I bought a Porker!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Yup, went out and bought our farm a pig...pot belly pig to be exact. He's supposed to be a trial roaster pig, but who knows how well that will work out. Trying to get another male and a female this week so we can keep this guy and grow the other for dinner instead.
This guy is real calm, carried him and he didn't really care. =D
Anyway, calling him Porker. He's 3mo old.

a17.jpg

a11.jpg

a110.jpg

a111.jpg

a112.jpg

a18.jpg

a1-1.jpg

My sheep herding instructor gets a pig every year to grow out for meat. Those things sure do get big. Too much animal for me.

He's a pot belly pig, won't get more than 90-150 pounds. He's like...10# now?

ChickiesnBunnies":3324jftn said:
He's a pot belly pig, won't get more than 90-150 pounds. He's like...10# now?

That is still bigger than any animal I own or have ever owned. Gsd's here get 80Lbs max. I've had to pick one of those guys up before, ugh. I told myself I will not have anything that I couldn't safely pick up by myself. Another reason why I raise rabbits, it would be pretty hard to handle some of the large livestock by ones self.

Well, fiance doesn't want pigs 'just yet', so this one is gonna live in stealth mode and most likely eaten once he's fat enough....Or should I get the other two and pretend I got all three before he changed his mind??

ChickiesnBunnies":22x9p7k7 said:
Well, fiance doesn't want pigs 'just yet', so this one is gonna live in stealth mode and most likely eaten once he's fat enough....Or should I get the other two and pretend I got all three before he changed his mind??

Well if a pig roast is the plan I'd just get them, and smile a lot.

ChickiesnBunnies":2qncanlr said:

Haha that is sneaky! It will work though...

I would get them. I just picked up a little Potbelly pig too. I got it for my husband and he loves it. I told him we need a girl now so that they can make dinner just like the bunnies do..... He wasnt sure it would be ok to eat them but I figure "Why not?" it is a pig after all. :mrgreen:

Yup, sneaky for sure. Going out to meet her after my fiance leaves for work....

scottdigital":20ollbod said:
I would get them. I just picked up a little Potbelly pig too. I got it for my husband and he loves it. I told him we need a girl now so that they can make dinner just like the bunnies do..... He wasnt sure it would be ok to eat them but I figure "Why not?" it is a pig after all. :mrgreen:

They're livestock in Vietnam, not pets like here in NA. I think they're the perfect size for a small family with a small freezer. I may look into getting one for me and hubby.

In the first pic, center pig. White front feet, white snout and white star on forehead.

The boy squealed like all heck was blowing up...wow...my ears hurt on the way home after that. Definitely not a pig to be picked up....Girl was calm when picked up. Had to drag the crate around so the boy wouldn't make my ears bleed while putting them into their pen and not waking up the fiance.

Latest posts

Back