I have 7 rabbits, but I don't know what 5 of them are.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeyHayHay

Hay
Reaction score
I have 5 rabbits that I don't know what they are.

One of the rabbits I have is a pure white, brown-eyed doe. She is very friendly and is going to be a first-time mom.

The other 4 rabbits I have are all different colors, but the mom is a broken white and black doe and had a litter of 8 about two or three months ago. The doe has 3 kits about 10-11 weeks old, each a different color. One is solid grey, another is tan with a black spot by her eye, and the last is broken white with black spots. They are all does.

Can anyone please help me figure out what breed these does are?

Attachments

• Lola and Cracker.jpg
    Lola and Cracker.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Thumper.jpg
    Thumper.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Fredia.jpg
    Fredia.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Cookie.jpg
    Cookie.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have 5 rabbits that I don't know what they are.

One of the rabbits I have is a pure white, brown-eyed doe. She is very friendly and is going to be a first-time mom.

The other 4 rabbits I have are all different colors, but the mom is a broken white and black doe and had a litter of 8 about two or three months ago. The doe has 3 kits about 10-11 weeks old, each a different color. One is solid grey, another is tan with a black spot by her eye, and the last is broken white with black spots. They are all does.

Can anyone please help me figure out what breed these does are?
They look like they are probably a mixed breed, possibly with Flemish Giant in the mix given the particularly long ears on some of the babies, though that can also indicate Rex in the background.

I agree with @RabbitsOfTheCreek and @tambayo that Lola is probably a magpie (which is a harlequin with a chinchilla allele that blocks expression of yellow pigment, leaving white where the orange coloring would be).

The chinchilla allele can also produce ermine, which is also known as frosty or frosted pearl. In Fredia's case it looks like a blue version of that. However, ermine can also be produced by the sable allele, which is how you'd get that smoke pearl color on Thumper. So Fredia could be either a chinchilla-based ermine or a sable-based ermine. It looks like you've got both in the litter.

At first glance Cookie looks like a black magpie, but on closer examination she seems to have a third color mixed into her markings:
Cookie.jpg
This is a little confusing to me, because you'd expect a tricolor (broken harlequin) to have much more orange-looking color along with the black and the white; yet these markings look a lot more like what you'd get from sable. Orange this pale usually goes along wit a very recessive color like lilac, but she's definitely not lilac. But sable eliminates yellow and reduces black to sepia, so I can't think how you'd get both sepia and black on a single rabbit (though that harlequin allele can do some surprising stuff). Maybe @judymac or @reh has something to offer here?

Lola looks like she's probably a blue (dilute black) magpie. And I can't see enough of the rabbit to feel certain, but I think Cracker is a blue harlequin, rather than black harlequin.

Can you post a photo of the mother? She might be a magpie instead of a broken (sometimes it's hard to tell if the rabbit is both) but that might help figure out what's going on with Cookie. If you had a picture of the sire, that would be interesting too. 😁

They look like they are probably a mixed breed, possibly with Flemish Giant in the mix given the particularly long ears on some of the babies, though that can also indicate Rex in the background.

I agree with @RabbitsOfTheCreek and @tambayo that Lola is probably a magpie (which is a harlequin with a chinchilla allele that blocks expression of yellow pigment, leaving white where the orange coloring would be).

The chinchilla allele can also produce ermine, which is also known as frosty or frosted pearl. In Fredia's case it looks like a blue version of that. However, ermine can also be produced by the sable allele, which is how you'd get that smoke pearl color on Thumper. So Fredia could be either a chinchilla-based ermine or a sable-based ermine. It looks like you've got both in the litter.

At first glance Cookie looks like a black magpie, but on closer examination she seems to have a third color mixed into her markings:
View attachment 42777
This is a little confusing to me, because you'd expect a tricolor (broken harlequin) to have much more orange-looking color along with the black and the white; yet these markings look a lot more like what you'd get from sable. Orange this pale usually goes along wit a very recessive color like lilac, but she's definitely not lilac. But sable eliminates yellow and reduces black to sepia, so I can't think how you'd get both sepia and black on a single rabbit (though that harlequin allele can do some surprising stuff). Maybe @judymac or @reh has something to offer here?

Lola looks like she's probably a blue (dilute black) magpie. And I can't see enough of the rabbit to feel certain, but I think Cracker is a blue harlequin, rather than black harlequin.

Can you post a photo of the mother? She might be a magpie instead of a broken (sometimes it's hard to tell if the rabbit is both) but that might help figure out what's going on with Cookie. If you had a picture of the sire, that would be interesting too. 😁
The rabbit you edited the picture of is the mother (Cookie) of the 3 kits but other than that I don't know anything else, including Cookie's parents and the kits sire, but thank you!

Last edited:
I agree that the yellowish tone is very pale considering how dark the face is. How old is this rabbit? I've had brassy chins born that had some yellow tones on the back, they say it usually grows out by adulthood. It will be interesting to see how the color develops.

I agree that the yellowish tone is very pale considering how dark the face is. How old is this rabbit? I've had brassy chins born that had some yellow tones on the back, they say it usually grows out by adulthood. It will be interesting to see how the color develops.
I have no idea how old Cookie is, but I was googling some breeds and I think she is a Magpie Harlequin mix.

Last edited:
The rabbit you edited the picture of is the mother (Cookie) of the 3 kits but other than that I don't know anything else, including Cookie's parents and the kits sire, but thank you!
You can still tell a little from the kits, maybe a pic of those? Not knowing the sire of the kits does make most conclusions still a 'maybe', but it can confirm some recessive traits.

You can still tell a little from the kits, maybe a pic of those? Not knowing the sire of the kits does make most conclusions still a 'maybe', but it can confirm some recessive traits.
Here are pictures of the kits
The black fuzzy one is a Lionhead, not one of the kits

Attachments

• Lola and Cracker.jpg
    Lola and Cracker.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Thumper.jpg
    Thumper.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Cracker and Lola.jpg
    Cracker and Lola.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Cracker, Thumper, Lola, Dusty.jpg
    Cracker, Thumper, Lola, Dusty.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Black Bunny.jpg
    Black Bunny.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Thumper .jpg
    Thumper .jpg
    834.7 KB · Views: 0
I found this picture of a white Gotland rabbit. It looks just like Fredia. I have never heard of the breed but maybe it’s what Fredia is?

Attachments

• IMG_4449.jpeg
    IMG_4449.jpeg
    753.3 KB · Views: 0
I found this picture of a white Gotland rabbit. It looks just like Fredia. I have never heard of the breed but maybe it’s what Fredia is?
As far as I know, Gotland rabbits are a Swedish landrace breed (meaning there is not a predictable color or pattern), which haven't even really been bred to a standard until fairly recently. Maybe @MsTemeraire or @reh can give us more information about them.

Importing rabbits into the US from other countries is complicated and expensive, so it's not very likely they'd be floating around the US. But there are a lot of mixed breeds around, since a great pet or meat rabbit doesn't have to be a purebred anything, and purebreds tend to cost more than many folks want to spend on a rabbit. IMO Fredia is probably a pretty crossbreed. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back