Humane Way(s) to Butcher Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blossomacres

Reaction score
I have been raising meat rabbits for a few years and sad to say, have never eaten one of my own. I have been very uncomfortable with the thought of killing my meat rabbit culls as I am afraid that I am not going to do it right and they will suffer through the process. Does anyone have a technique that will instantly kill them so that I can immediately dress them out afterwards? Can you tell me the process or link me a youtube video so I know the proper way to do it? It would be a lot more practical if I could dress out my own culls instead of driving off to a far away place and sending them to butcher and then having to pick them up again. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Blossomacres":19cgmrso said:
Does anyone have a technique that will instantly kill them so that I can immediately dress them out afterwards?

I put them on a piece of a large beam and pet them for a moment, and then whack them on the forehead with a piece of box steel. You have to strike hard, but death is instant. You then quickly slit the throat to bleed them out.

Whatever method you use, as long as there is no response when you touch the eyeball, they are dead, even if they are still kicking.

RJSchaefer":19cgmrso said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYv3I9cCgo

I followed her technique exactly. Do it without hesitation, and you are assured they're gone in under 5 seconds.

RJ, when I click on the "confirm your age" tab, it opens to my Wildblue login. :?

Broomstick, shot to the head or a very hard hit to the head. Just search Youtube and you'll find tons of videos.

Most people choose one of the following:
1. "Bopping" - as MamaSheepdog does.
2. "Broomsticking" - a method of cervical dislocation
3. Rabbit Wringer - a device you can buy online to achieve cervical dislocation.
4. Pellet gun or .22 calibre rifle.

Properly done, all are humane and fast. It is only natural to feel hesitant at the idea, but we all got through that first time... and so can you.

I broomstick mine. I don't use scissors anymore because they cut the fur too much and sent hair everywhere...not to mention I broke them. :oops:
There's a video on youtube where someone uses a slipknot? to do cervical dislocation. I'm tempted to but not eager to try it; I've never seen anyone else do it this way, so not certain how well it works. http://youtu.be/Crc9NpGT60k?t=3m

Thank you everyone for your help! This was all vvery helpful for me. I watched the video of the broomstick method and it looks like it would be perfectly doable for me. And the rabbit looks like it died instantly, which is obviously what I was looking for. Now I feel a little more confident to try this! Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I appreciate it.

My husband made a wringer that we mounted on the wall in the barn. I like it more than any other method we have done, it's easy to use, and I can easily process a rabbit on my own with this method.

Best of luck.

Whatever method you choose, you will become better at it as time goes on.
I've done it for so many years that the thought of dispatching doesn't enter my mind. It's a necessary means to an end. Just do it well.

grumpy.

Nyctra":3g9lsnxa said:
I broomstick mine. I don't use scissors anymore because they cut the fur too much and sent hair everywhere...not to mention I broke them. :oops:
There's a video on youtube where someone uses a slipknot? to do cervical dislocation. I'm tempted to but not eager to try it; I've never seen anyone else do it this way, so not certain how well it works. http://youtu.be/Crc9NpGT60k?t=3m
Hey,, I really like this one.. I will have to try it when I have one that I have to do. thanks Nyctra

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":7e2rtbef said:
Nyctra":7e2rtbef said:
Hey,, I really like this one.. I will have to try it when I have one that I have to do. thanks Nyctra

I would imagine it's similar to my method...just substituting a rope.
Granted....it takes a pretty good amount of upper body strength to do
it by hand. But...it's the method I've used for years and years.

I tried "others" and was just never satisfied with their efficiency.
Now...this "rabbit-wringer" thingy might be just the trick.
I've seen it in action and it looks easy and quick.

I need to get my video reposted....I just don't know how to do it.
Someone want to lead me through the process????Purdy please.

grumpy.

Back