I bought a Porker!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pink boy and the black girl I am keeping for breeding. Only the screaming black boy pig I'm growing for the roast.

The black ones are cute! I plan on getting a pot belly as a pet when i move and if that does work out i have no problem with making it into bacon. Lol

piiiggg.jpg

MamaSheepdog":a93q8keg said:
which of the blacks is the sow?
ChickiesnBunnies":a93q8keg said:
White front feet, white snout and white star on forehead.

I thought so! :p She has a more feminine head.

ChickiesnBunnies":a93q8keg said:
The pink boy and the black girl I am keeping for breeding.

Good plan! I did a bit of research on small breed pigs because the big ones seem so dangerous. The general consensus is that even a small pig can bowl you over, and you should select for temperament. If you ever get a large sow, most people send them to FC at about three so they don't have to feed a huge animal.

Good luck with the piggy project! You have inspired me to watch CL for possible pigs for my own program. :)

Piggy! We just had a pig roast a few days ago. Delicious. In a family of cubans, pig roasting is our specialty. There were regular american people there that hadn't seen food roasted with a face before and gave us the most horrific look when all the hispanics leaped to pull the nice crispy skin from the back. It gave me a laugh. We do coax a good amount of people to try and they end up loving it. I actually pulled my mom aside and pointed out that people were more willing to eat it since we special ordered it from the grocery store, had we done the job ourselves, it would of been a whole lot different! I'd like to supply one of our pig roast one day with a home grown pig. I look forward to it ;)<br /><br />__________ Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm __________<br /><br />So cute!

Peach":2yxpp9yg said:
Piggy! We just had a pig roast a few days ago. Delicious. In a family of cubans, pig roasting is our specialty. There were regular american people there that hadn't seen food roasted with a face before and gave us the most horrific look when all the hispanics leaped to pull the nice crispy skin from the back. It gave me a laugh. We do coax a good amount of people to try and they end up loving it. I actually pulled my mom aside and pointed out that people were more willing to eat it since we special ordered it from the grocery store, had we done the job ourselves, it would of been a whole lot different! I'd like to supply one of our pig roast one day with a home grown pig. I look forward to it ;)

__________ Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm __________

So cute!

Lol I hear ya. The wife and I were both "regular america. People" 2 years ago. The the price of meat started going up. We got a few chickens we raised for eggs then about 6 months later we got some to raise for meat. Then about 4 months ago we were turned on to rabbits for meat. Now last weekend we moved back down a few states to help her parents and are living with them. You better believe I brought my rabbits. Her dad was a hunter at a younger age but never a farmer. Her mom was raised to eat only what came from a store. She was suprized when we drove 342 miles with a homemade utility trailer from a old boat trailer stacked with rabbit cages and my garden in 5 gallon buckets stacked on it. Lol she will get use to it. Her dad is all for it but he does the grocery shopping around here. Lol

How much meat do you get off of them, and where do you take yours to get it processed?

Here in the boonies, most small towns have a butcher yet. They do custom processing as well as counter service, I'd guess that about 75% of their business is custom cut and wrap.
The last pig I helped butcher yielded probably 200lbs of meat maybe a bit less. Off the top of my head I seem to remember they dress out at around 2/3 their live weight but don't quote me cause it's been decades since I dealt with pigs.

Good luck with the piggies. Live in suburbs of a "Nanny State", that's why my rabbits are inside. Would love to be self sufficient and raise goats and chickens, as well as meat rabbits. But in "New Jokesey" it has to be designated rural. Can not be residential.

Karen

ChickiesnBunnies":1gdsjsje said:
I have no idea who is talking to who...so...who's that towards, Sky?

Chickies--just curious about how much meat someone gets off of a pig, kind of what's the dress out weight percentage?

Back