Howdy all!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Just joined. Wanted to say howdy and give a brief rundown.
I raised meat rabbits as a kid but that was a generous few years ago ;). Forgotten most everything. I've been buying whole rabbits but have finally decided to start raising them myself again. They are very expensive to buy. We had a pet rabbit for 8 years who either escaped or was released after easter so we ended up with her till she passed. Recently brought home a trio of Tamuk rabbits. They have settled in well although it did take a few days. A few days ago attempted a breeding but didn't get a single fall off. Guessing they just aren't quite old enough yet although the breeder said they were ready to go. So we'll wait and try again in another month.
Looking forward to getting to know you and learning from everyone. Hopefully offer some help in return at some point.
:)

DOB:
Buck- 1/15/24
Doe #1- 1/16/24
Doe #2- 2/21/24
So just turned 6 months and almost 5 months
I'm assuming (and hoping-) this was their first time breeding, and since they're just reaching a good breeding age I doubt you'll get much for the time being
You can breed a five month old but they're still pretty young and the youngest I limit myself to is 5.5 months and that's only if it's 'urgent'

So just turned 6 months and almost 5 months
I'm assuming (and hoping-) this was their first time breeding, and since they're just reaching a good breeding age I doubt you'll get much for the time being
You can breed a five month old but they're still pretty young and the youngest I limit myself to is 5.5 months and that's only if it's 'urgent'
Correct. This was their first breeding attempt. The breeder said they were ready to start but hadn't put them in rotation yet. That's why I gave it a go. Hoping since I never saw a successful fall off and neither doe noticeably lifted for him that both were unsuccessful. The older doe sure wanted to ride him and get his attention so was surprised when it appeared they weren't successful. The younger doe just sat there while he gave a good effort. He gave quite a few attempts on both does (different days) while together but not one successful fall off on either doe's attempt. Figured I'd try again in another month. Just don't want to miss the signs of a pending litter if possibly bred. Without a fall off I am assuming neither was successful.
Thank you for the information. :)

Hello and Welcome R Buns!

New Zealand and Rex rabbits here in Montana. I breed my rabbits a bit older myself. Personal choice. Mentally they are not necessarily ready even if they are physically. I haven't a clue about your breed though - other than the breed was developed by Texas A & M for heat tolerance. My favorite college.

Thank you! I looked for New Zealands for quite a while with no luck. Most people I contacted no longer have rabbits. Others changed breeds or just had cute ones to sell as pets. Wanted just plain white meat rabbits. When these came up in an add I decided to try them because they are more heat tolerant and white in this case. Finish earlier for processing which is always a plus. After being bit tonight however I am more inclined to keep looking for New Zealands. I don't want pets but charging to bite is a bit of a no for me.

Thank you! I looked for New Zealands for quite a while with no luck. Most people I contacted no longer have rabbits. Others changed breeds or just had cute ones to sell as pets. Wanted just plain white meat rabbits. When these came up in an add I decided to try them because they are more heat tolerant and white in this case. Finish earlier for processing which is always a plus. After being bit tonight however I am more inclined to keep looking for New Zealands. I don't want pets but charging to bite is a bit of a no for me.
Yes, charging and biting is a non-starter for us, too. However you may not have much better luck with NZs. Most meat rabbits are selected for meat production qualities, and it's often the case that not too much attention is paid to temperament. It took several generations for me to breed my Satins (which are a breed I've heard judges call "satans") into the sweethearts they are now.

You might try to get one round of litters out of your buck before putting him in the pot, then be choosy about which of his offspring you keep to replace him. Chances are that not all of his get will have the same problems.

Yes, charging and biting is a non-starter for us, too. However you may not have much better luck with NZs. Most meat rabbits are selected for meat production qualities, and it's often the case that not too much attention is paid to temperament. It took several generations for me to breed my Satins (which are a breed I've heard judges call "satans") into the sweethearts they are now.

You might try to get one round of litters out of your buck before putting him in the pot, then be choosy about which of his offspring you keep to replace him. Chances are that not all of his get will have the same problems.
Satans. 😂 Sounds like you had to do some culling to get good temperaments. I am a big stickler on temperaments in all our other livestock.
I have reached out to the breeder this evening after the bit incident and we will be talking the end of the week. I am hoping that a swap will take place. I have no interest in biting rabbits. Honestly he'd be processed now if not for waiting for the breeders options/opinions. The breeder is a larger breeder for meat so hopefully will take this seriously. Especially for breeding stock prices. Unfortunately I'll have to deal with this buck for now. Not sure how I am going to manage that with his food and water being inside his pen. Although he does have a water bottle that he may get stuck with instead of a bowl and bottle. The bottle is more of a backup water source since they do knock bowls around. They seem to drink more with dishes so that's why I have them offered. Plus the bottles stay warmer than the crocks.
I will keep in mind getting a litter first. Also keeping a buck from it. I don't have intentions of keeping any offspring for a while anyways but dealing with putting does in and out of his cage for breeding along with daily feeding/water could be an issue. Not something I expected to be dealing with.
Thank you very much for the advice!

Satans. 😂 Sounds like you had to do some culling to get good temperaments. I am a big stickler on temperaments in all our other livestock.
I have reached out to the breeder this evening after the bit incident and we will be talking the end of the week. I am hoping that a swap will take place. I have no interest in biting rabbits. Honestly he'd be processed now if not for waiting for the breeders options/opinions. The breeder is a larger breeder for meat so hopefully will take this seriously. Especially for breeding stock prices. Unfortunately I'll have to deal with this buck for now. Not sure how I am going to manage that with his food and water being inside his pen. Although he does have a water bottle that he may get stuck with instead of a bowl and bottle. The bottle is more of a backup water source since they do knock bowls around. They seem to drink more with dishes so that's why I have them offered. Plus the bottles stay warmer than the crocks.
I will keep in mind getting a litter first. Also keeping a buck from it. I don't have intentions of keeping any offspring for a while anyways but dealing with putting does in and out of his cage for breeding along with daily feeding/water could be an issue. Not something I expected to be dealing with.
Thank you very much for the advice!
Yes, I had to cull pretty hard. In fact that's why I have selfs and otters, instead of coppers, chinchillas, and my very favorite, reds. All of the agouti Satins I had for several years were n-a-s-t-y.

Hopefully the breeder will have sympathy for your situation and give you a trade. I know some bigger breeders have biosecurity concerns, though, and don't necessarily like to risk bringing rabbits back once they've left the property.

I have no idea what your buck's particular problem is, of course, but for the time being, there are some things you might try to encourage him to calm down a little.

If you can isolate him from other rabbits, that might help. I don't mean take him to a different building (though that might actually help), just make sure there are solid dividers between him and all other rabbits. It doesn't sound like you have any other males, but I've had bucks that were driven to distraction by being able to see others.

If he's lunging/biting out of fear, maybe giving him a hide, like a three-sided box with no floor, would give him a place to go to get away from you. The problem with that, though, is that when you bring him a doe to breed, she'll probably use it to hide from him, so it would need to be removable or able to be blocked off.

Keeping him on a water bottle and getting a feeder you can fill from outside would make it possible, at least in the short run, to take care of him without having to do what he seems to think is invading his space. Yes, rabbits tend to drink more from crocks, but many of them do just fine with bottles.

Giving him treats (grass, dandelion leaves and flowers, chickweed, etc.) through the wire might eventually help him understand you're the source of good things rather than a threat. Start with just dropping the stems through the wire on top and sweet-talking him. Eventually he'll probably come up to take the stuff through the side wire. A little patience can go a long way; resist the urge to punish him, which just seems to escalate things.

Likewise, bringing him does to breed might also get you in his good graces after a while. I have had bucks that weren't especially friendly, then after I'd brought them a few "dates" they couldn't wait to see me. :ROFLMAO: But if your buck had never been bred and you brought him his first does, he may be just over-the-top excited. If that's the case, he'll probably relax after a few more breeding attempts. Alternatively, if the super-assertive older doe really bothered him by mounting him, he may be responding aggressively for that reason. Either way, he may very well mellow out, at least a little; if you just recently got them all, he's probably still figuring out where he is and who and what is safe. I still wouldn't keep him, as I want my rabbits easy-going right out of the gate. But it might buy you some time while you find another option, and make his life, and yours, a little less stressful and more pleasant in the meantime.

Last edited:
Yes, I had to cull pretty hard. In fact that's why I have selfs and otters, instead of coppers, chinchillas, and my very favorite, reds. All of the agouti Satins I had for several years were n-a-s-t-y.

Hopefully the breeder will have sympathy for your situation and give you a trade. I know some bigger breeders have biosecurity concerns, though, and don't necessarily like to risk bringing rabbits back once they've left the property.

I have no idea what your buck's particular problem is, of course, but for the time being, there are some things you might try to encourage him to calm down a little.

If you can isolate him from other rabbits, that might help. I don't mean take him to a different building (though that might actually help), just make sure there are solid dividers between him and all other rabbits. It doesn't sound like you have any other males, but I've had bucks that were driven to distraction by being able to see others.

If he's lunging/biting out of fear, maybe giving him a hide, like a three-sided box with no floor, would give him a place to go to get away from you. The problem with that, though, is that when you bring him a doe to breed, she'll probably use it to hide from him, so it would need to be removable or able to be blocked off.

Keeping him on a water bottle and getting a feeder you can fill from outside would make it possible, at least in the short run, to take care of him without having to do what he seems to think is invading his space. Yes, rabbits tend to drink more from crocks, but many of them do just fine with bottles.

Giving him treats (grass, dandelion leaves and flowers, chickweed, etc.) through the wire might eventually help him understand you're the source of good things rather than a threat. Start with just dropping the stems through the wire on top and sweet-talking him. Eventually he'll probably come up to take the stuff through the side wire. A little patience can go a long way; resist the urge to punish him, which just seems to escalate things.

Likewise, bringing him does to breed might also get you in his good graces after a while. I have had bucks that weren't especially friendly, then after I'd brought them a few "dates" they couldn't wait to see me. :ROFLMAO: But if your buck had never been bred and you brought him his first does, he may be just over-the-top excited. If that's the case, he'll probably relax after a few more breeding attempts. Alternatively, if the super-assertive older doe really bothered him by mounting him, he may be responding aggressively for that reason. Either way, he may very well mellow out, at least a little; if you just recently got them all, he's probably still figuring out where he is and who and what is safe. I still wouldn't keep him, as I want my rabbits easy-going right out of the gate. But it might buy you some time while you find another option, and make his life, and yours, a little less stressful and more pleasant in the meantime.

Thank you for all the advice. Much appreciated! I agree that I want easy going right out of the gate. Too many good rabbits to deal with that. I was wondering about the breeding attempt. He seemed fine with her mounting him he just got back around her and went at it he just never got the job done. At least no fall off.
The breeder has been awesome. I was very surprised at how serious it was taken. Was a very pleasant surprise. He is being swapping out and headed to the processor with more rabbits to be done. The new buck is a bit younger but that's ok. I am really itching to get to breeding but I guess that isn't in the cards yet. Really don't want to wait till fall to start breeding. Maybe he will be an early bloomer and the doe's will be older.
This buck has been rabbit boxing me and trying to bite every time I get his bowls. I've been wearing feral cat gloves and using my spouses back scratcher to grab his bowls. 😂 It's been working and the last 2 nights he just moves to the back of his cage and gives me evil bun looks. Of course I took his water bowl out so I am only grabbing a food bowl.
He is alone with no other rabbits in site. He could probably see wild rabbits from a distance. He's in a stacker cage but has no one next to him.
So far he has refused any treats I've tried to give him. He just wants his food and hay. Same with one of the two does. One doe is coming around and I was able to pet her a little tonight without her moving away or saying anything. I just gave her a couple light strokes and then left her alone. She even ate her treat. I haven't tried hand feeding her a treat yet. Trying to give her time. The breeder was very helpful there too. I like that doe very much so far. I've been trying to let her make the moves and it seems to be working just slowly. Fine with me. I don't need pets just not fearful or aggressive. I would have no problem culling him if I hadn't bought him at breeder prices. Hopefully things will start getting better and in a month or so we can start trying again for litters.

What is the ideal age of a Tamuk buck and Tamuk doe to start breeding? I've seen mixed ages. @RabbitsOfTheCreek stated above 5 1/2 was early but can be done. I am seeing a lot of different ages online and in books for different breeds. I want to get to breeding BUT don't want to push them. Would rather wait a bit longer and get the possibility of longevity and good litter sizes longer term. Although we are getting into the heat now so while I know they can be ok in the heat it's probably not a good idea to be having litters in August/September when it's constantly over 100*. Although the last few weeks have been abnormally hot for us. 90's-103*.
Another question is if you had a trio and wanted to breed them would you recommend breeding the two does "together" or separated in time. Obviously the buck won't breed both the same day but a day or two apart as far as "together". I've tossed around both options. Seems together might be better? If there is a need to surrogate some kits that gives me the option. Also growing them out and processing at the same.
Thoughts?
Thanks again everyone! Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Another question is if you had a trio and wanted to breed them would you recommend breeding the two does "together" or separated in time. Obviously the buck won't breed both the same day but a day or two apart as far as "together". I've tossed around both options. Seems together might be better? If there is a need to surrogate some kits that gives me the option. Also growing them out and processing at the same.
Thoughts?
I would breed the two Does around the same time. They have their Kits at almost the same time and if something goes wrong, they can be given to the other Doe

What is the ideal age of a Tamuk buck and Tamuk doe to start breeding? I've seen mixed ages. @RabbitsOfTheCreek stated above 5 1/2 was early but can be done. I am seeing a lot of different ages online and in books for different breeds. I want to get to breeding BUT don't want to push them. Would rather wait a bit longer and get the possibility of longevity and good litter sizes longer term. Although we are getting into the heat now so while I know they can be ok in the heat it's probably not a good idea to be having litters in August/September when it's constantly over 100*. Although the last few weeks have been abnormally hot for us. 90's-103*.
Thoughts?
I don't raise Tamuks, but all of the normally-sized meat breeds I've raised (Satin, Californian, New Zealand, Champagne D'Argent) do fine at roughly 6mos for does and 5-6 months for bucks. They don't need to be senior weight, but they should be nearing that weight; if does are noticeably small or are not in glowing health, I give them another month or so (if I breed them at all, since I want healthy, fast-growing rabbits).

My bucks breed two does in a day without any issues whatsoever (and they're happy to oblige! :ROFLMAO:), from my youngest bucks to my old guys (a 5-1/2-year-old white Satin named Girdwood, and a 9-year-old BEW Polish named Jazzy). In fact I try to breed all the does I'm breeding in any particular cycle on the same day, if possible. If I'm using the same buck, for instance when I'm breeding for matched meat pen bunnies, I take him one doe and get 2-4 fall-offs, give him 5-10 minutes to groom himself, then bring him the second doe. I wait an hour, then bring him the same does in the same order.

There was a tantalizing study - tantalizing because I can't find it - that indicated that a one-hour interval between breedings yielded the highest rates of conception and largest litter sizes. Since rabbits are induced ovulators, meaning they ovulate as a result of attention by a buck, that makes sense. And while I can tell you that in my barn a single fall-off will usually produce bunnies, I want to maximize production, so I use all the tricks I know. :ROFLMAO:

I don't raise Tamuks, but all of the normally-sized meat breeds I've raised (Satin, Californian, New Zealand, Champagne D'Argent) do fine at roughly 6mos for does and 5-6 months for bucks. They don't need to be senior weight, but they should be nearing that weight; if does are noticeably small or are not in glowing health, I give them another month or so (if I breed them at all, since I want healthy, fast-growing rabbits).

My bucks breed two does in a day without any issues whatsoever (and they're happy to oblige! :ROFLMAO:), from my youngest bucks to my old guys (a 5-1/2-year-old white Satin named Girdwood, and a 9-year-old BEW Polish named Jazzy). In fact I try to breed all the does I'm breeding in any particular cycle on the same day, if possible. If I'm using the same buck, for instance when I'm breeding for matched meat pen bunnies, I take him one doe and get 2-4 fall-offs, give him 5-10 minutes to groom himself, then bring him the second doe. I wait an hour, then bring him the same does in the same order.

There was a tantalizing study - tantalizing because I can't find it - that indicated that a one-hour interval between breedings yielded the highest rates of conception and largest litter sizes. Since rabbits are induced ovulators, meaning they ovulate as a result of attention by a buck, that makes sense. And while I can tell you that in my barn a single fall-off will usually produce bunnies, I want to maximize production, so I use all the tricks I know. :ROFLMAO:
That is fantastic! Glad they are happy to oblige😂.
Wow. I am happy to read this method. I was under the impression one buck will breed one doe per day and you breed that doe a second time 12 hours later. Seemed odd to me since most animals breed multiple animals per day just fine. Your method actually works so much better for my current schedule than 12 hours apart, 1 doe per day. I’m writing this down. Thank you!

Well the problem buck is on his way to be processed. Had quite the time getting him caught and in a cage. So glad seeing him go. New buck is younger. That pushes breeding back even farther. It will be ok though.
Was able to pet him a little right out of the cage and he immediately went to eating.
For a 12 week old that will be a breeder how would y’all be feeding him? Free choice or by his weight?

Back