hydrogen peroxide

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
I've heard of some Amish breeders diluting Hydrogen Peroxide in their water systems. Just curious as to what are the benefits for the rabbits? and to what percentage it is mixed?

Grumpy.

It is added to increase oxygen to the cells of the body to better fend off disease- most viruses and bacteria cannot survive in an oxygen rich environment. It is important to only use food grade hp, and it also differs from the hp available in grocery stores etc. which is commonly sold as a 3% solution, and food grade is sold as 35% and must be diluted for use. If you google food-grade hydrogen peroxide, lots of results will appear. Here is a link to one company I have dealt with before when I purchased Diatomaceous Earth: wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/food_grade_h202.html

I've used it for killing BBA, a type of algae in aquariums. The issue I have with it is that it needs to be used and stored in total darkness and once mixed, it dilutes and become infective very quickly. Basically, I had to dose my tanks at night, every night, because the next day it was gone out of the water. All filters and aerators also had to be removed. I don't see how it would really help any in drinking water unless given directly.

There's a variety of supposed health benefits to drinking hydrogen peroxide. Many people drink it and you can go look up all the claims on google if you want to. Some are probably true, some are probably not. I wouldn't know which ones.

2 cautions. Do not use the kind you buy for wounds. It has things added to keep the h202 bound and the exp date longer. They are bad to ingest and possibly even toxic at high enough amounts. You need food grade h2o2. Also start small. If you suddenly ingest the highest recommended amount you will promptly vomit. It's actually very useful for getting people and animals who can vomit to do so when they ingest something bad. Since rabbits can't vomit I have no idea what would happen but I would still build the amount up slowly and small.

We give hydrogen peroxide (3%) to the dog when she eats chocolate to make her vomit. Oxygen is delivered through the respiratory system and oxygen saturation is controlled that way, so unless the lungs/heart are compromised then extra oxygen is just a waste.
Oh one can rinse their mouth with it and spit it out plus use it to disinfect wounds, but that's about it. Here (Canada) there is 3% for wounds and the 6% or whatever it is that would be used to bleach one's hair.

You could but it would serve no purpose on unbroken skin and if kept on there eventually bleach it and/or the fur white causing some mild damage at the same time.

Peroxide destroys cells- at most you might use it once to kill bacteria, but repeated applications do more harm than good. Betadine is a better choice. Even soap and water would be better, in my opinion. Kind of sad- I always enjoyed watching it foam up in wounds! :lol:

MamaSheepdog's right... peroxide destroys or damages the cells that would have begun the healing. Irrigating with straight water, washing with soap and water, or, if necessary, painting with betadine are all much better.

Alcohol does almost as much damage to cells as peroxide. Odd, that peroxide doesn't hurt as much, but is more destructive.

I liked the foam, too! :lol: Oh, well.

Peroxide is best for rinsing out a dirty wound and bubbling all the junk out. Like when I crashed my bike on gravel and imbedded the stuff from my wrist to elbow. Lots of peroxide. It can also be useful for a one time rinse in a deep narrow wound like a puncture. After that and in other cases it is best to use betadine, normally diluted to the color of weak tea, or chlorhexadine to rinse wounds regularly until healed and either bandage with gauze soaked in one of those or an antibiotic cream if bandaging is possible/necessary.

I'm told it's also good for sterilizing surfaces and equipment but bleach or vinegar will do the same job and can be bought in larger amounts easier.

Latest posts

Back