I figured it out - how much feed / per pound of rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
After some careful observation and notes, I have figured out that I am feeding 2 pounds of feed per litter per day to raise meat rabbits from the 4 to 12 week age. And the nursing mamas start going through about a pound a day from the time the kits are 2 weeks old, and 1/2 pound a day before then. Average litter size is 8 rabbits (surviving). Average dressed weight is 3.5 pounds at 12 weeks (My New Zealands hit 6 or more pounds live weight at 12 weeks). Average litter yield is 28 pounds of meat.

So the math is:

1/2 pound x 14 days = 7 pounds
1 pound x 14 days = 14 pounds
2 pounds x 60 days = 120 pounds

142 pounds of feed (round up to 150) = 3 bags of feed per litter of 8

Simple math is 6 pounds of feed per pound of dressed rabbit

Premium 18% feed is going at $17.50 for 50 pounds, about 34 cents per pound.

150 pounds x 34 cents/ pound = $51.00

feed bill: $51.00 in feed for 28 pounds of rabbit meat.

Cost per pound of meat = $1.82

But I cut my feed with a 50/50 ratio of a 15% protein "all stock" pellet for the growout pens (at 6 weeks and up) which is 24 cents/ pound, so the feed cost changes to this:

(1/2 pound) x 24 cents + (1/2 pound) x 35 cents = 29.5 cents/ pound feed, round up to 30 cents/ pound

Now we are looking at this type of math problem:

18% feed at 34 cents/ pound:

1/2 pound a day x 14 days = 7 pounds x 0.34 = $2.38
1 pound x 14 days = 14 pounds x 0.34 = $4.76
2 pounds x 14 days = 28 pounds x 0.34 = $9.52

and then the 50/50 mix at 30 cents a pound

2 pounds x 6 weeks (42 days) = 84 pounds x 0.30 = $28.56

Add on another 8 pounds of the 50/50 mix to get my rounded "150 pounds" = $2.40

Feed bill = $47.62

Cost per pound: $1.70

So I have to ask myself, is using the less expensive feed worth 12 cents a pound (or about 42 cents per rabbit)? More math: I am saving about $2.50 per litter. If I am raising 4 litters a month, that's 10.00 a month less on the feed bill. I also feed my bucks and non-breeding does the 50/50 mix, so that probably adds another $5 a month savings.

Comes down to one "free" bag of feed, so why not? Everything counts!

Of course, I feed timothy hay, too - but I buy that by the ton for the horses, and the rabbits eat so little (comparatively) that it doesn't really 'count' ;) My horses probably waste more hay per day than the rabbits eat.

Still you must figure in the hay....

In my grow-out pen (4' x 8') I usually have 3 litters at a time (22 to 27 kits) from 5 weeks to about 10 weeks. They themselves will go though at least a bale of hay. That would add around .20 or more a rabbit for $4 hay, counting what they ate the first 5 weeks.

nice, need to show my husband that. maby he will relax a little. he wants to see a return on the Investment, lol.

starshotbandit":2maojc6x said:
nice, need to show my husband that. maby he will relax a little. he wants to see a return on the Investment, lol.

....of course, cages and supplies were not included in the cost per pound! :D

Diamond! You are such the math whiz! I need to get out the mail-scale and figure out the volume per pound of pellets...since I feed a cup a day and don't know how much it weighs. I'm cutting back on my jr does a bit, since I'm not getting distinct spine ridge feeling on those two....don't want my future breeders getting too fat!

Also, when buying boneless skinless chicken breast at the store this month, what used to be a 3# bag is now a 2.5# bag at $7.00 per, making 1# of chicken at $2.80(?), I am still only paying about $2.00 per pound for 16 week old 3# dressed rabbit ... still a savings with the rough figures I am working with.

I'd like to figure that out, but will take more work since I mix my grains.
Also, when comparing price/lb. of rabbit you raised with chicken in the store....keep in mind that home raised meat is sooooooooooooooooooooooo SUPERIOR to any meat you'll find at the store!
I don't trust meat at the store, which is why we are raising rabbits. The only meat I kind of trust is way too expensive!

jollysrabbits":ilosdkjf said:
I am curious what is "all stock" feed? I read your post and asked at the feed store they looked at me like I was crazy! Lol.

It's a pelleted feed made by a small local mill. Is 'safe' for a variety of stock - horses, cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, - but not guaranteed nutritionally complete for any of them.

Main ingredients are wheat, oat, and barley mill screenings with soy meal added for protein (instead of corn).

Sounds good to me, but why do I come up negetive when I am getting $16-18 a rabbit??? I know you can't answer that, and we most likely have different practices on feeding and so forth, but math and reality don't add up for me. I appriciate your effort, and the time you put into this....I am still really bummed on how things worked out for me anyway.

Bowbuild

Amy":1bkbyy3f said:
Also, when comparing price/lb. of rabbit you raised with chicken in the store....keep in mind that home raised meat is sooooooooooooooooooooooo SUPERIOR to any meat you'll find at the store!

I agree Amy, but I still have to buy some chicken ... leg quarters and baking hens as rabbit just doesn't provide that crispy skin :cheesysmile:

And, my "profit" took a major hit today when I went to the feed store for a new square bale of hay ... almost $15!!!!! Ack, I will definitely be drying my lawn clippings next year for winter fodder!!! That also means I will need 5 or 6 black plastic trash bins and somewhere to store them ... <she wanders off rearranging the outside again>

bowbuild":z07apvuj said:
Sounds good to me, but why do I come up negetive when I am getting $16-18 a rabbit??? I know you can't answer that, and we most likely have different practices on feeding and so forth, but math and reality don't add up for me. I appriciate your effort, and the time you put into this....I am still really bummed on how things worked out for me anyway.

Bowbuild

I seriously think you should post your business plan and let us take a look (if I am not intruding) because unless your feed or start-up cost are that much more expensive. I cannot see how your not making it or breaking even, ($16 or $18) those are good prices. if i sell a meat rabbit at $10 i still make a $3 profit. I know how well iam doing based on our "rabbit fund" we did not count our start up cost or up until we had our first litter. after our first litter sold all cash went into a jar on the headboard any rabbit expenses come out of that jar, the rabbits have to feed themselves. right now I only have a couple of hundred but we have 6 flemish up for sale. and hopefully 3 litters by the end of this week. Its tough sometimes but manageable, i had to sell a whole litter for $10 a head (dressed, i did the work) just to make it one month.

AnnClaire":sllpj0jm said:
Amy":sllpj0jm said:

I agree Amy, but I still have to buy some chicken ... leg quarters and baking hens as rabbit just doesn't provide that crispy skin :cheesysmile:

And, my "profit" took a major hit today when I went to the feed store for a new square bale of hay ... almost $15!!!!! Ack, I will definitely be drying my lawn clippings next year for winter fodder!!! That also means I will need 5 or 6 black plastic trash bins and somewhere to store them ... <she wanders off rearranging the outside again>

....i raise my own chickens, too! And they replace theirselves just like the buns. Orpingtons are a nice all-purpose breed.

Jolly,

When it comes to "selling" rabbits for profit you must include your time, equipment, fuel so forth. I know a lot of people do not include their time and effort, that is not practical in my mind when you are selling. The buyer was almost doubling the price selling to restraunts, and doing little other than marketing, and gutting. I killed skinned them, transported them. So, to come up "breaking even" while someone else is making "twice" what I do without doing much but being a place to take them, is not im my mind worth the extra effort and believe me there was plenty of effort. I can later give you a rough picture of expensives (a given time frame) for you to look at. I have worked out $10 a bag is top prices to make a profit $9 would be better. In my mind you are either a "big" producer that can get large price breaks on feed, grow for yourself and friends. Keep in mind I run 2 other businesses, and I look at everything from a practical profit point.

Latest posts

Back