I have an awesome husband

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
I've not been online as much lately due to a wonderful gift from my husband.

I've ha some brain and vision issues and really just dragging the last year or two.

I played the violin as a child an LOVE cello music.

He bought me a CELLO for Christmas. A CELLO!!!!

So I've been working hours a day when I'm not caring for livestock playing the cello. And I'm in love and feel a renewed sense of purpose. The first song I taught myself was Amazing Grace. I'm not religious, but it is by far my favorite song ever. Both the words and the tune.

And thats it, I just wanted to share that. :) LOL~!

Oh good, I get to put my nephew Schuyler Slack up for brags... Just google his name. He is one hot Cellist
He got his talent from my brother not me.. I can't play anything, but he sure can.. Just give him a listen. I bet you will like it.
You can even check him out on you tube.

BlueHaven":7q4ct61c said:
Oh good, I get to put my nephew Schuyler Slack up for brags... Just google his name. He is one hot Cellist
He got his talent from my brother not me.. I can't play anything, but he sure can.. Just give him a listen. I bet you will like it.
You can even check him out on you tube.

Oh my gosh, he is so talented! And must put in so many many hours of hard work. I youtub watched his Trinity church performance in September of this year. WOW!

I hope to aspire to be 1/4 as good as he is. I've got a dozen or so simple songs under my belt since Christmas. lol I'm going to keep plugging away.

What a wonderful gift!! I, too, grew up playing the violin, but have always been fascinated by the cello - I like the deeper tones that it produces over the higher ones of the violin. I think my hands are too small to play it though - my pinkies are abnormally short, plus I have little control over them (in that when I bend them they are either straight, or curved. There is little inbetween - the tendons "pop" into place one way or the other. It's weird). I think that's why I struggled so many years with the violin, and guitar actually.

heritage":2fjwho55 said:
What a wonderful gift!! I, too, grew up playing the violin, but have always been fascinated by the cello - I like the deeper tones that it produces over the higher ones of the violin. I think my hands are too small to play it though - my pinkies are abnormally short, plus I have little control over them (in that when I bend them they are either straight, or curved. There is little inbetween - the tendons "pop" into place one way or the other. It's weird). I think that's why I struggled so many years with the violin, and guitar actually.

ME TOO!!!

I'm finding the cello to be MUCH easier than the violin. I hated the screetchy E string!!!

Hubby got me a 3/4 size cello since I'm so small. My fingers also lock into place. One of the cool things about the cello is that your hand moves around to different positions MUCH easier than the violin and I can't reach my 4th finger on the D string so I just move up to second position and it solves that problem.

Measure your arm length and go down a size on the cello. You'll find your short fingers that lock into place fit much better I bet.

That's great. Music was my world until I moved away from home and had to do other things to support myself , I play guitar , bass , trumpet , piano , drums and ..... just about anything else you hand me other than a flute or saxophone , absolutely no ability with either.
Really wish I had been able to continue ....

My two sons play violin , they laugh when I "attempt" to play blues guitar riffs (SRV couldn't stand the weather?) on it. Such a different instrument tho .... My daughter is learning to play (double) bass which is pretty comical to watch since she's tiny and that thing is sooo big.

My oldest is taking up cello now , says he enjoys it much more than the violin mainly because it can "do more" ... He heard Break of Reality (3 cellos & a drummer) doing covers of Metallica and was sold.

I know Lindsey Sterling is all the rage now .... but my favorite violinist is Ann Marie Calhoun , she's absolutely amazing .... Here's 6 minutes of awesome , Calhoun with Steve Vai , fellow violinist Alex DePue & "String Theories" .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7vyFnLvjw

dayna":eqa0gpoe said:
heritage":eqa0gpoe said:

ME TOO!!!

I'm finding the cello to be MUCH easier than the violin. I hated the screetchy E string!!!

Hubby got me a 3/4 size cello since I'm so small. My fingers also lock into place. One of the cool things about the cello is that your hand moves around to different positions MUCH easier than the violin and I can't reach my 4th finger on the D string so I just move up to second position and it solves that problem.

Measure your arm length and go down a size on the cello. You'll find your short fingers that lock into place fit much better I bet.

REALLY?!?! Oh, how tempting to try it! I always had this dream in my head that it would be "easier" - but figured it was just wishful thinking. How easy or difficult has it been to transition over? I am just now learning to read notes on bass cleft, but am not sure what the cello uses.

Cello is base cleft. Its sometimes hard to transistion because you mostly use fingers 1, 3 and 4 for a scale, the 2nd finger is a half note (kind of like when you use the second finger on the violin for a flat its halfway between the 1st and 2nd finger position).

Go to a music store and try it out! Are you on facebook? I put a video of me playing the cello a couple hours after setting it up. :)

Latest posts

Back