I bought a new rabbit today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKirst

Reaction score
One of the ladies at the racetrack has a son who breeds rabbits. He's only 6 years and breeds rabbits to take to auctions.

He had dutch, rex and some other kind. He doesn't know too much just breeds rabbits. He and his mom were taking a litter to the sale so I got one (female) of the some other kind before he left.

Is this a charlie rabbit ? I remember Disney mentioned a charlie would be good for my breeding goal for brokens. I named this bunny Jean Doe. She has tan colored ears (black tips) and a few tiny tan spots down her back and some around her eyes and one or two on each side if you look close. The other rabbits in this litter were black spots and very pronounced .. not like her spots where you can barely see them. She was the only female and the only rabbit with tan color. (if I sexed her correctly ha ha) Where the tan came from is beyond me neither parents had tan color. There was 8 in the litter. This was the only litter of rabbits he had when I was there.

Can someone tell me what breed (mix?) or color she is ? Thanks.

IMG_20120906_153031.jpg

IMG_20120906_153053.jpg

How precious!

I don't have any idea of her breed, but she is charlie marked. If both the parents were broken, she could be a genetic charlie, but you wont know until you breed her to a solid colored rabbit. If she has all brokens, no solids, she is a charlie. If one of her parents was a solid colored rabbit, she is not genetically a charlie, and will have mixed litters.

Neither parent was solid color and neither parent was white. Unless the boy didn't know who the dad was.. can you get a white rabbits with spots when neither parent is white or has spots ? I dunno how it all works just yet. All the other rabbits in this litter were white with black spots, those black spots were dark around the eyes and dark from the shoulders to the tail along the spine. Some didn't even have color on the ears. Jean you can barely see hers and she was the only tan markings.

I didn't even see a broken rabbit in the whole place.

Here are pictures of her barely there tan spots. lol

IMG_20120906_180510.jpg

IMG_20120906_180620.jpg

MKirst":a0egdygv said:
Neither parent was solid color and neither parent was white. Unless the boy didn't know who the dad was.. can you get a white rabbits with spots when neither parent is white or has spots ? I dunno how it all works just yet. All the other rabbits in this litter were white with black spots, those black spots were dark around the eyes and dark from the shoulders to the tail along the spine. Some didn't even have color on the ears. Jean you can barely see hers and she was the only tan markings.

If a rabbit is not broken,(a solid color with patches of white), it will not produce broken kits. Only one parents needs to be broken. so one had to be broken, or whoever you saw was not the parent.

Ya that's what I thought too. I'll ask more questions when I see the mom. The parents the boy showed me neither was white. They were mixed dark colors and no spots. But then again, the barn was so dark maybe I missed the white somewhere on one of the parents. Although I don't see how I could miss white. lol

Ya I'm thinking that too, because I don't see how he knew who the father was if all the rabbits live together in 12' by 12' horse stall converted to a rabbit pen. I dunno, but I think she is darling.

Today I got all the rabbits out on the table to get some pictures. I managed to get Jane out of her hutch and on the table too. YAY !! She wan't as bad as I thought she would be once I made up my mind to just open her hutch door and instantly grab her. She put up no fuss after outta her hutch.

I put the table next to Janes hutch and Jack was scared senseless .. he doesn't like Jane because his hutch is next to hers and I guess her grunting all the time freaks him out. So Jack was the scared one on the table. I got Jill, John, Jack and Jean on the table together and Jane had to be by herself. Because when I did put her on the table with the others she grunted the whole time biting at everyone. She still hasn't made a nest or even looks like she's prego but I'll wait another day like suggested above.

Jill isn't dwarf because she is getting bigger than Jack all of a sudden and Jean is so little compared to them all, she must be a wee baby still. Soo exciting, I love my rabbits. Although I do think I'm gonna part with Jane after I know she's not prego, next weekend I have an appointment with a mini-rex breeder who said a friend of hers is looking for a big house rabbit and she would give me a deal on a broken tort doe that's bred to a harlequin if I give Jane to her for free. I think I'll do that ... Jane might do well being an only rabbit in a house setting maybe.

Here are pictures of Jane. Does she look prego ?

IMG_20120909_092515-1.jpg

IMG_20120909_092503-1.jpg

Jill. What do you think a Black Tort or Cinnamon ? By the looks of it I think she will be Johns size in the near future.

IMG_20120909_092135-1.jpg

IMG_20120909_090837-1.jpg

Jack.

IMG_20120909_092046-1.jpg

Here they are together with Jean. Jean is so little.

IMG_20120909_091441-1.jpg

IMG_20120909_091850-1.jpg

IMG_20120909_091741-1.jpg

IMG_20120909_091459-1.jpg

IMG_20120909_091357-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back