I don't think she's bred.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Well, it's Julie's 3rd try with breeding, and I'm almost positive she's not bred. She doesn't look fat or plump at all, and she's at day 33. She's got a nice nest full of pulled fur that she's had for about 2 weeks now, but I'm beginning to think this was a false pregnancy after all. I will wait the remaining days to see what happens, but I'm doubtful.

So if she didn't take, she's now had 2 missed pregnancies, and one litter with 3 dead, only one surviving. She was such a pain to get bred this last time too, even though she was dark red, and letting me know she was ready.

At this point, I guess I'm wondering if she's worth keeping in the breeding herd? I can easily replace her with a nice jr doe, or preferably a bred doe.

Three strikes and you're out is what most people figure... unless there are extenuating circumstances. If you're really attached to her, give her one more chance. If you're not, replace her. Just my opinion.

We're kind of assuming that the doe is at fault. Has the buck sired offspring with other does? Could he be sterile with the heat? Did you try her with a different buck? Just some more points to consider.

This was our other buck, and he's very good also. He bred two other does before her without problems, both produced nice litters. She's been bred to both our best bucks now, and in fact, we tried the other buck thinking it might be the combination of the buck we've been breeding her too, but no difference. We didn't do any breeding during our worst heat, we bred the girls we did after having a handful of more mild days in a row.

She's a sweetheart, but I'm not overly attached. I try not to be, for reasons such as this.

Question. After having heat for days in a row like we did, and then going back into more mild weather like we are having now, if a buck has been heat sterile, how long will it take for him to become not sterile?

Heat sterility is an individual thing... younger bucks come back sooner than older, generally. Some don't come back at all, some might take a week, some a month, some a couple of months.

Good question and I want to add to that. My buck was also outside in the heat but I had a mist system, fan and frozen water bottles. Would he still get sterile or would he be ok??

Again, it just depends on the individual buck. I don't think the water bottles will cool the body temp down enough themselves, but depending on the humidity level the mister might (I live in El Paso, my evap coolers aren't working real well right now, even in the house).

It sounds as though this doe has had plenty of opportunity to prove herself and that you have done all you can in terms of making sure she was not being blamed for a problem with the buck.

Thanks Maggie. I think so. We are really busy the next month, so I may just give her another shot, and try it one more time. We butchered last weekend, and won't have time to again, at least for a month now, so might as well. I'm looking for a replacement for Momma Doe, and will probably just find one to replace Julie at the same time. On a good note, I think I found my pedigreed Black NZ bred does I've been hoping to find! Have to drive a couple hours for them, but it will be worth it to add a little color to the barn. :lol:

Back