I had questions @ a willow..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
On a FB group< one of our RT members posted pics of her "Friendship Willow" cuttings as they are now.. ia sked for the scientific name "Salix Purpurea". Sine I Have access to a "Japanese Willow" That I had planted at my mother's place, I took advantage of easy computer access this morning-- and looked up willows in general, and all I can say is.... WOW!!!!

The Salix family is HUGE!!! Leaves come in all shapes, sizes, and colors- shrubby plants, trees, and through nurseries, ornamental grafted varieties.

Anyway, A couple nice sites for you folks--

hvp.osu.edu/pocketgardener/source/description
www,typesofwillowtrees.net
plantdatabase.co.uk

I got some cuttings in May from the willows on Mom's place, and found that the second year stems are what root best. Pencil thick seems to work well on that variety. so, if you are taking cuttings, take several different sizes of stem thicknesses-- The area that the flowers were on the cutting I took all just died back and rotted.. Also, warmth increased the rooting rate and the vigor of the root growth..

happy hunting!

Latest posts

Back