Howdy from WV

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello rabbit friend. What is your goal for raising? Are you a show girl or do you, like me, just want to add to the freezer and have fun with your bunnies? Where I am in Illinois no one is buying rabbits that I have found. Our pet stores and tractor stores do not sell them.

Hello rabbit friend. What is your goal for raising? Are you a show girl or do you, like me, just want to add to the freezer and have fun with your bunnies? Where I am in Illinois no one is buying rabbits that I have found. Our pet stores and tractor stores do not sell them.
Hello rabbit friend. Mainly meat and I want to learn to tan and work with the pelts. Also I would like to show on occasion and see just how well I am doing since I know the rabbits will be judged on meat production potential as well, and fur quality. In case my grandbabies want to participate in 4H/FFA.

Hello rabbit friend. Mainly meat and I want to learn to tan and work with the pelts. Also I would like to show on occasion and see just how well I am doing since I know the rabbits will be judged on meat production potential as well, and fur quality. In case my grandbabies want to participate in 4H/FFA.
Awesome. I soak my pelts in alum and salt in a bucket for probably 3 weeks then use a fleshing knife. the best pelts i have were butchered in late november but all of them are surprisingly nice. I thought I would get into a show now and then but have changed my mind. I don't want to bring home any sickness. I'm afraid of that.

Awesome. I soak my pelts in alum and salt in a bucket for probably 3 weeks then use a fleshing knife. the best pelts i have were butchered in late november but all of them are surprisingly nice.
I have a question. It's probably dumb, where can I purchase Alum? I make quilts and house slippers etc. I want a rabbit fur quilt..

I have a question. It's probably dumb, where can I purchase Alum? I make quilts and house slippers etc. I want a rabbit fur quilt..
You can also get alum in quantity from Amazon and (I expect) from other online sellers. It's used in pickling, I believe, but not economical to buy in those smaller amounts.

I use Aluminum sulfate from any garden center--it is marketed as a soil amendment for azaleas and so on, and is much cheaper than the food grade version.
Well, that's two oddball questions I've been mulling over that you've had the answer to today! You're on a roll!

So alum is the same as aluminum sulfate? Alum is frequently mentioned as a mordant for dye and I've never known where to get it other than as an expensive item from a specialty shop. The bunnies here are angora so there's yarn but usually the only dye that gets used is indigo since that's free. If I can get some alum at reasonable rates, maybe there's something else around here that can be used to color bunny yarn.

Well, that's two oddball questions I've been mulling over that you've had the answer to today! You're on a roll!

So alum is the same as aluminum sulfate? Alum is frequently mentioned as a mordant for dye and I've never known where to get it other than as an expensive item from a specialty shop. The bunnies here are angora so there's yarn but usually the only dye that gets used is indigo since that's free. If I can get some alum at reasonable rates, maybe there's something else around here that can be used to color bunny yarn.
You have angora? I crochet and have been curious if a couple angora would be worth it to make my own yarn.

Latest posts

Back