I brought home Chickies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zass":1fy3bwx3 said:
It's probably the 30 feet away part that's the killer. Lots of city or even town properties don't have that.

to have it 30 feet from both property and street lines surrounding it needs to be in the middle of the yard..how annoying would that be? A chicken coop in the middle of the yard where the dogs would bother them. I want them behind the garage but the ordinance won't allow it.

I don't know if these will help identify them.

The bigger black & yellow chick:
2vc8cb8.jpg

2d0lz61.jpg

xg3o7.jpg

Smaller black & yellow chick (it's got little dwarfie wings):
25fpsw9.jpg

339t84i.jpg

2i9jej4.jpg

2dieels.jpg

Yellow Chickies (identical):
20j5n2e.jpg

30ma9n7.jpg

Marinea":1mn5s9c0 said:
It is VERY difficult to tell what breed a young chick is.

Not necessarily. If you go to BYC they have a lot of pictures. That's how I was able to make my guess, due to the fact SLW, BR, and Sex-Links are common egg layers (those are a few of the predominant breeds that you get at a Tractor or Farm Supply). I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, but due to the factors I am seeing with chicks I would stand by my original guess.

Marinea":1mn5s9c0 said:
I have chicks hatching as I type this- the parents are a mix of purebred lavender and buff orpingtons.

I love lavender orps! So big, fluffy, and pretty. :chicken2:

HoppinHalfPints":25enyw4q said:
Marinea":25enyw4q said:
It is VERY difficult to tell what breed a young chick is.

Not necessarily. If you go to BYC they have a lot of pictures. That's how I was able to make my guess, due to the fact SLW, BR, and Sex-Links are common egg layers (those are a few of the predominant breeds that you get at a Tractor or Farm Supply). I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, but due to the factors I am seeing with chicks I would stand by my original guess.

Marinea":25enyw4q said:
I have chicks hatching as I type this- the parents are a mix of purebred lavender and buff orpingtons.

I love lavender orps! So big, fluffy, and pretty. :chicken2:

I suppose I could have asked the guy I bought them from, but we didn't have much intention of keeping them but I fell for the little gimpy winged one cause I fall for the gimpy and not so bright animals :roll: every time!

1495spc.jpg

^the one I call little gimp wings, they may not be gimpy at all though i think it's just younger than the others.
It looks silly though

Barred Rock looks right. SLW are cooler looking though I think :lol:

HHP, my SLW did not look like the chicks in that picture. I ordered BR, SLW, and GLW from a hatchery 2 years ago, the only difference between them was the barred rock had a spot on their head, and the wyandottes did not.

JessicaR":2m3gp0qr said:
HHP, my SLW did not look like the chicks in that picture. I ordered BR, SLW, and GLW from a hatchery 2 years ago, the only difference between them was the barred rock had a spot on their head, and the wyandottes did not.

Interesting. :hmm:

My guess would be that since they were from a hatchery, and hatcheries are like the pet stores of the chicken world. :lol:

HHP, that's probably it. They grew up to be very pretty though, and are great layers so I am happy. I would love to have some lavender orps! They are so pretty!

Back