little rabbit, larger pea for larger rabbit). Again, three doses, 10 days apart to make sure you get all the eggs. It costs anywhere from $8 - $13 for a tube of it. You can smear it on the lips or stick it in the side of the mouth on a popsicle stick. <br /><br /> -- Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:26 am -- <br /><br />
also can you post pictures on this blog?
Sorry I missed this!

Yes, you can! Here are a couple of ways:

attachment-tutorial-t5.html

picture-tutorial-t6003.html

rabbit 3 edited.jpgheres a pic of his bald spot
i couldnt take it very well

Attachments

• rabbit 1 edited.jpg
    rabbit 1 edited.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 311
  • rabbit 2 edited.jpg
    rabbit 2 edited.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 310
MaggieJ":3qk31d95 said:
Here is a fact sheet on DE. If you google diatomaceous earth you will find a lot of information, including some sources.

If you use oil, use either mineral oil or a vegetable oil such as olive oil. It is very messy. Mineral oil can be laxative, so if the rabbit licks it off it may cause "poopy butt". Use it sparingly, only on and around the affected areas. DE is likely a better choice.
can i use a vegetable oil such as corn oil? cause i cant seem to find any food grade DE ANYWHERE!!!!:bunnyhop:

blue sky":16d4grr5 said:
MaggieJ":16d4grr5 said:

can i use a vegetable oil such as corn oil? :bunnyhop:
Yes, you can. :)

Adorable blue bun!!! Our first bunny was one we rescued when someone abandoned it. And yep, he had fur mites.

heres some better pics

Attachments

• furless neck 1 edited.jpg
    furless neck 1 edited.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 394
  • furless neck 2 edited.jpg
    furless neck 2 edited.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 394
Back