I Has a Lop Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindi Davis

Reaction score
I have a doeling about 8 weeks old and one ear is not wanting to lay down properly yet. Is this normal ????

Yes, but it may never lie down. Lops must have their ears placed in a very particular spot on their heads to have a proper lop look. The term used when ears are not in the right spot is 'slipped crown' and usually the ears are too far back on the head to lie straight down.

Also, sometimes they can be too tight/pinched in the crown. My Mini Lops Lop no later than 4-6 weeks. At 8 weeks, your French will probably have that permanently. A good crown, is when you can put 3 fingers across the top without them slipping backward (slipped crown). You want them to be relaxed and rest right behind the eye. Pictures are also helpful :)

On average, the ears on my holland lop around 8-12 weeks. I just culled a doe that had a narrow head and her ears never did lop.

When I raised mini lops after they got big enough to run around I massaged their ears and crowns. That helped kits ears if they didn't want to lop.

Latest posts

Back