I did it. Questions!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
So, I finally did it! :p
Not bad at all.

I did my 4 runts for dog food, to practice.
And then 9 more fryers for more practice... :lol:

So here is what I need to know.

1) I did a cervical dislocation, broomstick style (I have a bad right elbow/ wrist so getting enough strength was an issue). Then I hung them, and bled them.
I found my knife liked to cut best just under the chin to sever the arteries, and this made popping the head free easier when I pulled down the skin.
BUT the necks were all a real mess... bloody... and although I went to work quickly, I think maybe clots formed? By the time I worked my way down to the lungs/heart the cervical spine was engorged, purple and messy.
I ended up using my pruners to cut off about an inch of neck, and then still seemed to have a lot of clean up, with clots around the shoulders.
It seems like when I severed the arteries, the blood from the tail end drained down, but maybe not out?
Or is it trauma from my dislocation method??

2) Do you slit the ribcage open or leave it? Matter of taste?

3) I had a lot of trouble pulling the skin off the shoulders and down the front legs... maybe my weakness in my dominant hand? I had to use the knife to free the skin all around the neck/shoulders and it seemed messy.

4) do you trim any of the belly skin?

5) I didn't keep the organs this time, but should I be trimming out the fat around the kidneys/ against the ribs or leaving it? Back of the necK?

(as you can see, I had trouble on the front half :lol: :lol: )
I have only seen a few rabbits already processed and their necks were so clean!

I only weighed the 9 fryers before and after, but came out with a very surprising 58% dress out!

Different people are going to give you different answers, Lori. :)

1. I suspect that the broomstick caused bruising and that is why you found the necks so dark.

2. I found if I took scissors and cut the ribcage on both sides of the sternum that this eliminated a lot of annoying small bones in the pot. It also makes it easy to get out the lungs, windpipe etc.

3. I always had trouble with skinning the front quarters too. Like you I don't have full strength in my hands and arms. Generally, I let Brian do the skinning and I took over after that.

4. By "belly skin" do you mean the thin layer of meat enclosing the body cavity? This ideal to remove and use for jerky. Or it can be added to the soup pot or cut across the grain very thinly and used for stir fry. It's tough, but flavourful.

5. You'll hear mixed reviews about rabbit fat. Some people like it; others hate it. My naturally-fed fryers had very little, usually just a bit around the kidneys. I saved it to use when cooking the livers, kidneys and hearts. Even if you don't normally like liver, give rabbit organs a chance. They are delicious. Just slice and saute in butter and the bit of fat from the kidneys, season with salt and pepper and enjoy. :dinner:

Your dress-out ratio was very good. :congratulations:

1. We've always used a pellet rifle, and we always have neck bruising, no matter how fast we get the head off and the blood out. I don't have an answer. :(

2. We cut the ribcage open. It makes it easier to get everything clean.

3. Yep, front quarters are difficult for both my daughter Galadriel and for me.

4. We've started cutting the belly flaps off. We made jerky with it once, and the kids loved it. I found it greasy and difficult to chew -- more difficult than your average jerky. I've been freezing it and will eventually grind it and make extruded jerky. I understand the fat in it is better distributed that way, it takes seasoning better, and it's easier to chew.

5. We remove most of the fat. It does start going rancid very quickly. I don't try to get it all off, though, and it doesn't ruin anything. I don't eat it, though. You must give the organs a try. Rabbit liver is truly the liver-hater's liver. :)

Congratulations on your amazing dress-out ratio! :)

1. Pellet gun. Necks are still gory.
2. I leave the ribs. I cut myself really good on cut chicken ribs before so I don't mess with it. I just snip the lungs and heart free with scissors. In fact I use butchering shears for the whole process.
3. No trouble with front quarters. I hang the rabbit by the back feet. Loosen skin from back legs and partway down thighs. Get a good grip on the skin then I just lean back. I use my weight if I need to and off goes the skin lickety split. I also have poor hand grip strength.
4. I trim belly flaps when I think of it. Dog gets it in any case, even if I leave it on and cook it that way :)
5. I trim all the fat, freeze it, then render and use for soap once I have enough.

P.S. I agree, rabbit liver is delicious! And good sized too!

I bop to dispatch and don't have a problem with bloody necks. Actually, If I have to slit the throat, then there is some blood around it. I've learned how to bop so that they bleed out through the mouth and nose. It keeps the hide and neck meat free of blood!

I split the ribs down the sternum...point of the knife down into the cavity, out the neck....draw towards you and through the sternum. That way it is easy to clean out the chest cavity.

I've never been able to pull the hide over the front quarters. I get it down to the front elbows, and can't pull any further. Part of my problem is that I wimp out, thinking I'm going to tear the rabbit in half. :x :roll: I feel it stretch, and joints start to pop, so I just use a knife to cut membranes and get the skin off the shoulders and neck. :shrug:

I recently saved all the belly flaps and made jerky....my husband now is insisting that that is all we do with belly flaps!! :p

I haven't done anything with the rabbit fat yet...but I think I might save it to use for soap now.... :cool:

I save all the organs. The kidneys and liver are mild and good! The hearts are just muscle, so they don't taste like organs.

Back