Humane euthanasia/putting down?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
So my doe just had her litter Saturday. Two healthy kits and two peanuts. The two healthy are both double maned BEWs so I'm happy with that but I just hate watching the peanuts wither away. Generaly when I have peanuts my method is just kept them with the other kits until they pass. It gives the other kits warmth the first few days and then the kits die... But it is going on three days and the lil guy are still hanging on.... I hate to see them wither away and slowly starve to death :cry: .... I am a sucker for getting attached to the hopeless/reject animals too.... But with peanuts there is no way to save them so I try not to have much to do with them....So I'd like to get them out and gone so I can happily handle my other kits... So I guess what I'm asking is, if you have a kit you know is suffering and will die is there any humane way to put it out of its suffering? And honestly I'm to much of a sissy to snap the neck....

Gosh... Does that get the job done every time? My dad was saying put in a vacuumed bag with no air? Wha. I opinions on that?

Any form of blunt force to them or large amount of weight will do the trick very quickly. Paper bag on the wall, you can throw them down outside on the cement hard enough to kill them instantly, anything along these lines. The best and most humane way of killing them is through blunt force or co2 gas chamber.

Bad Habit":3nx6s98m said:
Put it in a paper bag and bash it against the wall.
That, unfortunately. I've had to euth a few kits. I place them in a plastic bag and swing it against a metal barrel several times. Only several times so I don't have to look to make sure it was done properly. :cry:

It's so...morbid. There is nothing both clean and humane for euth'ing tiny kits.

Suffocating in a plastic bag is not a humane way to go.

To be humane it must be very quick and not drawn out slowly as in suffocation or freezing.

There is research showing that neonatal rats and mice are NOT killed by CO2 and I would assume that rabbits would be the same considering they live in tunnels where CO2 levels may be higher than normal. This also explains why chilled kits can be brought back to life - their oxygen requirements for cellular function is extreamly low.

Guidelines for humane euthanasia - https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Docume ... anasia.pdf

I usually dispatch them the same way I do the larger rabbits- held by the lower end, and hitting them against a post between the head and shoulders.

to dispatch peanuts is easy (though understandably difficult emotionally).

They are so small that holding them in your hand with their head sticking out is difficult. So I simply hold them in my hand and whip them onto the floor. quick, fast, done, they don't know what hit them, no needless suffering.

With regular kits, I hold them in my hand so the head is out and whack that against a hard surface. (quick fast blunt force trauma)

the point is ALWAYS to follow through. Don't hesitate. Don't cause unnecessary suffering. Follow through on your action.

Blunt force. I hate doing it but it IS fast. Your best bet is to overdo it...as others said, don't hesitate.

Successive peanuts, I wrapped in a rag made of a torn up sheet, so I could hold it and not "see" it, but know where the head is...and then swung hard at a cement block in the garage. The first one I just held by it's body and swung against the stone countertop; it worked well (the back of the peanut's head was totally caved in) but it looked awful and made me sad. :( With the sheet I can just peek in to make sure it's dead then I can toss it in a bag and into the freezer for a friend's snakes.

Hand them to the dogs. *crunch* and that's the end of that. Especially my shiba. While my bigger dog can crush the entire body including head at once in her large jaws my smaller dog has killing things quickly down to an art form. Poor escaped chickens that were dead faster and cleaner than I could kill them with an axe.

I used to feed peanuts and kits with problems to the cats after whacking them but I had a couple that were just stunned and woke up when the cats were eating them from the back half first (they always ate them that way) which was very distressing. I went to electrocuting them. The rat trap guaranteed a 3 sec or less kill and worked on gerbils too for the cats. We have no more cats so not an issue anymore. The dogs make instant work of something that small without help.

I had one kit out of a litter of ten that wasn't getting fed and I couldn't get it to nurse, it was suffering so I cut the head off with my knife and fed it to my dog. Seemed fast but painful for a second, but not possible to mess up on such a little animal.

Latest posts

Back