I don't know how many animals I have.. and a physical oddity

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Someone on facebook asked me today how many chickens I have. I was like... people count them? HA!

I have like 6 hens with chicks, I have feral chickens I feed running around. I'm thinking 50+ but it could be 100.

I know I have 7, well now 6 parrots (since Maya died). I have 3 dogs. Goats? Well that depends on what you count as "mine"! I have some that live here, some live part time at pregnancy camp at a friends and I have bucks I loan out.... So total 20? Onsite 11? I'm not 100% sure!

Do any of you have a rolling "tally" of how many animals you have? Am I weird that I don't know?

And for funs, we had 17 hatchings today!

5 ducklings, 12 chicks:

Henrietta with her chicks:

10455164_10202985242326735_4915032583285562121_n.jpg

Quackettes duckling:

10449973_10202985246846848_5727322258937410685_n.jpg

And for those of you who like oddities

10357451_10202985245806822_8733934156831336299_n.jpg

10501730_10202985243966776_1707849099615815118_n.jpg

Rabbit math is very logical and accurate compared to chicken math. :lol: I could count everything in my head but I usually don't. Last count I had a dozen chinchillas. I don't remember when that count was. Is Aisu #13? I need another baby proof cage. I may have bred too many for sept. Hedgehogs were quite low but Adisa popped out 7 pintos and is raising them with just a few hiccups. I lost track of the rabbits again. I rely on kintraks to tell me when to wean and then I count them as they go out the door. At least I can count to 2 to cover the dogs for now anyway. In a year or 2 I'd like to make it 3.

I used to know every chicken and rabbit, only to make sure nothing was eating them.
And for the how many thread, lol.

But now I have enough for all purposes, so I don't count anything. Safer that way.

I know we have two house cats and eight dogs... although the dog count is up for debate. The other day I was talking about possibly taking in another Aussie, and Hubs said "But I don't want seven dogs."
Obviously, he is also an "A" student in MSD's Math 101 course. ;)

When I pointed out that we already had eight, he said that Nematode (my scruffy street dog) and Atlas (Queenpup's Papillon) don't count as dogs. :lol: Dangerous words to say to me indeed! :twisted:

We also have seven puppies on site. Two are being held with deposits, one of which will be going home Sunday. I have two "puppy people" coming this Saturday, one of which wants two pups and the other wants one. So we will have two pups left to find homes for.

We also have two fish, a leopard gecko, and four horses.

All of those are pretty easy to keep track of- it just gets confusing when we move into the barn cats and livestock. Their numbers are constantly fluctuating, so it is pretty pointless to have a headcount.

We usually have 15-20 barn cats, but have suffered grievous losses recently. Something has been eating them or else they have been abducted by aliens. :beammeup: We are down to one adult (a really homely tortoiseshell that isn't even friendly :angry: ) a teenaged boy and four kittens. :(

We have four adult ducks and, um... maybe 12 or 14 ducklings? Most of the ducklings will be eaten, but I plan to keep a couple as egg layers. Queenpup has her four Silkies, and we have a few hens and a rooster and seven chicks. The Silkies will soon go broody, so that count will go up.

As for the rabbits- I will be doing a head count in the next couple of days once I have finished building some more cages and revamping the growout area. The new cages are small ones that will be used for raising up show prospects.

But if I had to hazard a guess... 24 adults in the bunnybarn. Another couple dozen youngsters still with the does. About 32 rabbits in single cages in the growout area, and maybe another 18 or so in mixed pens. So 98 or a hundred at least. Twenty one recently went to my cull buyer, and we butchered seven others. I have two (or is it three?) does due to kindle in a couple of weeks.

Oh! One of my copper Satin does is at my friend's and has a litter. Plus Queenpup is also going to start showing Satins in Youth so she will be getting a few from my friend as well. We also have a few mini Rex off site. And one of our mini Rex does in the growout area has three kits that are just a couple of weeks old.

So, um, yeah. :roll: Kind of hard to keep track of. :lol:

To people who just have pets it would no doubt sound irresponsible in the extreme to not even have a solid count of animals. But with livestock and the cycles of breeding and butchering the numbers never remain static. As long as everyone is fed and watered and monitored for any illness or injuries, the numbers are a moot point.

I have 2 adult rabbits, no wait 3 counting my pet one in the chicken pen, 1 teenage doe and 4 in the nestbox. My whole family together (counting the filly and ponies) has 9 horses :shock: :!: ! We have 12 dogs (I think). And somewhere around 14-15 chickens.

Right now, my count is pretty easy. Four dogs, 2 cats, 4 rabbits, and 12 chickens. All but one hen are permanent fixtures here. The rabbit number will be increasing in a few months (I can hardly wait). If any of the other numbers go up...I might be a single lady :p

Well, I was pretty close with my guesstimate on rabbits.

MamaSheepdog":adrw221n said:
24 adults in the bunnybarn.

Actually 23 adults and one young show prospect.

Another couple dozen youngsters still with the does.

39. So 3-1/4 dozen. :roll: A bit off there! :p

About 32 rabbits in single cages in the growout area, and maybe another 18 or so in mixed pens.

52 plus the three MR kits.

Total rabbits of all ages on site: 118

I have two (or is it three?) does due to kindle in a couple of weeks.

Three does due for nests on the 15th. Two more on the 23rd.

Let's see....
2 weather loaches, 3 dogs, hubs 2 house rabbits, 7 (soon to be 5) senior does with litters, 1 junior doe, 7 (still!) freezer campers, and 4 (that many! :shock: ) bucks. And I'm waiting for a tri buck to start my tri herd, I could've had a harle buck already but my bucks are pretty much my regular show string so I'm 'trying' to have all showable varieties in the buck barn. We'll see how long that lasts :roll:

there are many french breeds of chickens that have 5 toes. we have two houdan chicks that have 5 toes. their feet look so weird.

I have lots of silkies that have extra toes but not like this. This is coming from pretty high up on the leg in the front! So creepy looking. lol

I "could" know how many animals I have since they are all on site and only mine (nothing feral running around that I would count), but I don't know off the top of my head. I would have to do the math.

Chickens: older ones 6 hens/1 rooster/one mama hen with 1 chick in the back yard = 9
new ones 16 pullets/1 rooster =17

so 26 chickens (for now)

Rabbits are a little harder
5 + 4 + 3 (going to freezer camp this week) = 12 ?(might keep 2)
mom + 6
Mom + 4
2 bucks
6 youngsters
mom + 7 youngsters
3 jr does
1 unproven doe (may go to freezer camp)
1 neutered yard rabbit that belonged to a friend
1 black doe I keep for the kids
(I think that's it) so 12+10 = 22 + 8 = 30 + 10 = 40 + 3 = 43....until processing time, lol.

Goats are easy 1 buck, 3 nannies, 1 kid so 5.

2 dogs

1 new kitten I rescued from a busy hwy

I think that's it, so chickens and rabbits: 26 + 43 = 69
goats/dogs/cats: 5 + 2 + 1 = 8

69 + 8 = 77 animals total.

Wow, that sounds like a lot but doesn't really feel like that that much. I have never really did the math to total them all up.

MamaSheepdog":14ltx5xd said:
I know we have two house cats and eight dogs... although the dog count is up for debate.

As for the rabbits- I will be doing a head count in the next couple of days once I have finished building some more cages and revamping the growout area. The new cages are small ones that will be used for raising up show prospects.

So, um, yeah. :roll: Kind of hard to keep track of. :lol:

To people who just have pets it would no doubt sound irresponsible in the extreme to not even have a solid count of animals. But with livestock and the cycles of breeding and butchering the numbers never remain static. As long as everyone is fed and watered and monitored for any illness or injuries, the numbers are a moot point.

So true. I count three dogs and the rescue Shih Tzu doesn't count. I don't count puppies until they are registered in my name. I don't count the cat, he won't hunt so he's destined to go.

Rabbits--well besides the Angoras, the rest must show/breed or go. And I am constantly turning over the stock to advance the program and get new show prospects so no bun is safe. I have a general idea about how many adults, but I never count kits under 4 mos. And once the feed bill goes over a certain amount, numbers go down again.

Let's see... at this very moment:

2 dogs- one Goldendoodle, one black lab runty mix :)
1 cat
3 rats
1 turtle
1 aquatic frog
1 house bunny- A very large Flemish Giant :)
3 cavy- 2 teddies and 1 OLD American
5 adult rabbits
9 6 week old rabbits

Grand total of 26!

And I have a deposit down on a tri Rex buck coming in 2 weeks or so and the hubster is bugging for a bird :roll:

Now this may seem like a low number compared to all you master farmers ;) but I'm in a trailer!!!! LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wait until I get my own dirt under my feet!!! :twisted:

Pretty simple for me.

Charlie, sadly, passed on a month ago, so now we have 1 rabbit. He's pretty much a pet at this point. She had 3 births, total, but they all resulted in dead kits. She got sick with something and it was the cause of her demise ):

5 chickens, 1 turkey, 10 ducks, 1 goose, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 8 pigeons I think??

I've been on vacation.. There were.... Uh, 7 when I left. 2 have raised one since, and those 2 plus another 2 are on eggs again. So 8 with an expecting 4

Latest posts

Back