I AM SO UPSET.. I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I SEEN (GRAPHIC)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cant believe this .... all rabbits are coming in at night.. I had it with the does.. This one doe is getting culled in few hours once I get warmed up a bit.. I am so upset I have to vent sorry..
This one doe that I have a thread on about I witness her eating a live baby at 4 days old , ,, this same doe had all her kits out of the box and it is -25 in Canada.. which is really cold... and she was eating one... it was still warm and floppy when I picked it up.. How on earth can a doe do this after this long to her babies.. she ate all the feet off of it.. I am taking the rest of the babies.. now what do I do.. they are only 2 weeks old today.. I started them on oatmeal and shaft.but they still need some milk.. there is 6 left but I have to count. .. I have another doe that has same age of babies with only 5 left.. but she pees in her box... and the other doe .. ,my best one.. she has 9 babies.. I cant put any in there... MY GOD.... I am so upset.. Sorry had to really get this off my chest.. I just want to get rid of all my rabbits and cry.
eg7onb.jpg

If the one with 9 is a good mother, take her 9. Give her those in the morning to feed, then take them back in the house. Give her the fosters in the evening to feed. The kits will do fine fed once a day, and the good doe can feed them all.

As for that kit eater, Yes, she needs culled. I'd do the same if she were mine.

looks like she "struck out" - I am sad for you, -- this kind of thing really upsets me also,-- does anyone remember the milk replacement formula, thet had an egg yoke, light karo syrup, and condensed milk?? -- it was a "sure fire" milk replacement formula for almost every small animal.
[I think it was ,--1 4oz can condensed milk, 1 tbl spoon light [the clear kind]karo syrup, one egg yoke.[some people add baby liquid vitamins, to the mix]

thanks blue mood. I didn't think of that.. I will do that thanks.. When I get upset like this I cant think straight.. I am going out now to do the deed.. :( <br /><br /> -- Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 am -- <br /><br /> the deed is done.. Now I have 6 babies to look after or switch back and forth and hope it works

I'm so sorry, Mary Ann! How utterly frustrating for you :( I think you're absolutely right to cull her; once you get to the 2 week mark, you should be able to relax a bit and trust the doe to continue to do her job.

So sorry to see that happen. I had rats, once, in the rabbitry that did that to a litter of kits, they pulled their legs through the bottom and chewed them off- it was just awful to see. Was this kit the same one who was chilled?

no,, this a different doe (litter) altogether.. the chill one is in with the good mom with the 9 babies. and doing really good.
Yes , you should be able to relax when they reach the 2 week mark.. but in this case. I often wonder what goes through there heads.. geesh good mothers are hard to come by .

i had a doe like that once.... she fed a dog.

You might be able to bring the kits to the "to be culled doe" for feedings only. That way you can watch her as she feeds them and then immediately remove them.

They are two weeks old? Get them started on feed and once they are 17 days old they can survive without milk... I saved a litter of 10 whose mother died unexpectedly at 17 days old so it can and often does work out. be prepared to give probiotics if necessary and if you have a healthy quiet older kit (say around 5-7 weeks old) put it in with them for warmth and comfort. They can also teach the wees ones things they need to learn.

I cant do that.. I culled her already.. when she ate one a t4 days old and didn't touch one until now.. I was going to wait until the babies were weaned then culled her.. then she did this today.. It didn't take me long to cull her.. I was so upset that I just did it.

Glad you were able to save the rest of the kits from this doe. SO SORRY you came to find this! Those poor babies!
Thank Goodness for your Good doe with the 9 kits! Sounds like she is your foundation doe for a GREAT line of rabbits - GREAT mothers, GREAT fur. Hang in there!!

I'd be upset too, Mary Ann. There is something particularly horrible about any mother of any species that harms its babies. It just goes against everything we feel about mothering.

I agree with Duman'sArk that your good doe should be able to raise good young does for you - young does with all the right instincts.

Here is the link to the formula feeding thread. Hope you find it helpful.
formula-feeding-baby-bunnies-pics-vids-t3691.html

Sorry that happened, that sucks. I've had good luck raising kits with plain goat's milk.

I am so sorry, Mary Ann! I can't believe she did that either, but I have heard of it happening before. :(

I wonder if it is purely behavioral or if the does may need more protein? It might be a good idea to cut some of their supplements and offer mostly a high protein pellet while they are nursing.

2 week olds can survive without milk but you can soak pellets or oatmeal in any animal formula or goat milk. Preferably not store bought cow milk. Otherwise just soften foods with water and provide grass hay. Most of mine are eating the hay in the box before they even open their eyes and I've raised several 2-3 week old litters on just softened pellets, oatmeal, and hay.

The mothers are getting high protein.. I order there food in for them 17 percent and they get all they want when they are feeding babies,, they are not skinning as I always checking their weight when I groom them... they get grass hay and boss and flax seed. oatmeal, Horse feed , apples and bread and carrots.. there is no need for her to do this. .. they are feed well,
I took out the box from the good doe and switch with the other box.. I gave some oatmeal and shaft from the hay in the box and I can see them starting to eat it.. I have always done this at this age to get them started so they don't come out of the box looking for it.
thanks for the link for the formula... I am hoping I don't need it.

-- Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:24 pm --

And one more thing.. I am keeping all the 9 babies from the good mom.. :D something to look foreword to.

Definitely glad I haven't had this happen to us and very sorry that it happened to you :( I'd definitely cull that one. Then cull it again after I was done!

I wonder if it is purely behavioral or if the does may need more protein? It might be a good idea to cut some of their supplements and offer mostly a high protein pellet while they are nursing.

I have thought the same thing, and fed dry cat food as a supplement to some does who had these problems-[they loved the cat food]- but-- it did not help.

Back