Howdy, and some questions on the "Swedish method"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
Hey guys, how's it going? It's been a while... :) Rabbits are doing great--some bunnies out in the orchard right now in a tractor, enjoying the lush clover.

Anyway, I was researching the "swedish method" on this site and I've tried it once. Before that I was using essentially the method shown by bowbuild in his video, which I like and am able to do reliably and well. I think it's a great method. However the only thing I wasn't happy with was that my rabs often object violently to being held upside down even for a few seconds--they often kick and scream, and sometimes I get scratched or even bitten. But with the "swedish method" they just sit there calmly. This is pretty nice! My discovering the discussions about it on here the other day couldn't have come at a more serendipitous time. I really like the concept. However, I'm unsure of how hard to strike the blow--for the sake of being humane, I'd rather whack too hard than not hard enough, but I also want to do it right if I'm going to do it--it has to be justifiable taking the extra step and all--and from what I've read it seems like the goal is only to stun without actually killing or crushing the skull (as happens with the "one hit" methods like the one Bowbuild uses). But how? (FWI I can strike plenty hard enough to kill a rabbit instantly, being a healthy man in his 30s who does manual labor, so simply having enough strength is not a concern). I know this is probably hard if not impossible to describe in writing how hard to strike, but any tips or insight (on tools, technique, etc) from others would be greatly appreciated. I thought it couldn't hurt to ask!

Cheers! (and thanks!)

ramblingrabbit":34tjugr3 said:
from what I've read it seems like the goal is only to stun without actually killing or crushing the skull

My goal is to kill them instantly, not merely stun them, and crushing the skull is not a concern of mine since I am not keeping them for taxidermy purposes or anything like that.

I think that your confusion may stem from the discussions about stunning rendering the pain centers inactive? :? When I have posted comments about that it is merely as a reassurance that they shouldn't feel pain when the throat is cut to bleed them out if they are still alive. You might even want to strike them again if you don't believe they are truly dead- but as long as there is no corneal reflex (blinking) when the eyeball is touched, they wont feel anything.

The heart continues to pump for a variable amount of time even after death, so being alive during bleed out isn't really necessary.

ramblingrabbit":34tjugr3 said:
with the "swedish method" they just sit there calmly. This is pretty nice!

I really like that aspect, too. :) My rabbits are used to being taken out and evaluated to see if they are "keepers" or not, so they are totally unsuspecting when they are going to be dispatched. I like to spend a bit of time petting them before striking them so that their last moments are peaceful.

Awesome, and thank you for the (very quick!) reply, Mamasheepdog. Your clarification and confirmation about that makes total sense--and makes me feel much more comfortable (that is, now I don't have to worry about a rabbit waking up after being insufficiently whacked). (BTW I have never been a fan of bleeding out animals while still alive, and have always favored and recommended "instant death" techniques for all livestock. To me any of the arguments against them just don't hold up to scrutiny...)

MamaSheepdog":2ryng3ti said:
ramblingrabbit":2ryng3ti said:
with the "swedish method" they just sit there calmly. This is pretty nice!

I really like that aspect, too. :) My rabbits are used to being taken out and evaluated to see if they are "keepers" or not, so they are totally unsuspecting when they are going to be dispatched. I like to spend a bit of time petting them before striking them so that their last moments are peaceful.

Yes, not only was it nice, it was actually kind of impressive! :shock: And yes, I too will be sure to give them a bit of petting, absolutely! I used to think that it was best to just get it over with as quickly as possible in order to be humane, but I've come around more and more recently towards the importance of minimizing stress in every way (not that I didn't think that before, just that I feel my emphasis has shifted a little). Not only does it make it more civilized and more...well...stress-free for everybody, but it also makes a profound impression on anyone observing, and I really believe in improves the quality of the food in a meaningful way.

Thanks again! I appreciate it. :)

Latest posts

Back