I have a Breeding Question please.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 NZW Does and 1 NZW Buck....I bought them from a Commercial Breeder this Spring when they were 12 weeks old (they are 8 months old now). I have been told and read where some Rabbit people say, if you don't breed them by 6 months old they will never breed or you will have a hard time getting them to breed, Is this true? This is my 3rd time raising meat Rabbits and I have never heard this. It's been about 15 years since the last time I raised them and forgot a lot of things, but I do not remember this. I have tried breeding them several times when they were 6 months old till now! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Frank from Alabama

I would love an answer to your question too!
What I have heard is that you should not breed them until they reach the age of 6 months. Once they are 6 months, you have to breed them before they are 1 year, or certain bones will fuse. I have also heard that the later you breed them, the more unfertile they become.
I would love to know whats true an what isnt. :)

I can't speak for everyone but my own situation would say that's not true. I bred my 18 month old virgin Holland for the first time last spring, and she kindled 7 with 5 live, and they all did just fine:). I think a lot of it is personal opinion but I do believe there is some truth to the idea that it can be more difficult, but not impossible. Certainly not to the extent they will not breed or ever kindle. I apply it to humans. The older we get the more likely there are for problems to occur, but I know a lot of women in their 40's having perfectly healthy babies:)

I bred my Red doe with about 1 year, no problems, 10 kits, all alive and 4 weeks now and well fed.
Hm, it took some time but in that case the buck was just too young. And I'm sure their next date will be a lot shorter...
I'm sure I read about older first time moms several times.

Actually, some consider 6-8 months the earliest time a doe should be bred, but I guess it really depends on the individual rabbit and breed.

If you start reading on the internet you'll find all kinds of contradicting info, also what you hear from some breeders is sometimes strange (one is sure that his doe was bred by a rat because he didn't put her to the buck :? ).
There are many hearsay "rules" like that "before 12 months", or "must not feed wet grass", some are bogus, others have a smaller or bigger grain of truth in them.

Frankallen":3d2867e2 said:
I have 2 NZW Does and 1 NZW Buck....I bought them from a Commercial Breeder this Spring when they were 12 weeks old (they are 8 months old now). I have been told and read where some Rabbit people say, if you don't breed them by 6 months old they will never breed or you will have a hard time getting them to breed, Is this true? This is my 3rd time raising meat Rabbits and I have never heard this. It's been about 15 years since the last time I raised them and forgot a lot of things, but I do not remember this. I have tried breeding them several times when they were 6 months old till now! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Frank from Alabama

The heat over the last two months may have contributed to your not getting litters. I tend to breed my NZ does around six months and have had no issues. If it's cooled off down there, maybe try again? I would make sure the buck gets a few fall-offs to clear out his system. Good luck!

Petlover500":1e6e1m89 said:
I would love an answer to your question too!
What I have heard is that you should not breed them until they reach the age of 6 months. Once they are 6 months, you have to breed them before they are 1 year, or certain bones will fuse. I have also heard that the later you breed them, the more unfertile they become.
I would love to know whats true an what isnt. :)

Petlover, that bit about the bones fusing is a myth, at least where rabbits are concerned. Older does sometimes do not breed well for other reasons, the primary one being the accumulation of fat in the body cavity where it does not show.

Frankallen, eight months for first breeding is fine. Many people advocate earlier breeding but willingness to breed varies from rabbit to rabbit. Vitamin A and Vitamin E are important. If you feed pellets they should be getting enough, but these two vitamins are vulnerable to degradation due to poor or prolonged storage. Adding some dark, leafy greens like dandelions or parsley for Vitamin A (phase them in slowly if your buns are not accustomed) and a few drops of wheat germ oil daily for Vitamin E for a couple of weeks may make a big difference in their interest. Naturally this will only work if the problem is nutritional.

You may also find this thread helpful:
judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

:yeahthat:

I'm in the "breed them when they're ready," camp.
Seen way to many older does do fine to worry too much about that.

Mucky was bred first at a year old too. Hard to get bred, but a great mother.

Frankallen":1n50cnvu said:
I have 2 NZW Does and 1 NZW Buck....I bought them from a Commercial Breeder this Spring when they were 12 weeks old (they are 8 months old now). I

Frank from Alabama

Did you happen to get them from Crossroads rabbitry???

Rabbitdog":13s5070a said:
Frankallen":13s5070a said:
I have 2 NZW Does and 1 NZW Buck....I bought them from a Commercial Breeder this Spring when they were 12 weeks old (they are 8 months old now). I

Frank from Alabama

Did you happen to get them from Crossroads rabbitry???

Yes, I did! Mike Fulton, is a real nice owner and operator of Crossroads Rabbitry! If some of you have never seen his operation, it is a sight to behold.. I have never seen so many Rabbits in my life. I could have called Mike, but I figured y'all would know just as well.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this question....Y'all will start hearing more from me in the near future...

Thanks so much! :)

Frank from Bama

Latest posts

Back